Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Quite a few people, can try and try to become wealthy, but they never make it. Everybody is not destined to become wealthy, no matter how hard they try. So don't don't hot me with that 'what's your excuse' stuff. You're yet another poster, who thinks that people can have whatever they want in life, if only they 'try hard enough, and work hard enough'.

And many of the wealthy, DO steal from others. They're not all hard working saints. To think so, is to be extremely naive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, staying true to your ethics usually isn't to your benefit, that's why it's important to do so anyhow.

If I wanted to steal from others, and lie, sure, I could probably end up making a lot of money. Look at the corrupt people who have managed to be "successful"--most rich people are corrupt, they just don't get caught at it.
Quote:
I've noticed REAL business owners that didn't pay themselves a dime for months.

I'd say that they weren't taking advantage of others, except perhaps through overpriced goods, but they weren't taking advantage of their employees. Yet, I don't suppose you'd consider them to be successful.
Quote:
No, it's simply noting the truth of the matter, the reality of the situation. You cannot make any money by being honest.
more misguided hogwash. yes there are some business people who are dishonest, and they are usually weeded out and put in jail, or sued into poverty. but to say that some business owners are taking advantage of people through overpriced goods, that is more hogwash. you need a lesson in how things are priced. remember that a business has to cover costs, including, but not limited to;

payroll
property taxes
purchases from vendors
utilities
equipment purchases
government regulations
theft
insurance
legal bills
loans
interest on loans
etc.

i know there is much i am leaving out. but an honest business person can make a lot of money.

remember that in order to stay in business, a company HAS to make enough of a profit to be viable. for instance, remember the car company studebaker? they went out of business in 1966. why? because GE, who owned the company at the time, felt that studebaker was not making enough money, to be fair their profit margin was quite thin, despite cost cutting measures taken by the parent company. so it was closed down.

a company has to make enough profit so that it can reinvest in the company to make it grow as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
The ONLY "solution" to homelessness I've seen you post so far is for the govt to "provide housing, food and healthcare for anyone that needs it".

That's NOT a solution, it's a WISH LIST for the gimme gimme crowd.

Exactly WHO do you think is going to PAY for this? Here's a newsflash - the government HAS NO MONEY except what they get from taxpayers.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Elistist tone?? I'm not the one looking down my nose at the homeless, and assuming that they all did it to themselves. It's you, and the other arch conserative posters, that have been doing that, with a vengence!
we are not looking down on the homeless, but we are setting the record straight. yes there are people that are homeless due to no fault of their own. but many are homeless because they made bad choices in life, they signed a mortgage they knew they could not afford, even if they stayed in their job. they got themselves hooked on drugs or alcohol, and lost their jobs that way. you need to get a dose of reality in your life.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Elistist tone?? I'm not the one looking down my nose at the homeless, and assuming that they all did it to themselves. It's you, and the other arch conserative posters, that have been doing that, with a vengence!
So tell us then. How many homeless have you moved into your house? When you say 0, that will be your que to end this thread. See this is the problem. People like yourself, there are many here, like to spout off about how people need help and the evil Conservatives don't want to help anyone all the while you guys DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but spit venom at how cruel people with money are and how they steal their way through life. What are YOU doing for the homeless? Nothing? I thought so, it's typical of the demographic.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if you are in the right, and the cops are not following the law, and they lock you up, you have recourse through the courts for false arrest and false imprisonment, as long as you are not doing anything illegal.

a lot of bad posts here, and it is quite obvious that you two have never had to meet a payroll, hire or fire employees, deal with banks on business loans, produce a business plan, figure out how to pay vendors after making payroll, or any of the other things a business owner has to do.

in regards to who damaged the economy, that blame falls on many people. to blame just republicans is partisan politics at its worst.

in regards to the rich inheriting their money, yes some did, paris hilton for instance is from old money, however dave thomas and bill gates and steve jobs were not.

as for not having the money to start up a business, and to people having all kinds of support when they start a business, hogwash. ever hear about howard johnson? he started out by buying a restaurant in boston. had to borrow the money from the bank. at first the business was going well, and he was able to make the loan payments. but the season ended, and he lost business, and could not make the payments, so the bank forclosed on the restaurant. but they did not want to shut the restaurant down, so they hired johnson to run the place until it could be sold. in time, the season hit again, and johnson was able to make loan payments again, and got current with the bank. this went on for a few years until one year a convention came into town during the slow season, and johnson was able to continue to make the loan payments.

later on he was able to open more restaurants across the country, eventually he got into the hotel business as well. he made it work.

as to the rich exploiting the poor, again hogwash. there are limits to what one can pay an employee, unless that employee is on commission. for instance, do you really think that flipping burgers at mcdonalds is worth $14 per hour? do you really think that being a cashier in a supermarket is worth $14 per hour? if so then you really need a lesson in how a business works.

and yes the rich got that way because they put in the hours, and took the big risks to get where they are today. that is a fact that you cannot deny. they also took advantage of the opportunities in front of them. bill gates started microsoft in his garage with very little money. in fact microsoft started off as a penny stock, you could buy shares for as little as 5 cents each when he did his IPO. if you had bought 1000 shares of microsoft back in the early 70s, you would be a multimillionaire today. that is NOT exploiting the poor as they could have done the same thing.

as for not having sources of money to start a business, again, there are venture capital companies, banks, credit unions, family, even loan sharks if you are that hard up. there have been many stories where someone put an ad in the paper asking for a penny, nickle, dime, quarter, or what ever change one could spare because they wanted to start a business, or go to college, and they would rake in thousands in cash that way. are you willing to refurbish an old hot dog cart that you could buy for a couple hundred dollars? then you can start a hot dog stand. but again you will have to put the hours in to make it work.

in the end a negative attitude towards making yourself a success will work against you. instead of looking at the roadblocks, how about looking at ways to get around those roadblocks? stop blaming others and stop blaming your current situation for your lack of success. as i said before, nearly everyone who made something of themselves, had their failures before they became successful.

you want to make yourself a success? come up with the next pet rock, or mood ring, or frisbee, or hula hoop.
You did say the Howard Johnson was able to start a business, by buying a small restaurant. What if he couldn't get the capital together, to buy the small restaurant? The point is, he DID have the capital, to acquire that first restaurant!

As for sources of capital, what if you can't borrow from banks, credit unions, etc., because your credit rating isn't the greatest. With the economic crisis, it's harder than ever, to borrow start-up capital. And what if you have no family or other relatives, that are able, or willing, to give you start-up capital? And only a fool, would deal with a loan-shark!

People putting ads in the paper, begging for money, are just scam artists. My attitude is not negative, just very realistic. I've had enough hard knocks in life, not to believe in any get-rich-quick schemes. Some of us don't have an extra dime, to start a business with. And can't beg, borrow, or won't steal, to get the start-up capital.

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed, this is a thread about the homeless, not on how to start a business with no money. If you want to keep harping on that, then you need to go to a business thread, and get off of this one!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Things are priced according to supply and demand. But that means that there are people who will not buy the product once it rises above a certain price point. Like...me. I won't pay $3 a pound for meat, for example. In fact, I won't even pay more than $2. That's why you don't see me buying much of it--it's overpriced, and I refuse to pay those prices.

If you page through Men's Health magazine, you'll see that there are clothes that are over $100. Sorry, a pair of jeans or a shirt isn't worth that much. Who the heck do these people think they are?

And your entrepreneurs have been pulled in front of the courts for antitrust violations, price fixing, etc. SOME of them have been punished, others got away with it.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So tell us then. How many homeless have you moved into your house? When you say 0, that will be your que to end this thread. See this is the problem. People like yourself, there are many here, like to spout off about how people need help and the evil Conservatives don't want to help anyone all the while you guys DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but spit venom at how cruel people with money are and how they steal their way through life. What are YOU doing for the homeless? Nothing? I thought so, it's typical of the demographic.
For the gagillianth time, I said that I donate, and I volunteer! My landlord, wouldn't let me take in anyone off of the street, because I'm a renter. You wanna talk about that, what have YOU done, to help the homeless YOURSELF?? Have YOU donated to the cause, or volunteered?

It's going to take action on the part of the government, to make a real dent in the homeless problem. I'M not the government, and don't have the funds myself, to help the homeless on the scale that they need to be helped!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You did say the Howard Johnson was able to start a business, by buying a small restaurant. What if he couldn't get the capital together, to buy the small restaurant? The point is, he DID have the capital, to acquire that first restaurant!

As for sources of capital, what if you can't borrow from banks, credit unions, etc., because your credit rating isn't the greatest. With the economic crisis, it's harder than ever, to borrow start-up capital. And what if you have no family or other relatives, that are able, or willing, to give you start-up capital? And only a fool, would deal with a loan-shark!

People putting ads in the paper, begging for money, are just scam artists. My attitude is not negative, just very realistic. I've had enough hard knocks in life, not to believe in any get-rich-quick schemes. Some of us don't have an extra dime, to start a business with. And can't beg, borrow, or won't steal, to get the start-up capital.

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed, this is a thread about the homeless, not on how to start a business with no money. If you want to keep harping on that, then you need to go to a business thread, and get off of this one!
you still dont get it, and you never will because you are too closed minded to even consider alternatives. i am done with you on this thread.

Quote:
Things are priced according to supply and demand. But that means that there are people who will not buy the product once it rises above a certain price point. Like...me. I won't pay $3 a pound for meat, for example. In fact, I won't even pay more than $2. That's why you don't see me buying much of it--it's overpriced, and I refuse to pay those prices.

If you page through Men's Health magazine, you'll see that there are clothes that are over $100. Sorry, a pair of jeans or a shirt isn't worth that much. Who the heck do these people think they are?

And your entrepreneurs have been pulled in front of the courts for antitrust violations, price fixing, etc. SOME of them have been punished, others got away with it.
again you need to understand how things are priced. until you have run a business, and set prices on things for sale, you wont understand how pricing works. as for business people who have been brought into court, do you realize how many frivolous lawsuits are brought against businesses?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
The homeless problem started up in the 80s,
You lost me here.

Unfortunately, there will be no end to homelessness, but we should absolutely work to minimize it.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

again you need to understand how things are priced. until you have run a business, and set prices on things for sale, you wont understand how pricing works. as for business people who have been brought into court, do you realize how many frivolous lawsuits are brought against businesses?
You need to understand that a lot of lawsuits are completely valid. People get away with stuff though.

As for pricing, I already advised you about "supply and demand". If there is no demand at a certain price point, it doesn't matter what the supply is, there's just no demand, so they need to start dropping the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies