Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does your religion or lack thereof affect your politics?
I'm religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 5 8.93%
I'm religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm not religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 8 14.29%
I'm not religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 4 7.14%
I'm not religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

How do your religious views affect your political views? I feel like the left and right are divided not just along political ideology but along religious beliefs as well. I'm not talking about just the media saying "the religious right" but the whole premise of many views of the left are contradictory to what a Christian would believe.

I'm in the awkward position of being able to speak on both sides of this topic. For many years, I was not a Christian. I dabbled in Wicca for a time as well as Buddhism but was mostly atheist or agnostic. I was never set on any one belief until last year when I was saved. Before this time, I was a bleeding heart liberal on social issues but had many fiscally conservative ideals (such as my views on welfare, etc.). After my conversion to Christianity, when I started reading the Bible, I slowly got more and more conservative in both social and fiscal viewpoints. Today I am what most lefties consider the typical right-wing nut.

Now, I cannot separate my religion from my politics. To me, God is in charge of everything, in every aspect of every person's life, and we are to do what pleases Him, not what we may think is right and not to separate things and say, for example, "Well, I don't believe abortion is right, but if someone else wants to do it, that's up to them" when the bottom line is that God does not want people to be having abortions, Christian or not.

Anyway, that is my background, please do not attack it. I am just giving my viewpoint since I am asking for everyone else's views on how their religion or lack thereof affects their political leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
For me, one has NOTHING to do with the other. In fact, when a politician starts yammering about religion, i immediately turn the channel and dismiss it. If they go a step further and start talking about how they apply faith to their politics and policy, i immediately dismiss them as kooks and pay them no more mind ever again.

For once, i wish a politician would just say that they don't have any religious beliefs and that they're in fact atheists.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM

565 posts, read 485,903 times
What astounds me the most is that some of the people who pretend to be Christians can accept so easily that many in this society do not have good access to health care.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
What astounds me the most is that some of the people who pretend to be Christians can accept so easily that many in this society do not have good access to health care.
They care about health care...right up to the point that you're born.

After that, you're on your own. If at two days old, you need health care and food stamp, THEN they have a problem!!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
This is not about one side or the other. It's about how YOUR religion affects your political views.

Nobody is voting in the poll, just coming on here to try to pick a fight and bash Christians.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How do your religious views affect your political views? I feel like the left and right are divided not just along political ideology but along religious beliefs as well. I'm not talking about just the media saying "the religious right" but the whole premise of many views of the left are contradictory to what a Christian would believe.

I'm in the awkward position of being able to speak on both sides of this topic. For many years, I was not a Christian. I dabbled in Wicca for a time as well as Buddhism but was mostly atheist or agnostic. I was never set on any one belief until last year when I was saved. Before this time, I was a bleeding heart liberal on social issues but had many fiscally conservative ideals (such as my views on welfare, etc.). After my conversion to Christianity, when I started reading the Bible, I slowly got more and more conservative in both social and fiscal viewpoints. Today I am what most lefties consider the typical right-wing nut.

Now, I cannot separate my religion from my politics. To me, God is in charge of everything, in every aspect of every person's life, and we are to do what pleases Him, not what we may think is right and not to separate things and say, for example, "Well, I don't believe abortion is right, but if someone else wants to do it, that's up to them" when the bottom line is that God does not want people to be having abortions, Christian or not.

Anyway, that is my background, please do not attack it. I am just giving my viewpoint since I am asking for everyone else's views on how their religion or lack thereof affects their political leanings.
Frankly, I doubt you have ever been a real convinced atheist, let alone Buddhist, your current religious views are kind of regrettable compared to the level you said you had reached before, almost like a huge step backwards.

Anyway, I am more liberal than conservative and at the same time an atheist and pantheist, but in no way a theist of your kind, believing in some god interfering with our lives etc., that is the key difference between me and people like you. Insofar, yes, I agree that someone who believes in the Bible and its god and all that stuff can't help but hold views that I can only call problematic and unfortunate.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
I can't vote in your poll. I'm of other faith than Christian. In our small town, everyone knows everyone else. I can attest that there are many fervent Christians who are very liberal in nature and live their lives according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.These people are pillars of the community. The whole foundation of the teachings of Jesus Christ is built on the concept of compassion. This quality is sorely lacking in many of the agendas espoused by the christian right wing of the republican party.

Quote by Andrea

"the whole premise of many views of the left are contradictory to what a Christian would believe."

Your above quote conveys a premise that is not factual in nature and taints the whole thread with personal bias. Maybe that's why no one is polling.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is not about one side or the other. It's about how YOUR religion affects your political views.

Nobody is voting in the poll, just coming on here to try to pick a fight and bash Christians.

Maybe people are not happy with the options you provided. For instance, they are all one-way options. But in my case for instance it was the other way round. I developed pretty clear, somewhat liberal views of everything and BECAUSE OF THAT (and other reasons) I got rid of religion.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They care about health care...right up to the point that you're born.

After that, you're on your own. If at two days old, you need health care and food stamp, THEN they have a problem!!
Because at that point, it is the PARENTS' responsibility to care for their child, not the government. If Christians belieevd in this concept of universal health care, why has it only been a recent invention in the last century and a half? You'd think we'd have had universal health care since the Middle Ages or something if that was the case no, as Christians we have to protect life. Protecting life and maintaining life are 2 different things. God did not want us to live forever being coddled and taken care of by someone else. If He did, he wouldn't have thrown Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden

Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because at that point, it is the PARENTS' responsibility to care for their child, not the government. If Christians belieevd in this concept of universal health care, why has it only been a recent invention in the last century and a half? You'd think we'd have had universal health care since the Middle Ages or something if that was the case no, as Christians we have to protect life. Protecting life and maintaining life are 2 different things. God did not want us to live forever being coddled and taken care of by someone else. If He did, he wouldn't have thrown Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden
Sorry, you're preaching to the wrong person. I Don't believe in God, Adam, or Eve. It's a nice fable though.

"as Christians, we have to protect life." LMAO...C'mon..please, stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies