Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does your religion or lack thereof affect your politics?
I'm religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 5 8.93%
I'm religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm not religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 8 14.29%
I'm not religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 4 7.14%
I'm not religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:19 PM

565 posts, read 484,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Boy are you off the subject of this thread!!!

Nita
The subject of this thread is "How does your religion affect your political views?"

I wrote that I can’t understand how one can be a Christian and deny people a right to good health care.
What allows you to say that this sentiment that I have is not based on my Christian values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM

783 posts, read 813,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I can't vote in your poll. I'm of other faith than Christian. In our small town, everyone knows everyone else. I can attest that there are many fervent Christians who are very liberal in nature and live their lives according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.These people are pillars of the community. The whole foundation of the teachings of Jesus Christ is built on the concept of compassion. This quality is sorely lacking in many of the agendas espoused by the christian right wing of the republican party.

Quote by Andrea

"the whole premise of many views of the left are contradictory to what a Christian would believe."

Your above quote conveys a premise that is not factual in nature and taints the whole thread with personal bias. Maybe that's why no one is polling.
Well said i agee with you completely.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,127,747 times
"Anti-Christian" left views:

Supports the choice of abortion, not the taking of a life, leaving any moral dilemma up to the participants rather than society.
Supports the right to know about taboo subjects like homosexuality and finds it unreasonable to oppose something that is not dangerous and is not a choice.
Supports the separation of church and state including Christian and all other religious references in public (government) places.
Supports the legal recognition of gay marriage as a outgrowth of their belief in fairness to all, without judgment.
Supports the environment and its need to remain as God intended without being subjected to human recklessness.

Yeah, those lefties don't adhere to anything in the Bible, do they?

Shall we now discuss where the right willfully adopts sinful behavior as outlined in the Bible? Neither side is a real saint, but when anyone claims God is conservative or Republican, they are walking down roads that historically get covered in blood.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 11-21-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,392,941 times
The scariest part of you opening statement was the part "we are to do what pleases him"
So everyone that believes and worships their God, or Gods, regardless of their religion, get's a free pass to do whatever they want, as long as they figure it pleases him. Next question.....how do they know what pleases him?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,315,515 times
My beliefs shape who I am and my beliefs are part of my political stance.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
"Anti-Christian" left views:

Supports the choice of abortion, not the taking of a life, leaving any moral dilemma up to the participants rather than society.
So why don't y'all leave the moral dilemma of not being able to feed or get health care for a 2 day old up to the participants who had said 2 day old, rather than society? There's adoption instead of handouts. Shoot, there's even condoms (or, get this one: don't have sex if you can't afford the consequence whether it be a baby or the HIV cocktail) that would prevent someone who can't afford to feed or medically care for a 2 day old.

Quote:
Supports the right to know about taboo subjects like homosexuality and finds it unreasonable to oppose something that is not dangerous and is not a choice.
Supports the right to know about taboo subjects at what age and in what environment? In school, during 2nd grade?

Quote:
Supports the separation of church and state including Christian and all other religious references in public (government) places.
You want to go over what "separation of church from state" was meant for and how anti-Christians have twisted it to fit their hatred?

Quote:
Supports the legal recognition of gay marriage as a outgrowth of the belief in fairness to all without judgment.
Good luck getting rid of "judging" others when the left is so quick on the draw to toss anything remotely Christian under any on-coming at full speed bus.

Quote:
Supports the environment and its need to remain as God intended without being subjected to human recklessness.
What does this mean? I should trade in my Suburban for a Prius?

Quote:
Yeah, those lefties don't adhere to anything in the Bible, do they?
Do you own a bible?

Quote:
Shall we now discuss where the right willfully adopts sinful behavior as outlined in the Bible?
Anyone who lives word for the word by the bible or any other religious reference book is a nut job. Just look at those crazy fundy Muslims...

And anyone who USES a religious reference book to claim they KNOW how all who take LESSONS from said book are SUPPOSED to live their lives is just as crazy.

Quote:
Neither side is a saint, but when anyone claims God is conservative or Republican, they are walking down roads that in history have been covered in blood.
Ancient history? Get over it. Who do you know, in 2010, thinks a crusade was a good thing? At the same time, the Roman Empire Pagans weren't so nice. What did they do to Christians until they figured out that their religious loyalty would serve the Empire well - ? And ALL for political reasons. The Pagans (and any religion or lifestyle or beliefs that come from it) aren't so pure in their history either.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,387,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For me, one has NOTHING to do with the other. In fact, when a politician starts yammering about religion, i immediately turn the channel and dismiss it. If they go a step further and start talking about how they apply faith to their politics and policy, i immediately dismiss them as kooks and pay them no more mind ever again.

For once, i wish a politician would just say that they don't have any religious beliefs and that they're in fact atheists.
Quote:
I assure myself that it expresses your sentiments not less than my own, nor those of my fellow-citizens at large less than either. No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than those of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency; and in the important revolution just accomplished in the system of their united government the tranquil deliberations and voluntary consent of so many distinct communities from which the event has resulted can not be compared with the means by which most governments have been established without some return of pious gratitude, along with an humble anticipation of the future blessings which the past seem to presage.
George Washington: First Inaugural Address. U.S. Inaugural Addresses. 1989

Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM

565 posts, read 484,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
So why don't y'all leave the moral dilemma of not being able to feed or get health care for a 2 day old up to the participants who had said 2 day old, rather than society? There's adoption instead of handouts. Shoot, there's even condoms (or, get this one: don't have sex if you can't afford the consequence whether it be a baby or the HIV cocktail) that would prevent someone who can't afford to feed or medically care for a 2 day old.
Supports the right to know about taboo subjects at what age and in what environment? In school, during 2nd grade?
You want to go over what "separation of church from state" was meant for and how anti-Christians have twisted it to fit their hatred?
Good luck getting rid of "judging" others when the left is so quick on the draw to toss anything remotely Christian under any on-coming at full speed bus.
What does this mean? I should trade in my Suburban for a Prius?
Do you own a bible?
Anyone who lives word for the word by the bible or any other religious reference book is a nut job. Just look at those crazy fundy Muslims...

And anyone who USES a religious reference book to claim they KNOW how all who take LESSONS from said book are SUPPOSED to live their lives is just as crazy.
Ancient history? Get over it. Who do you know, in 2010, thinks a crusade was a good thing? At the same time, the Roman Empire Pagans weren't so nice. What did they do to Christians until they figured out that their religious loyalty would serve the Empire well - ? And ALL for political reasons. The Pagans (and any religion or lifestyle or beliefs that come from it) aren't so pure in their history either.

You give me the feeling you are one of those crocodiles in the river ready to jump on anything that moves.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,566,456 times
I am capable of compartmentalization. The two should have nothing to do with each other. I don't get involved in politics--because politics offends me. But I don't attend religious services either. I have beliefs, I just don't see the need to attend services.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
You give me the feeling you are one of those crocodiles in the river ready to jump on anything that moves.
Why?

You can't handle the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies