Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 248 View Post
Please defend yourselves.
We don't have to defend our beliefs. Everyone is entitled to have them. I don't expect you or anyone else to defend your opinions. It's a free country, we can live where we want for the most part. If I want a white neighborhood it should be of no concern to you. You live your life and I'll live mine. We'll just do our best to stear clear of each other. That's my take.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 124,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
The only person losing here are the Blacks. The Whites are doing fine in the suburbs where jobs are nicer and communites safer...
Just the attitude that keeps us in the condition we're in. France is a country and a nation - England is a country and a nation - Greece is a country and a nation...America is a country - far from a nation. When will America ever learn that as long as the lesser man continues to be the lesser man, the greater man (only in terms of majority and minority do I say lesser/greater) will always be held down. Sure, your initial response may be, "well tell those blacks to get their act together and get a job...etc" - but you can't because so many already have. Sure the tide is turning in this country as we see more and more black men and women trickling into the socially and economically elite of this country, but our country is fundamentally divided. There exists White America and Black America - Majority America and Minority America...there is no nation here. I have purposely not relied on slavery issues to fuel this discussion - its not necessary, we all know what this nation's forefathers did. However, that gives us no excuse to forget it.

Honestly...with the Jim Crow Law era and Civil Rights era only a little more than century out of view, do you honestly expect the, then poorest and most down trotten race of people to be at the exact same economic level as the people who stood on top of them? Remember, America is a young country in comparison with the world. 100 years is sometimes only a fourth of the duration of some asian dynasties where peoples lived under the same conditions for centuries. Blacks are making a distinctive change in our economic power and growth and that is visibly obvious. I will be the first to say that there are numerous problems in our communities where our entertainment industry has promoted many bad images for a long time. However...who usually owns these multi-million dollar record labels? And who runs these multi-million dollar production companies? We all fail to realize that the reason why our "country" is the way it is, is because we are all pointing fingers at each other instead of working to together at all. All that being said...

I still want someone to answer the question of why do white Metro!!!!Detroiters - (hint hint to alll those who know nothing about the area) feel Southfield is a bad area?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 124,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
We don't have to defend our beliefs. Everyone is entitled to have them. I don't expect you or anyone else to defend your opinions. It's a free country, we can live where we want for the most part. If I want a white neighborhood it should be of no concern to you. You live your life and I'll live mine. We'll just do our best to stear clear of each other. That's my take.

so seperate but equal? yea - we definately have laws that prohibit that one. So that free country bull can be thrown out the window WhiteRobesFan

Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM

50 posts, read 231,003 times
Default Funny, the difference in regions

I've been reading the posts in this and similar threads with interest. Having lived and travelled to a few different areas, it's interesting how each area has a different minority group that people are up in arms against. For example, in the west/southwest, most people don't even talk about black vs. white. Everyone is united against the Mexican immigrants. From what I understand in Florida, it is the Cuban's that are supposedly causing all the problems. Hell, in Dearborn, seems like all people complain about are Arabic folks. All I know is that my Mexican neighbor takes much better care of his house and family than the white family next door. But, there are lots of nice folks in my neighborhood no matter their race.

I will say, as much as I hate to, that black people in Michigan seem to have a much more angry attitude than anywhere else I have been, including several other states and countries. I don't know what the reason is - perhaps the low economy has made things more difficult in general? Thus, I also see much more racist talk "at the kitchen table" by white folks in MI. What a vicious cycle. I know that growing up in Romulus I had firsthand experiences with several of my black classmates who would seem to go out of their way to make things very difficult for everyone else. It's strange now for me to go to McDonalds in Romulus and get attitude and poor service from the black kids working there, and then go to Burger King in New Boston and get smiles and friendly service from the white kids there. Where I live now (Nevada) everyone seems to have a more pleasant attitude. That is the only thing that makes me hesitate even slightly about moving back to MI next year. Luckily, despite some of my experiences growing up, I was smart enough and raised well enough by my parents not to blame an entire race for the actions of a few of its more outspoken members, and associated myself with the positive people of whatever race.

As someone else pointed out (sorry I didn't quote), police treatment of poor and minorities can be very disturbing at times. Sorry if what I say next offends any truly dedicated, hardworking officers out there, but I have had experiences with police officers both personally and professionally that have made me seriously question their worth. There often seems to be a pattern of "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. I wonder if this is because it takes a "special" type of personality to sign up for such a job and they just aren't properly trained to handle situations or to stop racist/sexist/elitist attitudes amongst their peers? I just haven't met many police officers whom I've liked (and I've never exactly been in trouble with the law so I'm not griping b/c of my own mistreatment). As was said in Spiderman, "With great power comes great responsibility."

As an aside, in working with the homeless population and studying the research, I have learned that the majority of homeless people, especially homeless youth, come originally from middle-class white homes. Since most homeless youth grow up to be homeless adults, and much crime is caused by the homeless, it follows that in most areas...well, you can figure it out for yourself. Generalizing here, but these are the basic theories as to why this is - most minorities have extended families who will take in a child if dad/mom is abusive or there is a problem. Asian families keep it in the family, no one wants to shame the family, etc. White kids run away because of whatever abuse/molestation is happening in the home, parents try to hide it b/c they don't want to be embarrassed as the head of the PTA or whatever committee they are on.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Everyone here is doing okay so far (from what I've seen). Just butting in since this is a hot topic to remind everyone to keep it above the belt, or suffer the consequences--i.e., getting banned, infractions, ect.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
One point, immigration is a legal process. Entering a country without permission is an invasion. In some cases, armed.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Angry Wow...

Quote:
Now YOU are lumping white people into a large group bytalking about "facts" that you say are "hidden away" and more subtle than the stuff we see concerning blacks. If all white people act like this but keep it secret, how can you prove we're so two-faced?

Face it - even if white people are still bad at a lot of things (cheating / stealing / lying / etc.) at least whites typically know where to draw the line. We try not to make horrible living environments for our children by ENCOURAGING drug use / sales....we TRY to maintain a family environment, even if we go about is backwards (so whites DO marry as opposed to the majority of Blacks) and we TRY to focus on education in order to make sure we have a better chance of getting ahead in life legally (so we encourage young people to go to college and avoid lives of crime).

Like I said, not all Blacks act the way I've personally observed but not all whites are as deceptive and evil as you claim them to be. It's just of the two races, Blacks' problems seem to be more easily trackable and are facts, not assumptions.
Quote:
It should be called BLACK FRIGHT instead of WHITE FLIGHT....because as far as I'm concerned, why haven't Blacks MOVED OUT OF cities like Detroit as well?

The only person losing here are the Blacks. The Whites are doing fine in the suburbs where jobs are nicer and communites safer...if I were a Black person with a family, I'd be trying my hardest to get out of Detroit as soon as possible - even if that meant moving to a White neighborood. Who cares if I'm not in my comfortable cultural surroundings. At least I'd be safe and have career / economic potential.

You're lumping black people in to a large group of people, so I don't get the point of your post.

How do you know people in places such as Gary, Newark, Camden, Chicago, etc. are not trying to keep their kids focused on education? Just in case you didn't know, all black people aren't the same . Some actually make good money by not selling drugs! I know, this must be a suprise for you right? What even makes you think black families encourage drug use?

Some places try to maintain a family environment. However, rap music and the media don't exactly help. Nonetheless, some people just don't have money to move into better communities for their children. You act like every black majority area is crime-ridden and filled with drugs, and has no care for education.

Blacks are moving out of Detroit...did that ever occur to you that's why the city population is decreasing? Blacks are moving into white suburbs. However, when they do, many people already living in the area get scared and put their houses up for sale.

Do some research before you make extremely ignorant and biased posts..

Anyways, back to the original topic. I do not think white flight is right. As a matter of fact, I think Black Flight is wrong too. I do, however, think people should try and fix the problem instead of running away from it.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM

106 posts, read 414,460 times
Quote:
France is a country and a nation - England is a country and a nation - Greece is a country and a nation...America is a country - far from a nation.
Those countries have their problems as well. France and England have a huge Muslim minority that hasn't assimilated and is now committing a lot of terrorism. I'll take America any day.

Quote:
Honestly...with the Jim Crow Law era and Civil Rights era only a little more than century out of view, do you honestly expect the, then poorest and most down trotten race of people to be at the exact same economic level as the people who stood on top of them?
Interesting that you brought up Jim Crow in a discussion of Detroit. I'm sure you know Michigan wasn't a Jim Crow (nor a slave) state.

I don't expect blacks to be on par economically, but committing less crime and other antisocial behavior would be nice. Being poor doesn't mean it's okay to commit crimes.

Quote:
I still want someone to answer the question of why do white Metro!!!!Detroiters - (hint hint to alll those who know nothing about the area) feel Southfield is a bad area?
Easy, because majority black areas have more crime and worse schools than majority white areas. I know somebody will find an exception, but that's typically true.

There's a reason why there's no white flight if Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Indians, etc.) move into a majority white neighborhood. It's because they commit LESS crime than whites and perform BETTER in school. Thus, there's nothing to flee.

I think people have a hard time believing that there are rational reasons behind white flight. Some people just believe that all the whites who are fleeing are just evil or racist. Like I said, whites have no problem living with Asians. You see the Asian population sprinkled all throughout metro Detroit.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:39 PM

106 posts, read 414,460 times
I found this link to crime data (http://www.securityworld.com/ia-442-2005-most-dangerous-cities-to-live-in.aspx - broken link) (scroll down a bit) that shows that Southfield was the 10th most dangerous city in 2005 with a population from 75,000-100,000.

That's why people believe Southfield is a bad area. Because it is.

Notice the other cities in Michigan on that page: Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, and Saginaw. If they did cities with populations less than 50,000, Benton Harbor would almost certainly be there, too.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM

34 posts, read 141,743 times
Default violent white crimes

Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam Killer (name eludes me I apologize), Steven Grant and the dude that killed the Phillipino woman in Washington Twp. Hmmm, all white? yes. All very violent? yes. The worst crime of all, pedophilia, is committed by upper middle class white men.
I am female and white. I am also not afraid to hide behind a screen name or reveal myself only in PM's. I am Sheri in Warren.
I take my family to Detroit quite often, weekly or more. I lived in Southfield for 12 years in my youth. I was at 12 and Southfield when it was primarily Jewish. Then at 8 and Telegraph where it was more diverse.
One cannot say that crime, illiteracy, or teen pregnancy is limited to a single race. My husband has an Asian ex-wife who has a serious gambling problem. But I will not say that all Asians are gamblers. My white neighbors are just this side of rednecky but I will not say that all whites in Warren are rednecks.
Some may look at me with my 5 children who look very different from each other and assume it's because I live in South Warren so they must have different fathers. When in fact, they all have the same father just the oldest is my stepdaughter. Oh, and no out of wedlock pregnancies either.
If you are going to racist, classist, or just plain a$$, at least be honest about it and let everyone know who you are. you tell us all your opinions and let us in your inner thoughts, why not tell us who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies