Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure, just like all the other federal grants make them "our" trains and railways, "our" highways, "our" airports...

But since they are only applying for $5 million and estimated cost is $100 million, I guess only 5% will be "ours".
Oh I sure hope our part includes the swimming pool, I'm dying to see some of these bukinis on a diving board, perhaps they could invite some nuns and have a synchronized swimming event!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Since when is the NFL a religious organization?

If the founders of the Islamic Center intend to observe Sharia within the building, subjecting women to oppressive laws which we do not recognize in the USA, if they receive tax-exempt status on the grounds of being a religious organization, then their application for taxpayer funded grant money should be denied.
Considering that the group building the mosque/MCC is known for fighting for women's rights in Islam countries, that statement is kind of wierd.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Oh I sure hope our part includes the swimming pool, I'm dying to see some of these bukinis on a diving board, perhaps they could invite some nuns and have a synchronized swimming event!
Throw in those Amish and Mennonite girls and the Orthodox Jewish women, and they can have team competition!

I imagine trying to swim in heavy clothing builds muscles.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Considering that the group building the mosque/MCC is known for fighting for women's rights in Islam countries, that statement is kind of wierd.
Daisy Khan, Imam Faisal's (sp?) wife, gives premarital counseling and addresses the possibility of polygamy in the Muslim marriage -- despite the practice being illegal in the US. Weird, no. Illegal, yes.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
You didn't answer my question. You had said that you didn't care what they did with the building because it was "theirs." I repeat, if Government Funds; i.e., taxpayer money is used to fund the Community Center with a Mosque in it, won't that make it not just "their's" but all of "ours." Won't it belong to all the citizens of the U.S.A. if government money is funding it? You seem to have more than average knowledge of government. Please respond.
It is a building to be used by area residents, not just Muslims.

If you wish to read the details of the grant, its requirements and procedures, then you can read them here.

http://http://www.renewnyc.com/content/pdfs/FAQs_FINAL_10-12-10_10-27-10_addendum.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Throw in those Amish and Mennonite girls and the Orthodox Jewish women, and they can have team competition!

I imagine trying to swim in heavy clothing builds muscles.
I've seen those Mennonite women in the garden, they've got legs stronger than a mule to be sure. Stout bunch of ladies.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
Sure, just like all the other federal grants make them "our" trains and railways, "our" highways, "our" airports...

But since they are only applying for $5 million and estimated cost is $100 million, I guess only 5% will be "ours".
Well, then how can they put in a Mosque? When was the last time you found a church or synagogue in an airport or railway station? I think the ACLU has even been busy making cities take down crosses that are too visible from public highways.

This is why certain private schools, etc. do not accept government funding because if you take even one dime of it, you must abide by government dictate. I really don't see how this differs. Our government, with a push from the ACLU, is on a rampage to remove all types of religious symbolism from all public property. How can government funding, even if its only 5%, be given to support a Religious Based Community Building with a Mosque inside it? Hospitals accepting government funding may no longer have chapels that contain any signs of Christianity (crosses, bibles, etc.) or anything for any specific faith - only a room. What is the difference?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/us...ames.html?_r=1

Old 11-22-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It is a building to be used by area residents, not just Muslims.

If you wish to read the details of the grant, its requirements and procedures, then you can read them here.

http://http://www.renewnyc.com/content/pdfs/FAQs_FINAL_10-12-10_10-27-10_addendum.pdf (broken link)
And what about the Mosque? Will it be open to non-Muslims? Will Christians be able to go in there and pray to Jesus? Will Jews be able to bring in their Torahs? Will all faiths be given equal opportunity as is required now in the government funded hospital chapels?

What of this discrepancy? How do you explain it?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
And what about the Mosque? Will it be open to non-Muslims? Will Christians be able to go in there and pray to Jesus? Will Jews be able to bring in their Torahs? Will all faiths be given equal opportunity as is required now in the government funded hospital chapels?

What of this discrepancy? How do you explain it?
Look, I gave you the information, I read it and I'm not going to read it or type it out for you. If you want the answer, then read the material, I realize this requires a few moments of time and a little effort, but I don't sell sound bytes.

In the meantime, it is a grant that has only been applied for from a developer that has 20,000 bucks left in their bank account.

Of all the things in this country to get ones britches in a wad over. Take a bus, or drive up there if it is ever completed and go pray to jesus in their damn mosque if it makes you feel better and sates your faux outrage.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Look, I gave you the information, I read it and I'm not going to read it or type it out for you. If you want the answer, then read the material, I realize this requires a few moments of time and a little effort, but I don't sell sound bytes.

In the meantime, it is a grant that has only been applied for from a developer that has 20,000 bucks left in their bank account.

Of all the things in this country to get ones britches in a wad over. Take a bus, or drive up there if it is ever completed and go pray to jesus in their damn mosque if it makes you feel better and sates your faux outrage.
'scuse me. I mistakenly took you for a somewhat informed, rational poster, albeit with a different political slant than mine, who would engage in polite, intelligent discourse regarding a controversial topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies