Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

there's this little concept called "equal protection under the law"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'm all for holding people accountable but I fail to see why random drug testing does that. All that will tell you is whether someone used a drug, nothing else. That's really NOT the definition of "accountability", it's just the answer to the question "have you used a drug?".

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Well sweetie, I am actually quite well acquainted with the issue. Especially since I've lived in states where medical marijuana has been either close to being legalized or actually has been legalized.

Living where they ALMOST legalized pot doesn't mean you know anything. Weird that you would think that.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:04 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Let's hold them accountable. If any government employee shows traces of drugs, discharge the employee and prosecute. Do the same for food stamp and other welfare recipients. Let's even include people receiving unemployment benefits.

When people live off the earnings of others, they deserve to be treated as second class citizens.
Yet another example of a solution in search of a problem.

Actually, it is thinking such as this which is contributing quite a bit to our current national anxiety. Rather than trying to better identify root problems and come up with long term solutions, we keep recycling this "I'm better than you" junk, trying to find alternative ways to get the message out to targeted classes of folks (and the target keeps moving) that "I'm better than you are, and don't you forget it".

Kind of a path towards cyclical losing, in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Many federal jobs require random urinalysis tests; it would depend on the type of job and the security clearance one possesses.

But that's a fact, so it won't matter.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm all for holding people accountable but I fail to see why random drug testing does that. All that will tell you is whether someone used a drug, nothing else. That's really NOT the definition of "accountability", it's just the answer to the question "have you used a drug?".
Not only will it tell you whether someone has used a drug, it can also depending on the type of test, tell you what drugs.

People accepting any type of public benefits, should not be wasting that money on recreational pharmaceuticals. That money is being provided for survival, and really should be utilized for that purpose. If you have money to waste on drugs, maybe you don't need as much money as you are receiving?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM

465 posts, read 463,873 times
I think a lot of people in this thread are looking at this in a sort of Utopian way.

Sometimes you have to forget how things work in a perfect world and just be realistic about human nature.

People do drugs. And if someone is broke and struggling they probably will drink a little bit or get a little high to feel good. That's just human nature.

It seems like it's another righteous battle that's doomed to fail. Controlling people's drug intake is almost always a losing battle. It's Utopian, it denies human nature.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:25 AM

170 posts, read 270,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Drug testing all welfare recipients would be a waste of tax payers money. Most welfare recipients are elderly or children. Test only when their case worker feels there is justification. Same with federal workers.

Yeah for the children. I don't see many children cashing welfare checks, it goes to the parents or guardians. I worked in a grocery store while I was going to school in a lower income neighborhood years ago, when they still actually had stamps so you knew who was using them.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many kids where told no you cant have a candy, because I cant afford it as the adult bought cigarettes, beer, or liquor. I know candy isn't the best thing to ask for but do you think the adults answer would have changed if the child wanted milk, juice or a piece of fruit?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Let's hold them accountable. If any government employee shows traces of drugs, discharge the employee and prosecute. Do the same for food stamp and other welfare recipients. Let's even include people receiving unemployment benefits.

When people live off the earnings of others, they deserve to be treated as second class citizens.
This may be the most ignorant, mean-spirited post I've seen on CD, sounds like you've been listening to too much Palin and not interacting with people enough (out in sparsely populated/sparsely important Wyoming).

What do you do for a living sir? Are you sure it's not "living off the earnings of others"? Let me know so you can be accountable. In the meantime, pay your taxes cheapskate.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Of course.

No one who has money for drugs should be living off the taxpayers' dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies