Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
They shouldn't just have a house they should have palaces. And why stop at $14 lets raise to $50. Btw tell that to all the poor people who do support theirselves and families on $8 an hr and manage to keep a home.
No one is saying that people need 'palaces' to live in. And even if a family can live on a household income of the current minimum wage, it would be a VERY precarious method of survival. One small bit of misfortune, such as an illness, injury, or unforeseen emergency, and a family liivng on minimum wage could easily end up in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
LOL! It's so simplistic for you, isn't it? Passing the buck, I mean.

Why don't you create a business and hire people? What's stopping you? Think of the impact you could have, IMMEDIATELY, on and in your own community. If you feel so strongly about this - take the bull by the horns and do it ... don't expect others to do your bidding, do it yourself.

(At least you stopped smacking yourself in the head - thank goodness for small favors I guess.)
I don't have the start-up capital, to open a business if I wanted to. And that's nearly impossible to come by, if a person doesn't have assets, great credit, collateral, or a huge amount of money saved up. I have none of those things, and can't get them, because I'm out of work myself.

Why don't YOU create a business yourself. Or at least do something positive, to help the poor?? And stop with the emoticon jokes. They're pathetic!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I don't have the start-up capital, to open a business if I wanted to. And that's nearly impossible to come by, if a person doesn't have assets, great credit, collateral, or a huge amount of money saved up. I have none of those things, and can't get them, because I'm out of work myself.

Why don't YOU create a business yourself. Or at least do something positive, to help the poor?? And stop with the emoticon jokes. They're pathetic!
I own several businesses - and NONE of them were created with huge amounts of capital or business loans. It's quite possible to create a successful business without any of the things you listed.

As for helping the less fortunate - I do. Frequently.

If you would spend more time actually doing things - instead of trying to pass the buck on to the government - you could be a successful person who is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Private employers aren't solving the problems of this economy. So if taxes have to raised to create government jobs, then so be it. The tax burden, should be placed mainly on the wealthy, rather than the middle class and the poor. Jobs are not being created by private employers now, so a government jobs program, looks like our only option. And if the government can't creat jobs, then how come they did it during the great depression. This country needs a New Deal program, NOW!
Wars are a government jobs program, puts lots of people to work around the world.... WWII ended the great depression not the new deal jobs...

Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I own several businesses - and NONE of them were created with huge amounts of capital or business loans. It's quite possible to create a successful business without any of the things you listed.

As for helping the less fortunate - I do. Frequently.

If you would spend more time actually doing things - instead of trying to pass the buck on to the government - you could be a successful person who is part of the solution and not part of the problem.
I'm not part of the problem, because I didn't create homeless or poverty. And I do what I can, which is volunteer and make donations, when I can afford to. And the government does have some responsibility, to it's citizens. That's not 'passing the buck', that's just saying that the government should have at least some accountability to us.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
I'm not part of the problem, because I didn't create homeless or poverty. And I do what I can, which is volunteer and make donations, when I can afford to. And the government does have some responsibility, to it's citizens. That's not 'passing the buck', that's just saying that the government should have at least some accountability to us.
The government has no responsibility to feed or house us.... That is our responsibility....

The government has NO money of it's own, it steals it from "We The People"...

Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:

You most definitely are part of the problem - because your solutions aren't solutions at all - but strive for long term dependence on the government which creates the very situation you disdain.

Get off your hind end and do something about it if you care so deeply and quit expecting others to do it for you.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The government has no responsibility to feed or house us.... That is our responsibility....

The government has NO money of it's own, it steals it from "We The People"...
The government DOES have a responsibility, to provide for those, who are unable to provide for themselves. If a person pays taxes, then they should be entitled to government assistance, if they need it. If private employers don't have to guarantee people jobs, then they can't always support themselves. At that point, the government has an obligation to step in, and provide aid.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
The government DOES have a responsibility, to provide for those, who are unable to provide for themselves. If a person pays taxes, then they should be entitled to government assistance, if they need it. If private employers don't have to guarantee people jobs, then they can't always support themselves. At that point, the government has an obligation to step in, and provide aid.
You are not unable to provide for yourself - it's just easier for you not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
You most definitely are part of the problem - because your solutions aren't solutions at all - but strive for long term dependence on the government which creates the very situation you disdain.

Get off your hind end and do something about it if you care so deeply and quit expecting others to do it for you.
I'm just one person, and I've done everything that I can do, as I've explained more than once. My donations and volunteer work, are not enough to solve a huge problem like homelessness.

You've spent PLENTY of time on this thread, bashing me. Why don't YOU go do something, to help the poor yourself??

Last edited by artwomyn; 11-27-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies