Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Maybe they want to continue to feel like the victim so they don't have to take responsibility for their actions? It's so easy to blame the other person for one's problems, especially when it is used to bypass any responsibility.

Of course, there are other social factors as well. But other minority groups have risen, so why can't the AA? The only reason I could think of is that the AA community wants to segregate themselves away from the rest of the people. And in there, anger and resentment boils.

I really did wish that more people would call the AA community out on their BS.

On a side note, I want affirmative action just because I'm an Asian minority. Where's my pity party?? >.>

WTF does this racist babble have to do with anyone black or white supporting these two? This thread is titled why do Blacks support OJ and Michael Vicks

Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Did you support him when the initial charges came out or did you condemn him and his actions?

The prosecution F'd up so much it was like a freakin roller coaster. I had my doubts, but it wasn't because he was black, but the more the case went on, it was clear that either he did it himself or he was covering for someone close to him (child maybe).

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wow, what's with the hatred here?

One reason many people do not understand the uproar over Michael Vick is really simple. Because although no one likes animal cruelty, it is ridiculous that Vick was punished more harshly than rapists, child abusers, spouse abusers and even some murderers. That sounds unfair to me. Why don't we come down as hard on people who terrorize other people? Human life should be more valuable than the life of animals for our justice system.

I think Vick should be punished, but if the guy who raped 4 people got 12 months of probation, then I need to side with Michael Vick. That punishment was unnecessarily harsh.

Some people support OJ because he "beat" the justice system. He was found not guilty, it is pretty rare that happens. It is support in principal more than real support. And for other African-americans, they grew up with OJ, so it is hard to see him as a murderer. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, so I do not understand people are calling out African-Americans for refusing to believe someone they liked did something bad.
Vick got fined, two years sentence and back out. The black community at the time defended the dog fights as some sort of black heritage. I call total BS on that one. Besides, the main charges against Vick pertained to his role in leading organized illegal gambling operations.

IMO, he served his time and deserved a second chance. From all accounts, he learned his lesson and is doing well. I say good for him.

The OJ case - one of the main reasons OJ was acquitted was because the authorities feared that LA would burn again - i.e. Rodney King II. So much for a civilized culture...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,013 times
I have a real problem with Vick. I am really struggling with him. I am a believer that people when they get out of jail should be givin a 2nd chance to live a productive life. ( For certain crimes) I dont think a child molester should be able to work at a school or what not

My problem with Vick is, I cant get past him physically drowning a dog.I cant get past what type of person puts their hands on a dog to drown them

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The prosecution F'd up so much it was like a freakin roller coaster. I had my doubts, but it wasn't because he was black, but the more the case went on, it was clear that either he did it himself or he was covering for someone close to him (child maybe).
How did they mess up?

He admitted in court to killing dogs himself.He admitted to bank rolling the dog fighting op but said he never personally placed a bet.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
There is a good debate going on the Atlanta board about Michael Vick and the discussion quickly turned to race. Many non-blacks find it hard to understand the support that is given to high profile blacks like OJ and Michael Vick. This article is a good read even though I could never understand supporting someone because of something was done generations ago. I know must be because I am white. What are your thoughts?

Why Black People Support Michael Vick - COLORLINES
First, anytime "Blacks" is used categorically to describe the thoughts feelings and opinions of EVERY Black American in the country the mindset of the writer tends to be from the standpoint of All Black Americans Think Alike" that is hardly the case. Many Black Americans didn't approve of Michael Vick being involved in dog fighting.

The point is this he broke the law and he did his time. What more does he owe society? He has been speaking out to young people that his actions were wrong and telling them not to follow the path that he did. He hasn't been arrested for any criminal activity since his conviction. He hasn't failed a drug test since his conviction. The indication is this is an individual that is making an effort to turn his life around.

So what's the point of some of the outright hatred that has been expressed towards Michael Vick?

It's the intensity of the hatred and some of the comments made that make some Black Americans feel there is a racial element to at least some of the criticism aimed at Michael Vick.

Now compare the reaction to Michael Vick and that of Dany Heatly a professional hockey player who in 2003 was driving after drinking got in an accident and killed the passenger, who was also his teammate in the car he was driving. He copped a plea and served three years probabation. In fact he is still playing in the NHL and has been a five time All-Star. Yet we hear nearly a whimper from people about his incident after it happened.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
How did they mess up?

He admitted in court to killing dogs himself.He admitted to bank rolling the dog fighting op but said he never personally placed a bet.

What???? My comment was about OJ. Again Vicks served his time and YES I support him.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't support OJ, but I do support Michael Vicks. Michael served his time and has actually been very positive since his release. Why would I not support him just as any other black, white, asian ect?
Sure Vick did his time, but the rest of the "positive" nonsense is just him gaming the system.

And I can't forgive stuff like this:

Warning..graphic pic.

Michael Vick’s Reality Show vs. the American People « SportsChat

Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Vick got fined, two years sentence and back out. The black community at the time defended the dog fights as some sort of black heritage. I call total BS on that one. Besides, the main charges against Vick pertained to his role in leading organized illegal gambling operations.

IMO, he served his time and deserved a second chance. From all accounts, he learned his lesson and is doing well. I say good for him.

The OJ case - one of the main reasons OJ was acquitted was because the authorities feared that LA would burn again - i.e. Rodney King II. So much for a civilized culture...

The Black Community? Where is this community? There are millions of blacks in the U.S your claiming that we all defended Vicks when everything occured? I think not.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM

507 posts, read 678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Maybe they want to continue to feel like the victim so they don't have to take responsibility for their actions? It's so easy to blame the other person for one's problems, especially when it is used to bypass any responsibility.

Of course, there are other social factors as well. But other minority groups have risen, so why can't the AA? The only reason I could think of is that the AA community wants to segregate themselves away from the rest of the people. And in there, anger and resentment boils.

I really did wish that more people would call the AA community out on their BS.

On a side note, I want affirmative action just because I'm an Asian minority. Where's my pity party?? >.>
This is so completely laughable and absurd. Instead of addressing the issue at hand, you bring the same old tired nonsense because you have nothing worthwhile to contribute. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected here.

I think a lot of black people suffer some the same affliction that I do. It's the involuntary cringe that you experience when you hear on the news that a black person did something bad, or you wait to hear if the dude who robbed the bank happened to be black. Part of the reason I feel like this happens is because black people are often lumped together, so if one black person does something bad, then it's not just as isolated case, it's often assumed at all black people are bad. So I know that whatever some random guy on tv did will automatically be reflected on me just because we happen to share the same skin color, and as a result I feel the need to defend myself, and ultimately my skin color, because of that.

The post above represents this problem. The person above generalizes and entire race of people, which ultimately does more harm than good.

In the case of Michael Vick, I think what he did was awful, but he served him time, and now he should have the opportunity to become a contributing member of society again. That is how our system is supposed to work, but I have still heard people say that he should never be allow to work again. I think that's absurd. If someone wants to hire him (which they did) he should be allow to work. I would say the same for others (such as Don Imus) regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies