Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:59 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam Killer (name eludes me I apologize), Steven Grant and the dude that killed the Phillipino woman in Washington Twp. Hmmm, all white? yes. All very violent? yes. The worst crime of all, pedophilia, is committed by upper middle class white men.
I am female and white. I am also not afraid to hide behind a screen name or reveal myself only in PM's. I am Sheri in Warren.
I take my family to Detroit quite often, weekly or more. I lived in Southfield for 12 years in my youth. I was at 12 and Southfield when it was primarily Jewish. Then at 8 and Telegraph where it was more diverse.
One cannot say that crime, illiteracy, or teen pregnancy is limited to a single race. My husband has an Asian ex-wife who has a serious gambling problem. But I will not say that all Asians are gamblers. My white neighbors are just this side of rednecky but I will not say that all whites in Warren are rednecks.
Some may look at me with my 5 children who look very different from each other and assume it's because I live in South Warren so they must have different fathers. When in fact, they all have the same father just the oldest is my stepdaughter. Oh, and no out of wedlock pregnancies either.
If you are going to racist, classist, or just plain a$$, at least be honest about it and let everyone know who you are. you tell us all your opinions and let us in your inner thoughts, why not tell us who you are.
So you dont see the coincidence that when white people kill, it gets national attention but when blacks do, its shrugged off because of its common occurance?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM

106 posts, read 414,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam Killer (name eludes me I apologize), Steven Grant and the dude that killed the Phillipino woman in Washington Twp. Hmmm, all white? yes. All very violent? yes. The worst crime of all, pedophilia, is committed by upper middle class white men.
I am female and white. I am also not afraid to hide behind a screen name or reveal myself only in PM's. I am Sheri in Warren.
I take my family to Detroit quite often, weekly or more. I lived in Southfield for 12 years in my youth. I was at 12 and Southfield when it was primarily Jewish. Then at 8 and Telegraph where it was more diverse.
One cannot say that crime, illiteracy, or teen pregnancy is limited to a single race. My husband has an Asian ex-wife who has a serious gambling problem. But I will not say that all Asians are gamblers. My white neighbors are just this side of rednecky but I will not say that all whites in Warren are rednecks.
Some may look at me with my 5 children who look very different from each other and assume it's because I live in South Warren so they must have different fathers. When in fact, they all have the same father just the oldest is my stepdaughter. Oh, and no out of wedlock pregnancies either.
If you are going to racist, classist, or just plain a$$, at least be honest about it and let everyone know who you are. you tell us all your opinions and let us in your inner thoughts, why not tell us who you are.
Well who said that whites don't commit crimes? The point is blacks commit crimes at a much higher RATE than whites. That doesn't mean that all blacks are criminals or that no whites are. It is an average. Saying that one Asian woman has a gambling problem does not change the fact that Asians commit very little crime on average.

Is it sexist to say that men commit more crime than women? Is it ageist to say that people in their 20's commit far more crimes than people in their 50's? What's the difference between that and pointing out that blacks commit more crimes per capita than whites?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 26,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
We don't have to defend our beliefs. Everyone is entitled to have them. I don't expect you or anyone else to defend your opinions. It's a free country, we can live where we want for the most part. If I want a white neighborhood it should be of no concern to you. You live your life and I'll live mine. We'll just do our best to stear clear of each other. That's my take.
This is one of the worst ways to look at life. If this was the way eveyone looked at life the world would be chaos. You do what makes you happy and maybe thats living in a nice area of the suburbs for example and a black,mexican,asian etc. family moves in next dorr and does something you find offensive, dangerous, incriminating and then it pisses you off and gives you a reason to be prejudice agaisnt them and maybe people like them because of that experience. You need to think about having a different outlook because with this one no one will ever get along.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM

178 posts, read 701,770 times
Quote:
Seriously Said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
We don't have to defend our beliefs. Everyone is entitled to have them. I don't expect you or anyone else to defend your opinions. It's a free country, we can live where we want for the most part. If I want a white neighborhood it should be of no concern to you. You live your life and I'll live mine. We'll just do our best to stear clear of each other. That's my take.
This is one of the worst ways to look at life. If this was the way eveyone looked at life the world would be chaos. You do what makes you happy and maybe thats living in a nice area of the suburbs for example and a black,mexican,asian etc. family moves in next dorr and does something you find offensive, dangerous, incriminating and then it pisses you off and gives you a reason to be prejudice agaisnt them and maybe people like them because of that experience. You need to think about having a different outlook because with this one no one will ever get along.
Personally, I don't have a problem with what Redwings says - everyone SHOULD be able to do what they want w/o having to account to everyone around them. This country has become so Politically Correct anytime a white person says anything, they're racist - anytime a man says anything, he's sexist. I, for one, think people need to chill out.

Don't like stereotypes? Then don't be one. That's all you can do.

But I agree that you can't just do whatever you want without being able to answer 'WHY'...when someone isn't accountable when something bad happens, it'll just get worse. So while I think its okay to say "I want to live in a White neighborhood," I don't think you should just ignore all other communities completely. You don't necessarily have to jump through hoops to try and make the city/state/country better...but you shouldn't just write off large groups of people/areas completely. Nothing is totally worthless or bad.

Even if I hate on Michigan here and there, I still am grateful for what it HAS done occasionally...so I try to cause as little harm as possible while I'm here.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 26,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with what Redwings says - everyone SHOULD be able to do what they want w/o having to account to everyone around them. This country has become so Politically Correct anytime a white person says anything, they're racist - anytime a man says anything, he's sexist. I, for one, think people need to chill out.

Don't like stereotypes? Then don't be one. That's all you can do.

But I agree that you can't just do whatever you want without being able to answer 'WHY'...when someone isn't accountable when something bad happens, it'll just get worse. So while I think its okay to say "I want to live in a White neighborhood," I don't think you should just ignore all other communities completely. You don't necessarily have to jump through hoops to try and make the city/state/country better...but you shouldn't just write off large groups of people/areas completely. Nothing is totally worthless or bad.

Even if I hate on Michigan here and there, I still am grateful for what it HAS done occasionally...so I try to cause as little harm as possible while I'm here.

I do have a problem with what he says because because I think it is kind of extreme, but I do belive that people should be able to do what they want but on to a certain extent, I agree with everything else you said. especailly about the streotypes- then dont be one. But thats also hard when you are black and then you dont act "black" you are made fun of or peer preassured into talking more "black" or whatver. Its all just so stupid, just be who you want to be, but dont hate on other people for who they are and follow the law!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Well, there's nothing like facts to assist in a discussion. Elmo, go here:
Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS)
and give us a per capita breakdown of who is likely to be the perpetrator of a violent crime.

Maybe put in a common name like "Smith" and see what you get.

Last edited by and the; 07-12-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 51,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 248 View Post
thanks willy - I'm not here to point any fingers or anything, but it just bothers me that my race gets talked about so negatively as it relates to just about anything we do. Blacks have their faults, whites have their faults - no disputing that at all. When we realize that we are all pretty much out here doing the same things - thats when the humility from both sides will surely kick in.
Mr.248
I think you need to look at the past 40 years to get the true "feeling" for the racial divide in the Detroit area. Start particually with Coleman A Young. The man did nothing to help foster race relations and his administration lasted far too long to make a quick fix after he left office. He was self serving and managed to fool "his people" into thinking he was the only person that could defend them. I don't believe the white flight would have been quite as dramatic if someone with less hatred had been in office. He scared the white population, and he drove the middle class black population to areas that didn't threaten their lifestyles.

As to your comment about negativity to anything blacks do.... I think that's unfair as well. Please look around, most of our large American cities have black mayors. The music industry and sports industry have heros that are adored by white and black fans. To say nothing of a new Presidential candidate that is giving the white candidates, "a run for their money". (BTW, not that it matters much but, I intend to vote for Obama should he continue through to the primaries. He's truly the only honest, down to earth candidate we have, no matter what color his skin is)

We have beautiful neighbourhoods in Detroit, Indian Village, New Center, Palmer Woods, Boston-Edison District, which are populated with both black and white. However, as they all see to be surrounded by high crime areas it's difficult to "see" them.

Unfortunately Detroit has a Mayor that is not seen as credible, in fact a lot of people see him as a thug, another Coleman Young in the making. He's not as militant in his manner as to the racial divide between Detroit and it's subburbs, however the young man is way over his head. I really belive he sees his mayorship as a way to live high, and have a big entourage.

Crime is terrible in the city, the schools are on the verge of a state takeover, the city's debt is outrageous enough that they are selling off property the city owns. Detroit has no retail base, there are tons of houses that are abandoned.

But I digress..... We as humans have to learn to accept the reality that each ethnic has it's own individual culture. We are not the same, and we never will be. However, the black culture, at least in the major urban areas seems to run a close line with things that are unacceptable to the white culture, whether that is "unfair" or not it is true. Perhaps that is why the "everyday man on the street" black seems to be unfairly pegged.

Please read the article at this link, it may help to explain some things
Broken Detroit: Death of a City Block
Broken Detroit: Death of a city block

Good Luck Mr248, you sound like you are someone who cares about people, perhaps it will take others like yourself to make the difference..... I sincerely hope so.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
Blacks have their faults, whites have their faults - no disputing that at all.
That's probably one of the more racist comments I've read here. An entire race of people, either white or black, does NOT have collective "faults".

I also resent when I hear someone speak on behalf of the "black community". I'm sure Al Sharpton, Jim Holley, Horace Sheffield, or Kwami Kilpatrick don't represent the views of "the black community" to any greater degree than Hillary Clinton, George Bush, David Duke, or Bill O'Reilly represent the views of the "white community".

Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 51,173 times
[quote=and the;1060744]That's probably one of the more racist comments I've read here. An entire race of people, either white or black, does NOT have collective "faults".

Plueeesssee, are you being just a bit thin skinned or maybe "Holier than thou"? I think, what Mr248 was trying to say is the same thing I said in my last post. Culturally we, meaning the races, are different. And yes, sometimes our differences are preceived by the opposite race as faults.

Whether you will admit it or not, I am sure that you have looked at a race that is not your own with a some degree of condemnation, and lumped that entire race into that opinion.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 68,179 times
[ It was the richer, higher powered tribes in Africa that sold the less fortunate blacks to be used as slavery.

P.S. In case there's any question, I am a white woman lol....So much so that a friend calls me Casper :P[/quote]

Sorry but this statement is half truth. Although SOME africans were sold into slavery. Those tribes were coerced and lied to. In that timeframe Africans along with the rest of the world had a form of slavery called indebted servitude. It was not slavery in the sense that was created by the Portugese and endured by africans. You were indebted cause you owed somone goods or you were caught steailing, etc.. BUT it was for a certain amount of time. Then you were let go. It was not the form of FREE labor that built this country into what it is.

The stereotypical non sense from all races that I see people writing in here is a psychological pattern that needs to be broken. This is a problem that no one in the world has yet to solve.

I'm not going to get into this topic too deep because I feel no one in this forum so far has any insight into why things are the way they are here in america...But it goes much deeper than anyone in here has shown they know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies