Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...so if you're white, it's ok if you're impaired when you do something stupid?

The overall impression I'm getting is if you are a White American you tend to get treated with considerably more compassion if you somehow take a misstep in life by some White Americans. You definitely deserve a second chance, if you are a Black American you tend to get judge much more severly for ANY TRANSGRESSION you make by some White Americans.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
White people will NOT be a minority in a few decades. Helll, they won't be a minority in a few centuries. I don't know where you get that from.

And black folks didn't get a "pass" on anything. We started doing certain things because we HAD to out of necessity.

And still, i have no idea what this has to do with wanting Vick to be a success since he's paid his dues.
Actually you are wrong and woefully misinformed.

For Americans age 65 and over 86% of those are classified as "White Alone" by the U.S. Census Bureau.

For Americans age 18 and younger 39% are non-White.

For Americans in grades K-12 43% are non-White.

The year 2009 marked the first year that more non-White American babies were born than White American babies.

The next twenty years are going to see the biggest demographic changes in American history with regards to the racial composition of this country.

Most people aren't aware of how dramatic the changes will be.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
The generalizations in this thread about black people never cease to amaze me. LOL! As is any of you know any black people on a personal level. smh
Anyway, I will never support Michael Vick. I don't care how much time he served, what he does for any community, blah,blah,blah. I feel like anyone who is capable of holding a dog down and pulling its teeth out, drowning and torturing them ( a living organism), is on the same level as a serial killer who gets off murdering humans . For me a person who does these things has no SOUL whatsoever. Bye Vick, bye....
Agreed on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Meant to say I [would rather] teach and educate. Either way I can still teach and educate my peers (the youth)

All the police had to use was mase and taser, and maybe a tackle and pin method, not the usage of of batons and punches to the excess. This happened and still happens all across the US like I said. If it was just an isolated incident that happened to Rodney the riots would have at the most been a protest or a call for the NAACP.
Agreed again. There was no reason for the beating that man received. The police were simply insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not excusing Michael Vick's behavior (and as an animal lover I was disgusted) but there are many people who commit serious crimes against children who are not "punished" as harshly as Michael Vick was for the animal abuse.

I never ceases to amaze me that many people will step over a hungry, abused and/or homeless child to rescue a stray cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I actually saw PETA protesters (awhile ago in Santa Monica, of course) who were protesting animal cruelty and yet there were quite a few homeless people in the immediate area that could have used the same level of advocacy.
The either/or argument is nonsensical. For one, there are more than enough humans out there to tackle every cause. The world would be pretty one-dimensional if we all only worked towards one issue. It only makes sense that different segments of the population support a variety of issues. Also, there are quite a few of us that are capable of compassion in more than one direction. I am vegetarian and donate monthly to the ASPCA...all the while volunteering at hospice (for humans). To be honest, ime, such arguments are typically made by folk that donate their time nowhere.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM

240 posts, read 443,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

For Americans age 65 and over 86% of those are classified as "White Alone" by the U.S. Census Bureau.

The year 2009 marked the first year that more non-White American babies were born than White American babies.

The next twenty years are going to see the biggest demographic changes in American history with regards to the racial composition of this country.

Enjoyed reading your post. Can you expand on how the changes in demographics will/might change the country???

Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Enjoyed reading your post. Can you expand on how the changes in demographics will/might change the country???
Well, the US is well on the way of becoming a combination of Somalia, Gonduras and Mexico... Economically and politically. Quite dramatic changes are on the way indeed.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Although I did not post the statistics, I will weigh in on the demographic changes this country will have over the next 20 years.

1. The white population will likely be just shy of 50%, making the US a minority majority country. On a micro level, most major cities have already experienced this and they are coping well.

2. Population centers around the country will start to resemble what you would find in Chicago, at least in feeling, although not necessarily numbers. 33% white, 33% black, 30% Hispanic, and approx. 5% Asian. Obviously these numbers will be adjusted greatly per each local, but the point is we are becoming truly multicultural and it will show everywhere.

3. Many places will be bilingual, much like the early 20th century in NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, SF.

4. The country is swinging more liberal. Aside from this election which was largely based on the economy, and moderate Republicans were elected anyway, you will start to see liberal attitudes on social issues becoming mainstream. Think gay marriage, abortion, legalization of marijuana. These issues are no longer outcasts, they are here to stay.

5. The suburbs will become more diverse. I live in Chicagoland. Many suburbs are becoming much more diverse in ethnicity, bringing each ethnic group more cohesively together. People my generation (20s and 30s) and the younger generation now have friends from all types of ethnicities and religions. It is no longer as segregated.

6. The United States may begin to ally itself more with Latin America and Japan (even more than now) than Europe. Partially this is due to population shifts here, but also because Europe is becoming irrelevant and unreliable.

7. We will also see a decreased influence of religion in PUBLIC life. Not private life, but public life. The views of usually Southern politicians on religious issues will no longer resonate with the plurality it does now.

8. Traditional "American" holidays will become more blended with other cultures and beliefs. Rather than just having Christmas parties, we will begin to further incorporate other holidays (Chanukah and Kwanzaa and others as well) in public displays. Remember many Hispanics view Christmas religiously, not as a more secular holiday.

9. For politics, look to see more Asian members of Congress in the next 20 years. Many Asians were born in the 1970s and 1980s and have the pedigree. Good solid educations, well respected, and come from good family backgrounds.

10. More of a science focus in public schools, which is sorely needed anyway. Asian and Hispanic students are taught to be technical at home, and this translates into school as well. Most Asian and Hispanic college students tend to pursue the sciences.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM

240 posts, read 443,217 times
[quote=chitown85;16802751]Although I did not post the statistics, I will weigh in on the demographic changes this country will have over the next 20 years.

9. For politics, look to see more Asian members of Congress in the next 20 years. Many Asians were born in the 1970s and 1980s and have the pedigree. Good solid educations, well respected, and come from good family backgrounds.
QUOTE]

I enjoyed your post but I laughed out loud when I read #9. Only becuase I don't think current politicians have solid educations, are well respected and have good family backgrounds!! If they did, then maybe, as a group, they would display more character and values on issues. Hell, maybe they would even ACTUALLY READ the bills before they passed them!!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

I'm not misinformed. Not even close. Right now, whites make up over 70% of the population. Blacks less than 12%...hispanics slightly higher than that. What folks are forgetting is that the overwhelming majority of hispanics are WHITE. So how are whites going to be in the minority in a few decades?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Hispanics can be of any race. They were classified as white until about 1990. Now they have a separate category for Hispanics as they are of a separate race than whites.

Hispanics are currently 16% of the nation.
African Americans are 13%.
Asians are 5%.
Native Americans are about 1%.

This means that 65% of America is white.

The "white population" can be further subdivided into the white ethnic groups: Scotch-Irish, German, Polish, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Greek, etc.

Same goes for the Asian and Hispanic populations.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Currently the population of the US is about 312 million. In 40 years, by 2050, our population is projected to be 440 million. I don't necessarily buy this because that is an increase of close to 30 million a decade. Our birth rate is close to our death rate and most of our population increases are coming from immigration. Immigration will slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies