Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
I'm guessing the majority of people are thinking of Detroit.

They should just get everyone out of that crap hole of a city and use it for urban military training. There is nothing good about Detroit.
Well I wouldn't go that far but I think there are whole neighborhoods that should be bulldozed. You have to get rid of the blight and get to the point there's enough vacant land to make it attractive to build there. A house barely standing on every other lot won't do that.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleman313 View Post
Great responce willy1979. Well said.

But there is an ingraned idea in Michigan and all of America for that matter, That a white neiborhood is safer than anything else.
Isn't this more or less reflected in crime statistics? Also, as a general rule, aren't solid middle class, upper middle class, and upper class areas (which are predominantly white) safer than lower class areas (which is the category that many if not most predominantly black cities and areas fall into)?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Isn't this more or less reflected in crime statistics? Also, as a general rule, aren't solid middle class, upper middle class, and upper class areas (which are predominantly white) safer than lower class areas (which is the category that many if not most predominantly black cities and areas fall into)?
It depends on the neighborhood or community and it is probably more linked to the economic situation of a neighbrohood or area than anything else.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the point is that the demographics in terms of ethnicity and crime go against the stereotype. Part of that could be due to the economic aspect of the community.

I agree, it is the economic aspect of the community.
The statistic show that the community of Lathrup which is almost half & half, black /white has
A higher educational attainment;
Greater household income and earnings;
Homes of relatively high value;
And a lower crime rate than predominately white Taylor .

It's really all about class more and not color.

Lathrup sounds like a nice place to live, if you can afford it. I hope its diversity ensures its success.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,428 times
I grew up Wayne County, Michigan in a segregated suburb. I rarely encountered white people and those I saw were red-neck trailer types. The black people in my community were middle class (Sorta like Southfield). There is nothing wrong with black people moving to suburbs, they are fulfilling the American Dream.
The dream doesn't necessarily include white people, its about home ownership and good schools.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
All of these statements need clarification and statistics.
* Which crimes are included? Is it jaywalking? Murder? Misdemeanors? What?
* Where are the statistics from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
Well who said that whites don't commit crimes? The point is blacks commit crimes at a much higher RATE than whites.

Is it sexist to say that men commit more crime than women? Is it ageist to say that people in their 20's commit far more crimes than people in their 50's? What's the difference between that and pointing out that blacks commit more crimes per capita than whites?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1451
sadly, most of the criminals in this society are black. black ppl have a higher percentage of criminals while only having 12% of the population.
- Your statements have NO meaning without a source (of course I bet there isn't one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano
Multiculturalism is a failure. Most of Europe is recognizing this now and reverting back from multiculturalist policies.
- No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09
There are no minority dominant areas that are low in crime.
- False.

Last edited by Vicman; 06-27-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 AM

206 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
All of these statements need clarification and statistics.
* Which crimes are included? Is it jaywalking? Murder? Misdemeanors? What?
* Where are the statistics from?

- Your statements have NO meaning without a source (of course I bet there isn't one)

- No.

- False.
I agree. Poverty and drugs, not minorities, is the reason for crime.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,836 times
There are ignorant people everywhere. In Detroit and in the suburbs. Black and white.

I am white and my wife is black. We get stares when we go to Detroit from blacks and stares from whites and blacks in the suburbs. I grew up in Detroit and now live in Northern Macomb county. She grew up in Detroit and went to Wayne State.

It used to make me sad or angry when people would openly gawk at us. Now I just feel sorry for them. We might be moving out of state by the end of the year and I will be glad to live in a more diverse area. The people in Southeastern Michigan are hanging on to the past with a Kung-Fu-Ninja-Death-Grip. Let it go!

I'm tired of suburban white people that have learned everything they know about blacks from their racist Uncle Joe and Rap videos. I'm tired of blacks that think that white people are the devil and think that whites have kept them down.

So much of it is just plain stupidity and ignorance. Get an education and have an open mind. My wife had no father and an ill mother. They got by on almost nothing. She still went to Renaissance and then went on to get her Masters at Wayne State. No excuses. Whites and blacks stop teaching racism to your children!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Going back to college and taking classes again, I am learning more and doing mroe research on my own. I think of it this way. Many people try to classify one race as inferior to another. Many people say that one race will be more inclined to committ crimes than another. Many people will even put forth stats. You can't just take the stats as "that's how it is". You have to think about the stuff behind it. One needs to ask "why?". The way I see things, some people just present the statistics as a form of social control. It is about giving excuses. Many people will use the stats as an excuse to say "all of them are like that so lets keep them out or lets not give them the welcome we would give to someone who isn't them". The stats aren't used as a reason to try to help the persons who struggle with certain socioeconomical problems. It is used as an excuse to say "that is how they are".

Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
I think most, including myself, could care less what color or shade someone is. Detroit is one of, if not the most, violent US city. I wouldn't want to live there. Another reason is that the Michigan economy is in the dumps. People are leaving in droves, and with Detroit being the biggest Michigan city and prime automotive industry, it only makes sense that most of the people leaving are leaving from Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies