Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 158 74.53%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Interestingly, I've read some studies that have found that gay and lesbian relationships tend to much more equal in power than heterosexual relationships and things like household chores are more equally shared. Heterosexual relationships often have a power imbalance because of gender roles.

Fingerhut, A. W., Peplau, L. A., & Gable, S. L. (2010). Identity, minority stress and psychological well-being among gay men and lesbians. Psychology & Sexuality 1 (2), 101-114. PDF Beals, K. P., Peplau, L. A., & Gable, S. L. (2009). Stigma managemen (http://www.peplaulab.ucla.edu/Publications.html - broken link)

I have also read that children tend to do better in life and be more financially stable. I think too often people aganist homosexual marriage use single parents in their data to prove that having a male and female role is superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,339,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I am, generally, for it. But seeniorita brought up something I hadn't thought about. The children may, indeed, be subjected to "hatred and challenges" that may come from a gay union. I wouldn't wish that on a child. However, that may be a relatively small price to pay for being brought up in a loving environment. There are way too many hetero couples who don't know the first thing about parenting and/or have children for all the wrong reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of grey areas in this issue.
My partner and I (both female) have 3 daughters - now in their teens. None of them have been teased or bullied about having 2 mums - in fact it's the opposite - we're always having their school friends over for dinner or sleepovers. And we often hear comments from their friends that it would be great to have 2 mums.
But we live in Australia (my partner is originally from the US - Bible Belt) and there isn't anywhere near as much vilification and misrepresentation of gay people by religious groups... like the US seems to have.

Last edited by Ceist; 11-27-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I don't know.......seeing two guys or ladies give each other a kiss is certainly different that a straight couple! And, yes, the kids going into the bedroom to wake up mom and dad to say "Santa's been here!" would seem somewhat odd being that it would be two women or two men in the bedroom!
It may seem "odd" to you if you are straight, but it's not odd for children of gay and lesbian couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
With what a large, part of society thinks about gay couples in the first place, I wouldn't want to be a child living with a gay couple in todays society. Do gay couples go to their kids sporting events, PTA meetings and other things that involve their kids? Just curious.
Yes of course! Why wouldn't we? That's part of being a good parent.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
What are the chances your kids will be gay? Nill. So because of you and your partner's selfish desires (to raise a kid into a same sex parental household) the kid is going to have severe identity and self esteem and confidence issues.

Do whatever you want to in your own beds, but for the love of God don't drag innocent children into your perverted lifestyle.
???

My partner and I have 3 daughters -all straight.
And they certainly don't have "severe identity and self esteem and confidence issues."
In fact, just the opposite. All 3 are confident, intelligent girls, with great grades, good friends and healthy self-esteem. All 3 could run rings around you in a debate.

"For the love of God" please never have children and drag them into your nasty, bigoted, ignorant, lifestyle.

I feel sorry for you -You clearly had very poor parenting as a child.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Quote:
???

My partner and I have 3 daughters -all straight.
And they certainly don't have "severe identity and self esteem and confidence issues."
In fact, just the opposite. All 3 are confident, intelligent girls, with great grades, good friends and healthy self-esteem. All 3 could run rings around you in a debate.

"For the love of God" please never have children and drag them into your nasty, bigoted, ignorant, lifestyle.

I feel sorry for you -You clearly had very poor parenting as a child.

Zing!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Because I am raised in a Christian home and am now on my own journey with God (although it is not good atm), I will most likely to raise a home with Christian doctrine and faith as well. If my 17 year old came out, I would definitely be heartbroken. I think my struggle with this issue is how to not overlook or condemn but talk to them and share the love of Jesus with him/her in a more understanding way of how God work for the good of those who love him (for the sake of argument let's say they're involve with church, loves Jesus, etc). If they're not involve with church, etc., then I still the opportunity to love and share the Goodnews to them. Not to codemn but to bring hope. If they choose to embrace this, then I can't do anything about but pray for them. If they choose to not embrace this and want to over come it, I'll help them as much as I can as their mother. It is my job, as their mother, to love and bring truth into their lives. All this talk sounds easy but I know it's definitely not going to be easy.
There are many gay Christians. If you have a gay or lesbian child, I would encourage you to investigate those churches who are accepting of gays and do not abuse the Bible by using it out of context to condemn homosexuals. Is that something you think Jesus would do?

Homosexuality is not something to "overcome". All you could do is force someone to pretend they are straight by teaching them to hate themselves. How would this be loving them?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,387,302 times
Quote:
There are many gay Christians. If you have a gay or lesbian child, I would encourage you to investigate those churches who are accepting of gays and do not abuse the Bible by using it out of context to condemn homosexuals. Is that something you think Jesus would do?

Homosexuality is not something to "overcome". All you could do is force someone to pretend they are straight by teaching them to hate themselves. How would this be loving them?
I do believe that there are many gay christians and there are churches that do accept gay people as well. However, I do not agree with their doctrine if they are tolerating it. I also know that many people abuse the Bible by condemning these gay people and it is something that I avoid. However, it is not condemning when you speak the truth with love. How is sharing the Gospel with my 17 year old condemning when it is use for teaching, reproofing, correction, and for training in righteousness?

Does Jesus want us to tolerate with sins? I hope not because he sure didn't.

Homosexuality is something that you can overcome, just like any other sin, except that it is more challenging and more difficult. You tell others to accept themselves because to accept yourself means to not pretend who you are. My problem with this is that sin (any sin) feel so real and right and true when it feel so normal to you. I disagree. I stand on my ground with this topic. I don't mean to offend anyone but this is what I believe in.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I don't know about that Jaymax daniel b. wallace is one of the foremost experts in the world on koine greek and he says it does mean homosexual.

False Translation of the word "homosexual" - 1 Cor 6:9 - Page 13 - Christian Forums
The paper I linked to was by Professor Dale B Martin. Woolsey Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University.
Yale > Religious Studies > About the Faculty > Dale Martin

Could you link to a paper by Wallace that goes into anywhere near the detail of research of Prof Dale B Martin's paper? In the blog entry on a forum you linked to, he just quotes a Lexicon as the source of his opinon rather than show any reasoning or research into the use of the word. But he does say in that link that "White is correct that this term should not be translated “homosexual...”.

Last edited by Ceist; 11-27-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I do believe that there are many gay christians and there are churches that do accept gay people as well. However, I do not agree with their doctrine if they are tolerating it. I also know that many people abuse the Bible by condemning these gay people and it is something that I avoid. However, it is not condemning when you speak the truth with love. How is sharing the Gospel with my 17 year old condemning when it is use for teaching, reproofing, correction, and for training in righteousness?

Does Jesus want us to tolerate with sins? I hope not because he sure didn't.

Homosexuality is something that you can overcome, just like any other sin, except that it is more challenging and more difficult. You tell others to accept themselves because to accept yourself means to not pretend who you are. My problem with this is that sin (any sin) feel so real and right and true when it feel so normal to you. I disagree. I stand on my ground with this topic. I don't mean to offend anyone but this is what I believe in.
I just find this sad.

I hope for their sakes, none of your children are homosexual, because this sort of rigid, ill-informed, religious prejudice from a parent can turn a gay teenager to suicide.
I suggest you watch a movie "Tears for Bobby" - it may help you to understand.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I have also read that children tend to do better in life and be more financially stable. I think too often people aganist homosexual marriage use single parents in their data to prove that having a male and female role is superior.
That's what I have found as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies