Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Freedom, as an organizing principle, is good policy and it is good politics. Take note: we're telling everyone, in advance, that the next conservative revolution is on the way because we all know, Freedom Works.

What does that mean? This is condescending to the Republican base. As if they can't get onboard with any ideas that do not have "Freedom" slapped on to it.

That means they subscribe to the old theory:

If you can't dazzle with brilliance, baffle with BS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Actually I don't think the American public is ready for another conservative revolution. They are going to vote for democrats in droves. Congress will go hard to the left, most likely with veto proof majorities in both houses. All this will happen because of Bush's war in Iraq and his big Comprehensive Amnesty Proposal. He's going to get credit for both and they will both be remembered as failures. Which will drag the republicans down in the congressional races.

It's hard to say which party will take the White House. It's far too soon. Too much can happen between now and the primaries. But my gut tells me the winner of the next presidential race will be the one who distances himself the most from the Iraqi war and promises to pull us out ASAP.

Whether or not we have a conservative revolution in the next round of elections will depend on whether or not congress is another do nothing congress or not. Too many domestic issues have been neglected and need to be addressed.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times
Quote:
Can the next Conservative Revolution happen in 2008?
Lawd I hope not. I am still trying to recover from this current conservative administration.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
To all of my progressive friends, please consider that the democrats have control of both the Congress and Senate and have not impressed the public with their performances so far. At this time, they do not have an understandable set of solid specific proposals for folks to rally behind. Also consider that Hillary Clinton, the probable national candidate, has very high negative rating that probably will not recede at the time of the election.

To my conservative friends, please consider that the splintering of the republican base among the special interest groups is exactly the same thing that happened to the democrats when they had control of all of the decision making at the federal level. As you know, the outcome is typically a move to the extreme of your party's positions, marginalizing the likelihood of picking up centrist voters.

Overall, both sides have the potential to make some serious mistakes here. It is way too early for either side to plan on decorating Pennsylvania Ave.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM

626 posts, read 992,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It's because these Democrats aren't actually liberal. They're essentially psuedo-communists. The reason they don't talk about their ideas is because many of their ideas are abhorrent and they know they wouldn't fly if they were known to the public, at large. The same is true for the Republican goals of corporate slavery. The reason they Republicans do better at the polls is because they get on their soap box about morality and terrorism.

I hope both parties completely collapse. It would be one of the best things to happen to this country in the last 100 years.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
To all of my progressive friends, please consider that the democrats have control of both the Congress and Senate and have not impressed the public with their performances so far
Having control by technical numbers and having political control in numbers are two different things.

They can now control committees and steer the agenda, but they don't have the numbers to accomplish much without GOP support.

That is a major reason for little action on Iraq.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The GOP today for the most part is a slave of the same big business corporate monoliths that TR opposed. TR would be a democrat- as would be IKE.
I don't think either have much in common with the Democrats. They Democrats are in the pocket of big business, as well. Big business is playing both sides.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I hope both parties completely collapse. It would be one of the best things to happen to this country in the last 100 years.

We can only hope.............................

Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
It's because these Democrats aren't actually liberal. They're essentially psuedo-communists.
Would you elaborate, please?

What is a pseudo-communist and how does this apply to the Democrats you speak of?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Would you elaborate, please?

What is a pseudo-communist and how does this apply to the Democrats you speak of?
The Fairness Doctrine and Minimum wage are two issues, to start. A majority of Democrats are simply not liberal. They're left wing-authoritarian (pseudo-communists). Rights are restricted in the interest of "fairness" (republicans do it in the interest of "morality").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies