Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on corporate america? How would you rate it?
1 - Best thing to ever happen to the US 7 7.61%
2 - great! 3 3.26%
3 - more good than bad 12 13.04%
4 - Just as good as bad 8 8.70%
5 - more bad than good 23 25.00%
6 - horrible! 5 5.43%
7 - Pure evil and will ruin this country 34 36.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
So they should lose money so that those w/jobs have no jobs? And all this "saturating"...... It's called marketing, btw, and if you don't like it you don't have to "saturate" yourself in the product.

Some day people must think for themselves and not blame others for their own decisions.

But then again, we are just ruled by these "giant corps".
Yea, we can choose to live in cabins on the Alaskan tundra I suppose, or sequester ourselves in our basements with our ears plugged and our eyes closed to avoid it. What a life!

But since it's only "marketing" you'd have to be just as crazy to dislike it when someone else tries to manipulate you every moment of your waking life. The new normal... (BTW, you may have been manipulated into accepting that our world is supposed to be like that )

Also, it's strange that unemployment was never an issue until the industrial and then service based economies came to be. Not to mention that we can't exactly choose to opt out. After all, the Man will raid your farm for selling raw milk or unapproved meat, and take your farm for not paying taxes. Nor can you just go up to the hills and hunt for your food, or gather the raw necessities of life. That would make you a criminal, per the Man.
Yet somehow, this is the individual's fault for making the wrong choices. Where exactly do we make the "choice"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Not worth wasting bullets on. Whack'em with a shovel

Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Everyone seems to be focusing on the "macro" aspects here. I have worked in corp's many years and I abhor them with a passion (PS I'm not complaining, I realize it's been ultimately my choice) because they are soul-sucking machines, often led by "managers" who have zero interest in dealing with their subordinates/etc as people, but merely as assets. I have worked with and for hundreds of people, am socially skilled such that I got along with most well, yet can count on 1, perhaps 2 hands how many I would care in the least if I ever saw again, and they are far out-numbered by the POSs who would just as soon stab you in the back as look at you, if it served them. IMO did not always used to be this bad and is becoming worse as time goes on...and the bigger the corp, the worse it is.

I'm reminded of that line in "Scent of a Woman" where Pacino says he'd rather shoot Charlie than see him sell out and "take his place in that long gray line" of corporate America, dying a death of a thousand cuts.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
So they should lose money so that those w/jobs have no jobs? And all this "saturating"...... It's called marketing, btw, and if you don't like it you don't have to "saturate" yourself in the product.

Some day people must think for themselves and not blame others for their own decisions.

But then again, we are just ruled by these "giant corps".
Thank you!

I would add there is ALWAYS some institution with some agenda for control trying to dominate peoples' lives. It can be and is all of the following: religion, government, corporations, education, the media, labor unions, non-profit think tanks, and much more.

...And here so many of us are down at the bottom saying "corporations are bad, government good" or vice versa. Truth is, the people at the top of these organizations do not care about anyone else, and that's how it's always been.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yea, we can choose to live in cabins on the Alaskan tundra I suppose, or sequester ourselves in our basements with our ears plugged and our eyes closed to avoid it. What a life!

But since it's only "marketing" you'd have to be just as crazy to dislike it when someone else tries to manipulate you every moment of your waking life. The new normal... (BTW, you may have been manipulated into accepting that our world is supposed to be like that )

Also, it's strange that unemployment was never an issue until the industrial and then service based economies came to be. Not to mention that we can't exactly choose to opt out. After all, the Man will raid your farm for selling raw milk or unapproved meat, and take your farm for not paying taxes. Nor can you just go up to the hills and hunt for your food, or gather the raw necessities of life. That would make you a criminal, per the Man.
Yet somehow, this is the individual's fault for making the wrong choices. Where exactly do we make the "choice"?
No, I don't like it when people try to manipulate, but I can see thru their BS....most of the time. Can't blame them if I get "sucked in", it was my choice.

Unemployment has always been an issue. Maybe the real problem is if someone is unemployable. Then what do they do? They better learn a trade or get a good box to live in.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Thank you!

I would add there is ALWAYS some institution with some agenda for control trying to dominate peoples' lives. It can be and is all of the following: religion, government, corporations, education, the media, labor unions, non-profit think tanks, and much more.

...And here so many of us are down at the bottom saying "corporations are bad, government good" or vice versa. Truth is, the people at the top of these organizations do not care about anyone else, and that's how it's always been.
If you've never been to the "top" of an organization, then how would you know if they care? I guarantee they care. They do not care about people who are disrespectful, don't follow directions, and when that employee doesn't care. Then that person is on the streets.

There are a few, just like anything, that don't care and will rob you blind. You cannot say that all are like that. Would be no different than if I had an employee who was lazy to say that ALL employees are lazy.

Just my opinion, keep the change.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I don't know if I think corps are bad per se, but some of them have an agenda that seems purely evil to me at times. Two that come to my mind and both arose out of my home state, are Wal-Mart and Monsanto. (I know Wally World started in Arkansas, but Bud Walton is from Columbia, MO.)

Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I don't know if I think corps are bad per se, but some of them have an agenda that seems purely evil to me at times. Two that come to my mind and both arose out of my home state, are Wal-Mart and Monsanto. (I know Wally World started in Arkansas, but Bud Walton is from Columbia, MO.)

Why Wal-Mart and Monsanto? Due to competition w/mom & pop business'?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
In my opinion it's never been a question of whether corporations are all that dangerous on their own, or that government is truly a terrible thing, but, the combination of government and corporations working in concert are really a combination to be feared. Here on CD the rants go back and forth over the fear/hatred for both entities as singular objects of derision, but their combined power is no match for the likes of the average citizen or a large group of citizens for that matter. I don't see any way that we'll ever unseat this combination from it's ruling perch.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Having worked for a fortune 150 Company for 30 years, what concerns me is the drive for profits, without concern for the workers, Oh yeah the Corporate Moto is always Safety first, Enviromental protection, respect for employees, bla bla bla. But the avg. CEO makes 400 times the amount of a line worker, up from 20 times in 1980. Only a few private companies offer real Pension Plans anymore, they now offer 401K's in which you save for your own retirement. They have cut medical and dental all the wile making record profits....by sending new jobs oversees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies