Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, it takes a lot of time, often 90 days or more, and if the tenant pays any rent in that time, the process starts over.
That's worse than I thought. What about month to month leases where a tenant doesn't want to leave? To me, it would be violating. I couldn't imagine having some filthy arse in my home against my will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, you got no money, you got no power.

It's useless to tell me what SHOULD have happened--I'm telling you what DID. Two different things.
apparently you dont read too well, there are lawyers that work on a contingency fee basis, and lawyers that do pro bono work. get out and find one of them to help you.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
The reality of the situation, is that you need to get focused on finding your next place to stay, not wasting your time fighting a losing battle.

Let's be practical, after all.

Last edited by TKramar; 11-28-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What must suck for some landlords is getting stuck with a renter for months on end who doesn't pay rent. I hear eviction takes some time.
When you have a valid lease, it can take a little bit of time but not too much, as long as the default is in relation to nonpayment of rent. Depends on the state. From what I understand (in FL), you have to serve a three-day notice first, then file for eviction with the courts. A process server or sheriff has to serve the tenant. If the tenant does not respond within five days, the court issues a writ for possession of the property by the landlord. This must be served by the sheriff and gives 24 hours' notice for the tenant to get out. This is how I understand it, I'm no lawyer but I do have a rental property so I try to keep up with the laws. I have not have a problem so far, so if you are wary of renting out your in-law apartment, my advice is to screen your tenant good, have them sign a lease that protects you as the landlord and stay aware of what's going on and any applicable laws. In the case of the house being sold, I believe the laws are quite different and the tenant has to be given at least a month's notice if the lease is year-to-year. Here's one excerpt: Florida Eviction Process | Access Evictions.com

Quote:
The termination of tenancies for reasons other than rent the notice period varies. For breaches of the lease other than payment of rent the landlord must serve a seven day notice to comply or vacate. To end a periodic tenancy at the end of the period the notice requirements depend on the length of the term. If the tenancy is from year to year the landlord must give not less than 3 months’ notice prior to the end of any annual period; for a tenancy fom quarter to quarter, by giving not less than 45 days’ notice prior to the end of any quarter; for a month to month tenancy, by giving not less than 15 days’ notice prior to the end of any monthly period; and for a tenancy that is from week to week, the landlord must give not less than 7 days’ notice prior to the end of any weekly period.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is how I understand it, I'm no lawyer but I do have a rental property so I try to keep up with the laws. I have not have a problem so far, so if you are wary of renting out your in-law apartment, my advice is to screen your tenant good, have them sign a lease that protects you as the landlord and stay aware of what's going on and any applicable laws.
Thanks for the advice. What did you do to screen your tenant? I'm figuring a job check, a criminal check, and maybe a credit report? Did you charge them for that as well? I'm in MA, btw, so I don't know the laws here yet.

eta: I've also considered opening my home to families in need in the past. My dh certainly didn't like that idea and I wonder if I could get stuck there as well.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM

1,908 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Quote:
Hey, face it, tenants have no rights. You got no money, you got no power.
As others have said, this is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Again, completely untrue.

Landlord/tenant court is extremely user friendly for the tenant. In fact, in every state there are avenues & legal aid groups that help tenants FOR FREE.
Years ago my mom and I rented a house and signed a year's lease. A month later a couple showed up and wanted to see the house they "just bought and were moving into on the first of the next month". I did not let them in and I called the realtor and asked what was going on. I was told the house WAS sold and the new owners wanted to move in. I asked about our year's lease and was told, "A new lease is in the mail."
The new lease had 'one year' whited out and 'month to month' written in.
I KNEW this was wrong and I took both leases to the nearest court house and actually talked to the judge. He told me I had a strong case and would win in court. However, he suggested I write to the realtor with a few 'demands' which I did: we would move IF: another house of comparable size and cost was found; we would NOT be required to pay last and deposit - in fact we'd just transfer those already paid to the new place and pay regular monthly rent on the 1st; ALL utility transfers would be paid by the realtor (this included the current charges and those to incur with the move); pay the TOTAL cost of moving us - including renting the truck and paying for help.
I sent the letter 'registered' and heard back from them the day it arrived. They agreed to every one of my 'demands' and we willingly moved.
It cost me the price of a registered letter and that is all.
I researched landlord/tenant laws in AZ and knew exactly what I was doing.
I researched landlord/tenant laws in OR and have already had to do battle with my current landlord. I know my rights as a tenant and I stand by them.
I have the power! I have no money.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 AM

EXPERIENCE tells a different story.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
EXPERIENCE tells a different story.
It does.

And I have a wealth of experience in these issues.

Ignorance of your own rights is not cause to blame someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I have the power! I have no money.
Okay this ^ is hysterical. One rep point coming up!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It does.

And I have a wealth of experience in these issues.

Ignorance of your own rights is not cause to blame someone else.

Okay this ^ is hysterical. One rep point coming up!

All I can tell is is good luck--enjoy getting yourself locked up by the cops.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
There were people that were homeless before the 80s. But homelessness didn't become a widespread problem in America, until the 80s.

I only became a POLITICAL PROBLEM because the liberals wanted to have something to attack Reagan with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies