Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Keep in mind, that landlords are basically greedy people, and don't care about their tenants. Some landlords are better than others, but they all want one thing-to make as much money off of their tenants, as they possibly can, while doing as little for their tenants, as they can get away with.
If it wasn't for these so called "greedy" people willing to invest what is after all THEIR money into properties to rent out, where would people who can't afford their own homes live hmmmm?

I don't think it's "greedy" for a landlord to expect to cover his/her costs AND make a little over that as a return on their investment, but apparently YOU do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing liberals care about is power, and the more people they can keep dependent on them, the more power they have. nearly all the big government programs, social security, welfare, medicare, medicaid, all were put in place by liberals..
If that were true why have conservatives gone so far out of their way to bankrupt all of the above? If liberals had their druthers they'd close the door tight and prevent congress from ever touching what are public funded insurance we've paid into all along. Republicans blocked that and instead expanded benefits to seniors without putting money in the kitty. Blank check credit card policy trying to win voter approval for party loyalty, not what's in the best interest of their country.

When the majority means to keep these programs, and conservatives claim that establishing a means for individuals to provide for themselves in golden years is 'communist'... the alternative plan is? Panhandling at 80 yrs old? Living in the pews waiting for a soup kitchen to materialize? Burdening their adult children already struggling to raise their grandchildren? What's the conservative plan? Die sooner as social darwinism intended? When civilization is done getting the blood from your bones we'll discard you? There is no motive for any citizen to support any brand of civilization that cannot be bothered to protect it's children and elderly. Humans are both at one point in their lives whether they care to acknowledge it or not.

Quote:
again, i am not blaming the victim, i am merely stating fact. the rich went out and worked for what they have, they put in the 100+ hours per week to get where they are. they stepped up to the plate and took risks knowing that they could very well fail, and often times they did fail, and more than once before they made themselves rich.
You are blaming the victim if you have no willingness to acknowledge the greater landscape of cause and effect or look in your rear view mirror who you just ran over. Reverting to the argument that America is a battleground of haves and have nots is a machination that doesn't resemble reality, but sold to ambitious young men to justify their behavior. The vast pool of talent & diversity as expressed in the grand tapestry of America is more like a human eco system. Eat the rich harms the eco system as much as eat the poor. The model you speak of embraces crony capitalism, the negative competition of capitalism. The healthier model of capitalism is the basis for all only so long as prices cannot be manipulated. This includes the value of labor as well as the value of goods on the market.

The people you call 'rich' are whom? The ones who were rewarded most by deregulation were the ones who produced nothing by way of manufacturing. They contributed nothing beyond creating illusions of wealth that this entire nation and all it's real industries will now be forced to compensate as every false gain in accounting for 30 odd years is realized. This includes those who are 'formerly rich', small business, and middle class. Would these music men be in line with Reagan doctrine in it's honest application, entire boardrooms would have seen the same pressures imposed upon it's renumeration because they too are labor. They work for investors, and it was not THEIR money being risked, nor should the rewards have been disproportionately theirs at the expense of investors. 30 million salaries and golden parachutes paid upfront via contractual obligations... when meritocracy is eliminated from accounting, how is that capitalism?

SO... for the vast majority seeing a system so sickened that the only way to make a guaranteed living is to be a madison avenue thief, robbing others of their worth to hoard it for yourself, being in the business of prostituting yourself to sell an audience everything they want to hear--- the rewards system in America has what to do with Christianity or Judaism? It has what to do with liberty or freedom? It has what to do with the constitution? I cannot blame the anger of youth pointing at a crooked game and if they're rejecting every last work ethic that American traditions have upheld, Corporate America needs to take responsibility for the damage done to labor. Worshiping paradigms caused them to starve ethics to death & obscenely reward charlatans.

Quote:
as for bush, he did not steal any elections, and even the new york times said as much. they along with other newspapers went back and counted the ballots after the election was certified, and the ballots became public record, and found that bush won the 2000 election.
No one will ever know who actually won that election because no count was permitted to be completed. Ballots were found in dumpsters in florida. Katherine Harris & good ole boy Jeb rewarded are on record as well. That's documented for history to judge for themselves, right along with every grievous act he perpetrated against the very constitution he swore to uphold. Hitler? More like an impish evil clown making parody of everything I hold sacred. Prefer to let this dog go to his dog house or will you continue defending him? This thread was about homeless if you recall.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If it wasn't for these so called "greedy" people willing to invest what is after all THEIR money into properties to rent out, where would people who can't afford their own homes live hmmmm?

I don't think it's "greedy" for a landlord to expect to cover his/her costs AND make a little over that as a return on their investment, but apparently YOU do.
It's bizarre that anyone would think that landlords rent for anything but an income. I always thought I would rent out my in-law apartment, but reading a few of these posts scares me.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Guess what? It didn't...

Oh wait, I never received a lease for that property, because I was only renting one ROOM of that house. The owners who sold it also lived there, and gave themselves two weeks to move as well.

When it comes to legal issues, if you don't have the money to pay lawyers to fight it for you, you have to obey what the cops tell you.

They say "Get out"...you get out.

Otherwise, you are what RBohm refers to as a bad tenant.
well since you never signed a lease agreement, you have no right to stay if the property is sold. sorry. as for paying for an attorney, there are many that will work on a commission basis, and others that will do pro bono work, you just have to go out and find them, they wont come to you, at least the good ones wont.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Or there's the japanese "solution"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/02/bu...sule.html?_r=1

looks like what the liberals want

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you said it...you were renting a ROOM...
I lived in something called a hotel, with private individual rooms, but still basically a one room apartment. Two if you count the separate bathroom. The owner still had every right to enter his property at any time, and didn't need 30 days to evict you. He told you to get out, you got out. He'd wait until you left and change the locks--since the place had no windows, good luck getting any of your stuff, bud.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's bizarre that anyone would think that landlords rent for anything but an income. I always thought I would rent out my in-law apartment, but reading a few of these posts scares me.
Well bizarre is pretty descriptive of certain posters' thought processes from what I see here.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
well since you never signed a lease agreement, you have no right to stay if the property is sold. sorry. as for paying for an attorney, there are many that will work on a commission basis, and others that will do pro bono work, you just have to go out and find them, they wont come to you, at least the good ones wont.
Hey, face it, tenants have no rights. You got no money, you got no power.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm a paycheck away from being homeless, even though I have a regular lease now, which I haven't in the past. If I can't keep up MY end by paying my rent, then I should not expect to be permitted to remain. Other times, I have lived with people who have decided that it was time for me to go, or who sold their property to another and needed me to leave. Homelessness was NOT my choice, but a choice made for me. Having a job, it was easy to put aside money for a little while to get myself re-established somewhere else. But any place you go will generally want about three times rent--which is hard when all you can really afford IS the monthly rent, you can't take that large a hit all at once. I have NO savings, even today. In fact, I have less than $10 in the bank, and I just got paid Friday.

The only way for me to save money is to get rid of my largest expense--housing.
Yet you say in other threads that you're "content" with your life as it is - so there you go. It's YOUR choice.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Guess what? It didn't...

Oh wait, I never received a lease for that property, because I was only renting one ROOM of that house. The owners who sold it also lived there, and gave themselves two weeks to move as well.

When it comes to legal issues, if you don't have the money to pay lawyers to fight it for you, you have to obey what the cops tell you.

They say "Get out"...you get out.

Otherwise, you are what RBohm refers to as a bad tenant.
First, who's fault is it that you didn't require a written agreement prior to moving into the property?

Second, a quick look at Florida's Landlord/Tenant law shows that a month to month tenancy requires 15 days notice - so it looks like your landlords were within the law.

And third, Landlord/Tenant court cases are some of the most user friendly ON THE TENANT SIDE. Tenants can drag their feet til the cows come home ... police will always defer to the court system and can't remove you without an order of eviction from the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies