Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM

527 posts, read 1,018,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
70Ford !!! ... Your Post Is On The Mark !!!

Yes indeed ... you have perfectly described the " Incredibly Dopey " beliefs of so many of CDF's "Clueless Crew" !

These folks would without doubt "Run Of The White Flag" rather than ever consider any armed defense against a dangerous enemy who would willingly and without mercy conquer this nation !

Sadly America has nearly reached this most dangerous and apathetic level of appeasement with it's many enemies around the world !

It truly appears that our nation is awash with "Vastly Inept Career Politicians" who would absolutely be to damn timid and delusional to be relied upon to make the critical decisions that would ultimately allow our beloved military to defend the American people in a crisis !!!

Our great founding fathers would have absolutely puked their guts out if they could have been aware of some of the shamefully weak comments made by some American's responding to this interesting thread !!!

The American Nation is in deep trouble and it sadly appears that not many of the political folks who spend such vast amounts of time and tax payer money in "LA LA Land" could give a "Rats AZZZZZZ" !

Thanks Y"ALL / Not So Old Sgt. Lamar
+1 rep from me - I agree with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
What a nice catch phrase L. Funk...."apathetic appeasement".

Those 2 words say sooooo much for everything wrong in America today.
Rep to you.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
We made a promise to Japan that if you do not build your military we will defend you. It is kind of late to go back on that promise now considering how big the neighbors' militaries are. I am not an interventionalist. I do not agree with troops in Germany, invasion of Iraq, the continued war in afghanistan or many other places that we have committed. But to South Korea and Japan we gave our word. Both countries are success stories. If there is going to be a 3rd WW this is where it is going to take start...not the middle east. We need to protect our interests in the Pacific and not Israel's in the Middle East.

Please explain to me "our interests" in the Pacific.

At the time we gave "our word", we did so out of fear of the USSR and Mao's China. It was called the "Cold War". Today, the USSR is no more and China is as capitalist as we are.

Things change: Japan and South Korea have rebuilt with our aid. They've done well. Time to say good bye.

The whole thing reminds me of a bad marriage: it never seems to end.

If China doesn't want Japan to fully rearm, they'd better tell NK to be very, very quiet.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,356,616 times
I see alot of gung ho remarks being posted about "bring it on America with kick their arse" and how everybody else who isn't in a agreement with that are spineless apathetic appeasment artists supposedly.

Haven't we learned from the last decade not to charge into war without careful thought? North Korea out to conquer the world?, c'mon on now. I guess it is easy to say all this considering it would be Koreans who die and loose their cities and homes, it won't happen back here in safe and sound America. But American soldiers will die, we will be responsible for the after math also, can we afford another 10 year nation building episode?

If war really broke out, we will be in it, but I don't see the logic in pushing for it. I hope cooler heads prevail compared to some of the "let's charge in and kill 'em" mindset being posted.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
We made a promise to Japan that if you do not build your military we will defend you. It is kind of late to go back on that promise now considering how big the neighbors' militaries are. I am not an interventionalist. I do not agree with troops in Germany, invasion of Iraq, the continued war in afghanistan or many other places that we have committed. But to South Korea and Japan we gave our word. Both countries are success stories. If there is going to be a 3rd WW this is where it is going to take start...not the middle east. We need to protect our interests in the Pacific and not Israel's in the Middle East.
And like good parents we should allow them to forge ahead on their own, now that they are more than able.
Both countries seem to have a problem with having our troops on their soil. That is up until they feel threatened. Then the cry for more support is sounded.
At this point in time we can no longer afford to be a world sugar daddy.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
This just sucks all around We have to worry about the Middle East and now this. This just sucks plain and simple
Why is that? It's not any different than all of the 20th century.

Maybe we can agitate enough to cause a military conflict so that area of the world can destroy itself and we can gain a little edge economically. Sort of like WWII but on a smaller scale.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Please explain to me "our interests" in the Pacific.

At the time we gave "our word", we did so out of fear of the USSR and Mao's China. It was called the "Cold War". Today, the USSR is no more and China is as capitalist as we are.

Things change: Japan and South Korea have rebuilt with our aid. They've done well. Time to say good bye.

The whole thing reminds me of a bad marriage: it never seems to end.

If China doesn't want Japan to fully rearm, they'd better tell NK to be very, very quiet.
Lets see, for one thing we have Islands located in the Pacific, perhaps you have heard of them. Less than 70 years ago they were attacked. The attacks came from the pacific. The pacific coast is the most vulnerable. Take a look at an Atlas. Those who do not know history are destined to repeat it. The Japanese and Chinese have a hate hate relationship. China is our biggest threat, and they are not democratic they are communist. Both Sout Korea and Japan are democratic.

Like I said I am in favor of being out of the middle east but not Korea. I have no problem with weaning these two countries, but we should give them a time line so they can build up their military.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abooker1 View Post
wait a minute....you are on the side of north korea? i bet you voted for obama too. makes sense.
How in the world did you get that from what I posted? It is literally impossible for you to be more wrong. The laws of the universe would have to be torn asunder for you to be able to be more wrong.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I see alot of gung ho remarks being posted about "bring it on America with kick their arse" and how everybody else who isn't in a agreement with that are spineless apathetic appeasment artists supposedly.

Haven't we learned from the last decade not to charge into war without careful thought? North Korea out to conquer the world?, c'mon on now. I guess it is easy to say all this considering it would be Koreans who die and loose their cities and homes, it won't happen back here in safe and sound America. But American soldiers will die, we will be responsible for the after math also, can we afford another 10 year nation building episode?

If war really broke out, we will be in it, but I don't see the logic in pushing for it. I hope cooler heads prevail compared to some of the "let's charge in and kill 'em" mindset being posted.
I am certainly not gung ho about going to war. I am in favor of withdrawing all troops from the middle east and europe. However, to prevent war we do need send a clear message showing that we are support of South Korea. We should not incite war.

We are loosing troops everyday in Afghanistan and they have absolutely no strategic interest nor does Iraq. South Korea and Japan have been our allies and are strategically located.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
1953 Mutual Defense Treaty
Never Heard of any such treaty.

We went into the Korean War under a UN Resolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies