Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Many veterans are ticking time bombs, unfit for civilian life and rules.
What about all those criminals who never served? Whats the excuse for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times
It was an essay for an English class! One of the things you're encouraged to write about is what you know. This veteran sounds like he was writing about what he knows and bearing his soul, then was dismissed for it! What a tragedy! I hope they reconsider because, IMHO, they are WRONG!

War is not pretty, never will be. We train our soldiers to kill, that is what's expected. This veteran is exposing his feelings and that should not ever be subject to punishment. He probably needs some psychological help, but not this.

Sheesh, what were they thinking????

Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What about all those criminals who never served? Whats the excuse for them?
Who are you talking about?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Who are you talking about?
I think he's talking about all those people who kill, every day, in this country.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I think he's talking about all those people who kill, every day, in this country.
Well, they are locked away when caught. Of course one cannot lock away veterans just because of who they are, but they are a group of people I would try to avoid, like any military to be frank.
War or not, a person who has killed someone is a killer to me. I don't trust killers...

Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Well, they are locked away when caught. Of course one cannot lock away veterans just because of who they are, but they are a group of people I would try to avoid, like any military to be frank.
War or not, a person who has killed someone is a killer to me. I don't trust killers...
So you never served? You base your opinion on what? Movies? On the the opinions of others who never served but pretend to understand?
Veterans are what? Homicidal maniacs? How many vets leave the service only to turn into murderers?
Please post a link that shows that Vets are more likely to become murderers than those who have not served.
I get it that you don't like vets and have a low regard for them. However I would still like to see some actual data that shows that vets on average are more likely to commit violent crimes.
I don't want some shrinks opinion. I want hard numbers showing that vets do in fact commit more violent crimes than non-vets.
http://www.realoathkeepers.org/times...s-crime-stats/

Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
OR: Just stop going to war and stop killing innocent fathers, sons, children etc.
Sure, we should not go to war - nobody should have to go to war. The reality is that there are people in wars right now, Americans and their adversaries. And they, especially the privates and other grunts, have no idea whether those they are encountering in the combat zone - which is more more fluid and amorphous than those of the past - are innocents, combatants or something in between. And that just adds to the stress they are are under.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Usually a veteran ALREADY HAS KILLED other people (who were no worse than he or she is). As I said I don't care if they use war as an excuse. A person who has killed someone else is a person I don't want to have anything to do with and who I would never trust as they have already crossed a line that is sacred to me (maybe because of my Buddhist past).

I don't really blame soldiers for killing others, that is what they are supposed to do. Just like a terrorist's job is to blow up others. But I do blame soldiers for their stupidity of having made the decision to join the military in the first place. Once you are in there, they screw up your mind and that's it.

You know, killing someone in a foreign country is not self-defense. When I am at home and a burglar threatens my wife, I am justified to kill him. But that is not the case with soldiers. They deliberately go somewhere else to kill people, in the case of the US anyway.

And no, of course I did not serve. I am no servant to anyone or anything.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
It was an essay for an English class! One of the things you're encouraged to write about is what you know. This veteran sounds like he was writing about what he knows and bearing his soul, then was dismissed for it! What a tragedy! I hope they reconsider because, IMHO, they are WRONG!

War is not pretty, never will be. We train our soldiers to kill, that is what's expected. This veteran is exposing his feelings and that should not ever be subject to punishment. He probably needs some psychological help, but not this.

Sheesh, what were they thinking????
Once again the Educators want all points of view heard, excedpt hose that don't agree with them. He, like I, no longer shares your societal norm that killing should make him guilty. For us there are warriors and there are sheep. Others among the warriors may be friend or foe but we still have more in common with them than with the sheep.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Out of the millions who serve the laws of average will dictate that some are defective, flawed or unstable. These individuals may very well have been flawed before they even met a recruiter.
Compare the crime rates of those who serve against those who have never served. Is it any highrer?
Remember the military is made up of people who represent mainstream america.
Do you really believe this? It may be superficially true, in the sense that all races, regions, etc. are represented (although this is not as true as it was in the days of conscription.) But if you look under the surface and at the premises held by the people who sign up, I think you will encounter a population sample very skewed toward: the amoral or sociopathic (people who have no more than a hazy sense of right and wrong); the not-very-bright (people who can't distinguish nationalistic propaganda from reality; and the financially motivated (the financial rewards are such as to attract many people who are not dirt-poor.) I think there is a profound personality difference between the sort of people who "serve" and the sort who do not.

Quote:
But I refuse to believe that because someone served they are a potential murderer. I think those who go south were already flawed to begin with.
Since aggressive war IS murder, they may be actual murderers, rather than potential ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies