Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Just did some research. It is described as Park 51, which will be a Community Center AND Mosque.

I still wonder when is the last time the Government funded a Community Center that just happened to have a Catholic Church in it or Jewish Synagogue as part of it?

Also, does anyone know if the Community Services to be offered and described as "domestic abuse" social service programs would be based on U.S. law/legal advice or Sharia Law/legal advice? Also, another program to be offered was Arabic and other foreign language classes and immigration services. May be slightly off topic, but why wouldn't English Classes be taught? I mean if you are going to offer immigration services, wouldn't you be interested in teaching the language of the land people are immigrating to. That would certainly make sense if one is truly interested in "community building."
I found my answers within these two transcripts of the Debate over the Proposed Park51.
The Debate over the Proposed Park51 Community Center in Downtown Manhattan - Council on Foreign Relations
Quote:
KHAN: However, we have said that we would not only have a 9/11 memorial within the space, but that we would certainly consider having (contemplation ?) space for all religions.
A Conversation with Feisal Abdul Rauf - Council on Foreign Relations
Quote:
RAUF: Then you have the religious issues. How do we -- how do we go around the issue of separation of church and state?
(for complete context please read the whole transcript)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Separation of Mosque and State.

If we have separation of Church and state, then we have to have it from Mosque and state as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Separation of Mosque and State.

If we have separation of Church and state, then we have to have it from Mosque and state as well.
You'd think, wouldn't you? However, I believe that is where they came up with calling it a community center.

However, in reading Khan's transcript, I found a discrepancy, when she is being questioned in regards to an 'open to public' (my failure to find better words) culture center. Like it just may not be quite what they had in mind to begin with. (like a ymca?)

Also, Rauf mentions, 'stake holders'. Who are the stake holders and what part do they play as for as the financing of this building or any part of this building for that matter?

Is this like Baptist and they call them Deacons of the Church?

imho, this is not a religious culture bridge building center. This is a political scam. Nothing more, nothing less. This is not what spirituality is all about. People, on the other hand, oh yeah.

When is a Mosque, not a Mosque and when is it not a symbol used to display a victory? When it's on U.S. soil?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 AM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Why would the government be funding ANY religious place of worship?
It's the million dollar question GBM. If they get this $$$, America deserves to be laughed at. Community Center. WHATEVER! That **** cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
One day, people are going to say, you know we ought not to have done that. And some one will reply, ya think?!
"One day" will be one day too late.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
My JCC gets federal and state funding. It's a community center that anyone can join, but 99% are Jews. Jewish services are held there as are Jewish education classes.

The YMCA in my hometown had Christian activities. So do Boy Scouts (and they certainly get federal funding).

I agree that these should have their federal funding cut, but you need to cut them ALL before you can start picking and choosing. Stop running around scared. I, for one, am excited about the opportunity to go to Middle Eastern cooking classes at the MCC.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
[quote=actonbell;16760438]I keep asking those same questions. What I have come up with is people are fickle.

One day, people are going to say, you know we ought not to have done that. And some one will reply, ya think?![/quote]

Exactly, we need to really open our eyes and see what is going on- It is scary. We have way too many people being "politically correct" and jumping on the bandwagon they do not seem to understand the muslim religion is based on Converting the world to their religion whoever does not believe in Allah is worthless. They want this MOSQUE up for Victory- That is what I believe.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My JCC gets federal and state funding. It's a community center that anyone can join, but 99% are Jews. Jewish services are held there as are Jewish education classes.

The YMCA in my hometown had Christian activities. So do Boy Scouts (and they certainly get federal funding).

I agree that these should have their federal funding cut, but you need to cut them ALL before you can start picking and choosing. Stop running around scared. I, for one, am excited about the opportunity to go to Middle Eastern cooking classes at the MCC.

Yea OK sparky! Right On (yea right)

Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
[quote=jackinyc;16769510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I keep asking those same questions. What I have come up with is people are fickle.

One day, people are going to say, you know we ought not to have done that. And some one will reply, ya think?![/quote]

Exactly, we need to really open our eyes and see what is going on- It is scary. We have way too many people being "politically correct" and jumping on the bandwagon they do not seem to understand the muslim religion is based on Converting the world to their religion whoever does not believe in Allah is worthless. They want this MOSQUE up for Victory- That is what I believe.
Belief is a funny thing. It's not backed up by fact, as is clear in your case.

There is nothing politically correct about saying that the vast majority of Muslims in the US are peaceful people.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM

[quote=charolastra00;16769583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post

Belief is a funny thing. It's not backed up by fact, as is clear in your case.

There is nothing politically correct about saying that the vast majority of Muslims in the US are peaceful people.
You have your opinion as I have mine there sparky- I got my facts do you know yours? Enjoy your cooking classes (yea right,) call me when in NYC and let me know how much you fit it and will be acceppted walking into a Muslim center. I will need a good laugh

Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah because, as we all know, Muslims are known for their "cultural centers" sprinkled throughout the world.

It's a mosque. The primary reason for it's construction was to provide a house of worship for Muslims in Lower Manhattan. Anything beyond that is a simple attempt at appeasement.
Why would you say that? There are already several Muslim prayer centers/mosques in lower Manhattan, as you must be aware.

The idea behind this facility is and always has been modeled after the JCC concept.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/ny...sque.html?_r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies