Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'm making stir-fry turkey and dressing---weird recipe but it includes a lot of vegetables and it works well for just the two of us. I'm also making cranberries and pumpkin bread made with coconut milk, nuts and pineapple. We had our traditional Thanksgiving dinner last week with a large gathering of friends.

cranberries and pumpkin bread with coconut milk is a new one for me, sounds delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Just Turkey?
I am going to brine the turkey today and let is soak overnight. One cup of salt, handful of peppercorns, handful of thyme, rosemary, garlic and some brown sugar in 1.5 gallon of water, and submerge the turkey in a cooler (on its breast) overnight. It comes out really juicy that way. I couldn't believe how good it was the first time I tried it. I will also prepare Potatoes au Gratin with ham, and my wife and inlaws will take care of everything else.

If it were up to me I'd eat and then watch football, but football has been deemed 'unacceptable' when there are guests in the house. I don't get it, but what can I do?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-24-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Lily, The menu looks very tasty. I will be there for the Dark cake, can you include a glass of milk with ice?

You're on! I'm a fur piece from the South unfortunately. Grew up in Texas, probably not the South for some, but we were raised "southern".

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
This year will be different, for 32 years we have spent Thanksgiving with my family but now that Dad has passed it's just not the same so this year we are going to the in-laws.
There will be Turkey and all the stuff that goes with it, way more people than in my small family, the food will taste different and it will be loud but it will be fun, I'll miss being at Mom and Dad's but it's just the start of another chapter in life.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
The usual. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, etc. My contribution to the meal is homemade gingerbread with real whipped cream on top. Then I will fall asleep halfway through the Detroit Lion's football game as they carry on their tradition of losing to whatever team they play.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
I'm grilling a turkey, going to make mom's homemade bread dressing recipe, sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly from the can that maintains it's perfect shape when you dump it out on the plate, and 2 kinds of pie: pumpkin and pecan.

My father-in-law will come over for dinner. His wife passed away last week after a 4 year fight with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Interesting string beans in sour cream. I may have to try that one day minus the mushrooms. I never had duck, how is the taste different from Turkey?
A little Worchestershire sauce has to be added to the sour cream..enough to turn it light brown. Sprinkle with paprika when done..pretty easy!

Duck tastes nothing like turkey. It has a lot of fat (but that's what makes it taste so good!). The taste is a little gamey and wild. If you put an onion in the cavity while it's roasting it will take some of the 'gamey' taste away. And, it is never dry, as turkey can be.

Try it sometime!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
On our menu:
Roast Turkey
Pa dutch potato filling( mashed potatoes, dried bread cubes, fried onions and celery) then baked
gravy
Copes dried corn( pa dutch favorite)
Homegrown butternut squash,cooked (butter and brown sugar) Yummm....
Cranberry relish( way better than the canned)
A green bean casserole( ehhh...)
Bread stuffing
Cole slaw
Peas probably
Rye and white rolls, warm from the oven butter
Mince and pumpkin pie, vanilla ice cream w/coffee
Then watch the Cowboys get slaughtered, take a snooze, maybe take a walk if it stops raining.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
I have been cooking mostly today.
Turkey w/ Port Wine Gravy
Mashed potatoes w/ Prosciutto and Parmesan cheese
Sausage, apple and dried cranberry stuffing that will not be placed on the inside of a turkey tyvm. (almost made)
Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Praline topping (made)
Cranberry sauce (done)
Corn
Rolls (done-cuz I so cheated and just bought them)
A pumpkin pie which I almost folded in half taking it out of the oven about 5 minutes ago. But, I'm not going back to the grocery store if it kills me. I'm an awful lot more claustrophobic than I thought. And I can't take that and the sweet great -grandmother's eyeballing what is in my shopping cart. It's like they have this supersleuth thing going on and I have no idea what exactly they are deducing.

And a chocolate pecan bourbon pie.

And then I'm going to drop off my child so that he can do another Thanksgiving and I think that I will have a date with the Captain. We shall stare down the dishes.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I started a thread last year on Thanksgiving that was very enjoyable. I learned about a lot of different traditions outside of my usual Southern Thanksgiving meal.

Peggy Ann with the Vegan Thanksgiving
Momonkey Cheddar Muffins (still waiting for those by the say )
BenBow - will you be doing the venison this year?
Sanganista - Glogg (still trying to figure out what the heck that is.
Shorebaby will you be hitting the dinner in Hoboken again?

So I thought I would start a new thread for 2010. What's on the menu for tomorrow?
What I do for EVERY holiday....lay around relaxing, drinking some wine, reading and being thankful that I don't join the over-stressed, exhausted, overstuffed, crabby, women who think they really HAVE to go through that.....

And before ya pull out the violins my family and friends feel perfectly free to get together and eat and party WHENEVER we feel like it...not when society tells us to. There ARE 11 other months in the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies