Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
'scuse me. I mistakenly took you for a somewhat informed, rational poster, albeit with a different political slant than mine, who would engage in polite, intelligent discourse regarding a controversial topic.
You claimed earlier in the thread to be able to do your own research. So why do you keep asking questions that you can look up as easily as anyone else

But because I feel that this is important information to get out to try and quell all of the fear and ignorance

Cordoba House @ Park51 | Cordoba Movement (http://www.cordobamovement.org/2010/10/cordoba-house/ - broken link)

Quote:
Cordoba House will offer our neighbors in the Lower Manhattan community facilities and services similar to those traditionally provided by a YMCA or a Jewish Community Center. In addition to prayer spaces for use by all faiths, our community center will offer arts, culture, education and recreation programs and will serve as a center for multi-faith dialogue under the leadership of Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf.
*Emphasis mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Well, then how can they put in a Mosque? When was the last time you found a church or synagogue in an airport or railway station? I think the ACLU has even been busy making cities take down crosses that are too visible from public highways.

This is why certain private schools, etc. do not accept government funding because if you take even one dime of it, you must abide by government dictate. I really don't see how this differs. Our government, with a push from the ACLU, is on a rampage to remove all types of religious symbolism from all public property. How can government funding, even if its only 5%, be given to support a Religious Based Community Building with a Mosque inside it? Hospitals accepting government funding may no longer have chapels that contain any signs of Christianity (crosses, bibles, etc.) or anything for any specific faith - only a room. What is the difference?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/us...ames.html?_r=1
I am not sure what the guidelines are for the things under which you can apply for LMDC grants, although I see that someone has posted that and I will look at it later. I do know that they will consider cultural enhancements to downtown, so maybe that's how Park51 is angling their application. For religious purposes, I don't think it should fly. LMDC did give a grant to a symphony to provide concerts at Trinity Church, but only the venue was a religious facility--I don't believe the concerts themselves were religious.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Daisy Khan, Imam Faisal's (sp?) wife, gives premarital counseling and addresses the possibility of polygamy in the Muslim marriage -- despite the practice being illegal in the US. Weird, no. Illegal, yes.
Nice attempt to water down her women's rights work into one irrelevant point. The Mormons would also like to have polygamy legalized. Polygamy is hardly a threat to human civilization.

For other posters who are truly interested in what I was referring to and care to learn:

In four years WISE has tackled an impressive range of issues affecting Muslim women internationally – including domestic and sexual violence, education, women's rights in marriage / divorce / inheritance. Their current focus is a campaign against extremist violence in Islam. In a striking innovation they are developing the first ever training program for women to become a Muslim jurist (or mufiyyah) – qualified to interpret Muslim law and pronounce decisions (or fatwas). This program values modern scholarship (e.g., modern human rights law, theories of globalization), ecumenical exchange with Jewish / Christian and other traditions (it is hosted at the protestant Union Theological Seminary), and, is deeply rooted in the long and diverse traditions of Islamic scholarship and spirituality. As Daisy Khan said, “If you look at the landscape of the Muslim world there are more than 500 million Muslim women around the world and there was not a single institution that spoke for us. So, if we are not at the table, who is going to speak for us?”

Ethics Forum: Daisy Khan Means Flower Power

Sisterhood is Islamic: an Interview with Daisy Khan | Politics | Religion Dispatches_

Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 AM

221 posts, read 452,953 times
It will contain a mosque. Hence it is a church. Hence why the government should not give them a single cent.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
It will contain a mosque. Hence it is a church. Hence why the government should not give them a single cent.
It is a community center that has a mosque in it. My local hospital has a chapel in it, should they be barred from any government funding or grants or should the hospital be considered a "church" since it contains one within it?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The imam behind this mosque has been known for saying controversial things and writing controversial books.
Good. So has Dinesh D'Souza and Madonna.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 AM

221 posts, read 452,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It is a community center that has a mosque in it. My local hospital has a chapel in it, should they be barred from any government funding or grants or should the hospital be considered a "church" since it contains one within it?
A chapel is a nondenominational place. Anyone can believe in whatever they want to believe while in it. The chapel does not push any one set of beliefs on anyone.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Amazingly enough, there are a lot of morons in NYC who want the mosque.
Fine with me. I don't live there. Why should i care? I want someone in my city to build a new bowling alley. And i don't want the people of NYC to have any say so about it.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
A chapel is a nondenominational church.
chapel [ˈtʃæpəl]
n
1. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a place of Christian worship in a larger building, esp a place set apart, with a separate altar, in a church or cathedral
2. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a similar place of worship in or attached to a large house or institution, such as a college, hospital or prison
3. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a church subordinate to a parish church
4. (Christianity / Protestantism) (in Britain)
a. a Nonconformist place of worship
b. Nonconformist religious practices or doctrine
c. (as adjective) he is chapel, but his wife is church Compare church [8]
5. (Christianity / Roman Catholic Church) (in Scotland) a Roman Catholic church
6. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) the members of a trade union in a particular newspaper office, printing house, etc.
7. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a printing office
[from Old French chapele, from Late Latin cappella, diminutive of cappa cloak (see cap); originally denoting the sanctuary where the cloak of St Martin of Tours was kept as a relic]

A place of Christian worship, even if non-denominational. Hence why it isn't called a temple or a mosque.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It is a building to be used by area residents, not just Muslims.

If you wish to read the details of the grant, its requirements and procedures, then you can read them here.

http://http://www.renewnyc.com/content/pdfs/FAQs_FINAL_10-12-10_10-27-10_addendum.pdf (broken link)
I clicked on your link (apparently the only one who did) and it didn't work.

I went to the LMDC site, though, and found this in the general statement about the application for funds from the 2005 program. I don't imagine it can have changed much.

[SIZE=3]
All funding applications will be evaluated based on the following:
• Organizational mission

• Leadership and staff

• Organizational purpose and programming plan

• Project scope and history, including potential impact on Lower Manhattan revitalization

• Budgets and schedule

• Fundraising plan for capital and operating expenses
[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]Projected beneficiaries, including Lower Manhattan residents, employees, visitors, and surrounding businesses [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lower Manhattan Development Corporation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies