Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sooner rather than later if Soros is as invested in RFID technology companies as he is in the new airport x-ray nude photo scanners. I figure it is hidden somewhere in the HHS regulations for Obamacare. Get chip implanted with all medical info. or no treatment per HHS Sec. . Or, chips for every financial transaction and then a scan by the IRS to be certain all taxes are being collected.

Michael Chertoff, the orignial head of the Department of Homeland Security under Pres. Bush, is far more involved in body scan technology than Soros. In fact, he's partner in the company which builds the things, Rapiscan, and he's been going around pushing for more of them and for depolying the so-called second generation of scanners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
with NO identifying or security features whatsoever other than a signature.

Surely in this day and age we could be issued with a more SECURE "card" than a piece of flimsy cardboard we're not even allowed to LEGALLY laminate to protect it from normal "wear and tear".

Why not a plastic card with a photo and fingerprint?
My old, original SS card, issued in the late 40's or early 50's, says it's "Not to be used for identification."

I assume that's still the case, so there's your answer. It can be used to identify the number, but not me personally. It is not, and isn't supposed to be, an identification card like your drivers license is.

If that's changed over the years, I'm not aware of it.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Isn't it printed right on the card that it isn't to be used for identification purposes? So there's really no need for all sorts of "security updating," is there?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
It may not legally be used for identification purposes, but it still is. I recall having to use my SS# in college on those scantron tests. Maybe that's changed since the early '90's with identity theft running rampant? Dunno.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't it printed right on the card that it isn't to be used for identification purposes? So there's really no need for all sorts of "security updating," is there?
Considering that illegals counterfeit SS cards all the time in order to obtain employment here (not to mention identity theft), I would say it's high time to update the cards.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It may not legally be used for identification purposes, but it still is. I recall having to use my SS# in college on those scantron tests. Maybe that's changed since the early '90's with identity theft running rampant? Dunno.

But, didn't you have also show a second form of identification too? Usually, that's the case. An SS card to reveal the number linked to your name and another card to identify you, personally.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
But, didn't you have also show a second form of identification too? Usually, that's the case. An SS card to reveal the number linked to your name and another card to identify you, personally.
No, you just filled in the bubbles with your name and SS#. No other identifiers were required. Like I said though, colleges may have changed that since I graduated but I don't really know.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That bit about not to be used for ID purposes was a gigantic load. Try getting a driver's license in IN (and probably other states as well) without one. Also, in college my student ID was my SSN.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Who needs a Social Security card when you can simply use someone else's?

Signed,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Illegal Alien

Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
with NO identifying or security features whatsoever other than a signature.

Surely in this day and age we could be issued with a more SECURE "card" than a piece of flimsy cardboard we're not even allowed to LEGALLY laminate to protect it from normal "wear and tear".

Why not a plastic card with a photo and fingerprint?
Why not just a tattoo on your azz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies