Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't think it could happen, some people choose to be homeless.
This is true. Besides, you can't end it. It exists even in the most socially generous societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Not true. Homelessness has been a big part of the American culture up until the past 120 years or so. Admittedly, it has been mostly by peoples lifestyle & profession, but the appearance of it becoming more of a problem in the 80's is more due to the social awareness given to it (to help contrast the explosion in wealth & materialism of that decade). People who are homeless, against their will, has been a problem for a long time.
I agree. But the widening gap between the rich and poor in America, started in the 80s. That's when homelessness in America, became front page news. I want to focus on modern day homelessness, because of today's high housing costs, and the recession, that have exacerbated the homeless problem these days.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Here we tend to refer to them as "residentially challenged" here. We help those who want to be helped a few at a time the best we can, and then others don't want to be helped. It's hard--you have to be accountable to them and they have to be accountable to their commitment to make a change, if they are willing to make one.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 30,478 times
I think homelessness is a good thing - I once dated a homeless girl -
at the end of the evening, I didn't have to drive her home !!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We could start by beating back the drum of radical rabid "I'm a womyn not a wo-man" feminism

Kidding aside (well I was only half kidding) we need to end all the progressive ideology that affects both parties at this time, and we need to start being a wealthy country again. We're far from being a wealthy country. If you are $500,000 in debt, and you make $250,000 a year, are you really wealthy? No, you're not. The U.S. is almost $14 TRILLION in debt. And I know what your solution is for homelessness. Just throw more money at the problem in the hope of eliminating it. That won't work
If America is so broke, then how come we always seem to have money to spend on wars??

Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
...In a wealthy country like America, the homeless problem is a national disgrace. Shouldn't we use our considerable economic resources, to eliminate homelessness once and for all? And what do you think would be the best way, to go about doing so?
Elect a Progressive president , Senate & House of Representatives....the GOP is filled with bah-humbug Scrooges

Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry10606 View Post
I think homelessness is a good thing - I once dated a homeless girl -
at the end of the evening, I didn't have to drive her home !!
I wonder if you'd think that homelessness is such a good thing, if you were out on the streets yourself.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Elect a Progressive president , Senate & House of Representatives....the GOP is filled with bah-humbug Scrooges
Yeah so we can become Cuba. No thank you

Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I can never be zero, a lot of people choose to be homeless and that is the way they like it.

It is no more absurd a notion than people committing crimes after release from prison because they are more comfortable in the rigid structure inside where they know where they stand.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah so we can become Cuba. No thank you
No we would become a Western Civilized Democracy, instead of what we are heading towards > Third World Nation status
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies