Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times

Advertisements

Well they do say you should rest on the 7th day, unfortunately it only took 3 days for the ban on earmarks to take a rest.

Quote:
Only three days after GOP senators and senators-elect renounced earmarks, Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl, the No. 2 Senate Republican, got himself a whopping $200 million to settle an Arizona Indian tribe's water rights claim against the government.
Kyl slipped the measure into a larger bill sought by President Barack Obama and passed by the Senate on Friday to settle claims by black farmers and American Indians against the federal government. Kyl's office insists the measure is not an earmark, and the House didn't deem it one when it considered a version earlier this year.
But it meets the know-it-when-you-see-it test, critics say. Under Senate rules, an earmark is a spending item inserted "primarily at the request of a senator" that goes "to an entity, or (is) targeted to a specific state."
Republicans' ban on earmarks was short-lived - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Wow, even I wasn't cynical enough to think it would be that quick!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, even I wasn't cynical enough to think it would be that quick!
I am, I'm shocked that it took this long.

By the way, the new Republican rules don't take place until the next Congress.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Mmm, the ban yes...but not really if you look back a bit...

"That is why this month the GOP conference voted to adopt a voluntary, unilateral ban on all earmarks for the remainder of the 111th Congress. The resolution declares that "no member shall request a congressional earmark, limited tax benefit, or limited tariff benefit.""

- Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Breaking the earmark addiction

Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
This guy has been an elected member of the senate since 1994.

I cannot lump him into the same group of republicans and Tea partiers that were elected a few weeks ago.

This is not a a republican vs democrat issue and as such democrats who are unhappy with the last election dont need to hold steadfast for their support for their party regardless of how bad they are doing.

All anyone had to do was look at the republican primary's and see how liberatarians, tea partiers, and republicans alike all came out to throw out the likes of politicians like Kyl. And though I do not know anything about him I would be curious to know if he would have been thrown out??

I hope the democrats have the gumption to do the same. Get rid of career politicians who say one thing and do another?? We all would have a much better system if we all banded together and held these people to their words.

I have never been a fan of the two party system but the Liberal/conservative, democrat/republican partisan politics is getting old..

Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
This guy has been an elected member of the senate since 1994.

I cannot lump him into the same group of republicans and Tea partiers that were elected a few weeks ago.
Ah, but old John is a original signateur of the Pledge to America.

Quote:
This is not a a republican vs democrat issue and as such democrats who are unhappy with the last election dont need to hold steadfast for their support for their party regardless of how bad they are doing.
Huh? How bad they are doing politically or how bad they are doing policy wise? If you believe in the policy there is every reason to hold fast to the Party.

All anyone had to do was look at the republican primary's and see how liberatarians, tea partiers, and republicans alike all came out to throw out the likes of politicians like Kyl. And though I do not know anything about him I would be curious to know if he would have been thrown out??

Kyl is Senate minority whip! He would have done fine.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Well they do say you should rest on the 7th day, unfortunately it only took 3 days for the ban on earmarks to take a rest.

Republicans' ban on earmarks was short-lived - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com
Part of what republicans are doing now is to pin down what is/is not an earmark, and which ones are viewed as legitimate, and which will no longer be allowed.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post

So do you condemn Dem earmarks also? Or do you think earmarks are OK? Let's leave Kyl aside for the moment. Where do you stand on earmarks?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Earmarks for Native Americans should be considered payback for all the times the US government ripped them off.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So do you condemn Dem earmarks also? Or do you think earmarks are OK? Let's leave Kyl aside for the moment. Where do you stand on earmarks?

I condemn HYPOCRITS. If your for something then damn it say your for it. Don't get out there on your finger pointing rant berating others, but cower in the shadows like a lying coward doing the exact same thing that your condeming.
By the way, I'm not for them at all, but the difference between the Dems and Republicans is, the Dems make it known that their for them, while the Republicans will bytch and moan for camera, but attempt to quietly slide them into a bill but claim their not earmarks, the need to be defined. Give me a break. There is no excuse for this no matter which party is doing it.

Now that you've gotten you answer, back to the OP and KYL HYPOCRITICAL stance on earmarks. You and others are very vocal when you feel the Dems especially the President has lied or accuse them of being hypocrits, what comment if any do you have on KYL and HIS states earmark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies