Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 158 74.53%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The paper I linked to was by Professor Dale B Martin. Woolsey Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University.
Yale > Religious Studies > About the Faculty > Dale Martin

Could you link to a paper by Wallace that goes into anywhere near the detail of research of Prof Dale B Martin's paper? In the blog entry on a forum you linked to, he just quotes a Lexicon as the source of his opinon rather than show any reasoning or research into the use of the word. But he does say in that link that "White is correct that this term should not be translated “homosexual...”.
No sadly other then the full article on the subject that is all i can find. Prof wallace seems to have an issue of not going into detailed analysis when writing papers refuting non experts opinions such as mel white i have found. I have some of his books so i will look later to see what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Agree.

The amount of incompetent straight parents provide enough ammunition to sink an entire armada of objectors.

The part about kids of gay parents growing up gay is entertaining. What happens with a single parent? Do the kids grow up with bent gender identities, or do they "become" bisexual because they don't have a daily hand-holding example to follow? I'm much more concerned about kids of single parents. They always seem at risk for getting screwed up. What about kids who are brought up in a household (using the term loosely) where "baby momma" doesn't even know the location or identity of "baby daddy"? What happens when "baby momma" deposits five children in rapid fire succession, into a guaranteed life of uselessness, through no fault of their own?

The objections to gay people raising children, therefore, are not really concerns about children. Many people who object to gay couples raising children and think they will produce gay offspring, are expressing their selfish, narcissistic personalities.

What would people think of me if my child was gay?
How would I be viewed in church? What would my priest think of me now that my child is impure?
How would I handle the objections of people like me?
Would I have to move to a different town?
Would others think I abused my kids?
What if others think I am a homosexual?

Parents always react awfully to discussions about things that would reflect poorly upon themselves. The objections reveal the horror that the parents would feel if their kids were gay, or even worse, if their friends and community thought that they were gay themselves.

I also have to wonder how many of the most loud objections belong to people who are either closeted homosexuals, or are/were running around "on the DL". Maybe not all, but there are some.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
I voted no, I am 100% against this.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I don't care. It's better for a child to be loved, than to be in some orphanage.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I voted no, I am 100% against this.
Why?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:11 PM

449 posts, read 934,537 times
I think that males and females contribute vastly different things in the raising of a child and that these things influence the child in different ways. I believe that girls learn things that are essential to being a woman from their female role models, and boys learn things that are essential to being a man from male role models. A woman can not teach a boy how to be a man, husband, father and a man can not teach a girl about being a woman, wife, mother.

I also doubt many of the studies produced today as the behavioral sciences are fully controlled by the far Left. To produce an a study that shows gays in a bad light would be nothing short of heresy in today's political academic climate - and ones career would be sentenced to death for the offense. Even the APA itself admits to engaging in activism and social engineering.

In the absence of any proof that I consider credible, I would be inclined to error in the best interest of the child.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 PM

449 posts, read 934,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
How clueless. I suppose all those single moms and dads actually don't exist.
You need to overcome your hate. It's not good for you, you know?
It's humorous how fast you malign my points as being "hate." If anything is the mark of an ignorant person it is their knee jerk use of personal attacks of those with whom they disagree.

I do not believe that children should be raised in single parent homes either. I believe a mother and a father is the ideal situation. Pointing out that there are many homes that are less than ideal, doesn't mean that we ought to encourage more homes that are less than ideal. That is like saying it is OK to litter because everyone else is doing it.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
It's humorous how fast you malign my points as being "hate." If anything is the mark of an ignorant person it is their knee jerk use of personal attacks of those with whom they disagree.

I do not believe that children should be raised in single parent homes either. I believe a mother and a father is the ideal situation. Pointing out that there are many homes that are less than ideal, doesn't mean that we ought to encourage more homes that are less than ideal. That is like saying it is OK to litter because everyone else is doing it.
The argument is the crack baby with HIV is better off under state care vs homed with homosexual parents. As long as that Disney Utopia is a steadfast ideal in the American psyche while firmly wrapped in CTs, of course. It doesn't fly from where I sit. Any way, while I agree that the soft sciences are typically wanting, these (this really) longitudinal studies is the best we have to work with. That, and the most unencumbered stats we can produce.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
All we need is love.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 AM

131 posts, read 113,965 times
The way that I see it. As long as children are not being physically or psychologically abused, then they should be placed with anyone who is capable of adequately providing for them.

Since the child will not be observing his foster parents having sex and the child won't be involved with either parent's sex life, I don't see how the parent's sexual orientation or their genitalia is relevant to the adoption.

However alternatively, there are entirely too much data which would indicate sexual, physical, and psychological abuse on the part of heterosexual foster parents.

Should it be permissible for heterosexual potential foster parents to adopt?

See, now posed that way, even the question itself sounds stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies