Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Republicans are more like the party of, we-will-use-abortion-as-a-wedge-issue-to-rally-the-base-but-won't-ever-actually-do-anything-about-it. And oh yeah, we'll also use hate and fear to rally up our hijacked "Christian" base.
So you FINALLY caught on!!!

YEAAHHHH!!!!! See what happens when ya quit reading bumper stickers for political information! Pass it on to your Repub friends!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
yah...you're right...the party of 3000 abortions per day is much better.
Yes, only Democrats who hate gawd get abortions. Abortions only happen under Democratic administrations.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I know a group who would decline to get abortions---the ones who say, "I got an abortion because it was legal." And that is the only reason they give for getting one.

If it was not legal they would have the baby and put it up for adoption like it was done before abortion was legalized.
you are wearing blinders if you think this. women don't get abortions because it is "legal" they get one for all kind of reason just because you may not like their justifications for one they really owe no one an explanation of why they get one.

if it was not legal, yes a few would keep the baby, some would adopt but many others would seek out back alley abortions or self inflicted abortions like they did before it was legal. more women would be maimed and killed are you ok with that?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
1. Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman. Well, that's the most often heard argument, one even codified in a recently passed U.S. federal law. Yet it is easily the weakest. Who says who marriage is to be defined by? The married? The marriable? Isn't that kind of like allowing a banker to decide who is going to own the money in stored in his vaults? It seems to me that if the straight community cannot show a compelling reason to deny the institution of marriage to gay people, it shouldn't be denied. And such simple, nebulous declarations are hardly a compelling reason. They're really more like an expression of prejudce than any kind of a real argument. The concept of not denying people their rights unless you can show a compelling reason to do so is the very basis of the American ideal of human rights.

2. Marriage is for procreation. The proponents of that argument are really hard pressed to explain why, if that's the case, that infertile couples are allowed to marry. I, for one, would love to be there when the proponent of such an argument is to explain to his post-menopausal mother or impotent father that since they cannot procreate, they must now surrender their wedding rings! That would be fun to watch! Again, such an argument fails to persuade based on the marriages society does allow routinely, without even a second thought.

3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum environment in which to raise children. That's an interesting one, in light of who society does allow to get married and bring children into their marriage. Check it out: murderers, convicted felons of all sorts, even known child molesters are all allowed to freely marry and procreate, and do so every day, with hardly a second thought by these same critics. So if children are truly the priority here, why is this allowed? Why are the advocates of this argument not working to prohibit the above categories of people from raising children?
The fact is that many gay couples raise children, adopted and occasionally their own from failed attempts at heterosexual marriages. Lots and lots of scientific studies have shown that the outcomes of the children raised in the homes of gay and lesbian couples are just as good as those of straight couples. The differences have been shown again and again to be insignificant. Psychologists tell us that what makes the difference is the love of the parents, not their gender. The studies are very clear about that. And gay people are as capable of loving children as fully as anyone else.

4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage. Says who? The Bible? Somehow, I always thought that freedom of religion implied the right to freedom from religion as well. The Bible has absolutely no standing in American law (and none other than the father of the American democracy, Thomas Jefferson, very proudly took credit for that fact), and because it doesn't, no one has the right to impose rules anyone else simply because of something they percieve to be mandated by the Bible. Not all world religions have a problem with homosexuality; many sects of Buddhism, for example, celebrate gay relationships freely and would like to have the authority to make them legal marriages. In that sense, their religious freedom is being infringed. If one believes in religious freedom, the recognition that opposition to gay marriage is based on religious arguments is reason enough to discount this argument.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Republicans are more like the party of, we-will-use-abortion-as-a-wedge-issue-to-rally-the-base-but-won't-ever-actually-do-anything-about-it. And oh yeah, we'll also use hate and fear to rally up our hijacked "Christian" base.
You are just completely clueless. I hope you are either financially fit or you have been saving all of your money. If you refuse to believe what is going on, then you will be caught by surprise and suffer the consequences for deliberately remaining ignorant. For you to state what you stated without a single shred of proof whatsoever that any of this is just about fear and hate, then it is only your clueless opinion. I would give more attention to someone who employs 40 people for the sole purpose of fact finding, then I would give to a clueless opinionated CD poster.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:58 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
1. Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman. Well, that's the most often heard argument, one even codified in a recently passed U.S. federal law. Yet it is easily the weakest. Who says who marriage is to be defined by? The married? The marriable? Isn't that kind of like allowing a banker to decide who is going to own the money in stored in his vaults? It seems to me that if the straight community cannot show a compelling reason to deny the institution of marriage to gay people, it shouldn't be denied. And such simple, nebulous declarations are hardly a compelling reason. They're really more like an expression of prejudce than any kind of a real argument. The concept of not denying people their rights unless you can show a compelling reason to do so is the very basis of the American ideal of human rights.

2. Marriage is for procreation. The proponents of that argument are really hard pressed to explain why, if that's the case, that infertile couples are allowed to marry. I, for one, would love to be there when the proponent of such an argument is to explain to his post-menopausal mother or impotent father that since they cannot procreate, they must now surrender their wedding rings! That would be fun to watch! Again, such an argument fails to persuade based on the marriages society does allow routinely, without even a second thought.

3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum environment in which to raise children. That's an interesting one, in light of who society does allow to get married and bring children into their marriage. Check it out: murderers, convicted felons of all sorts, even known child molesters are all allowed to freely marry and procreate, and do so every day, with hardly a second thought by these same critics. So if children are truly the priority here, why is this allowed? Why are the advocates of this argument not working to prohibit the above categories of people from raising children?
The fact is that many gay couples raise children, adopted and occasionally their own from failed attempts at heterosexual marriages. Lots and lots of scientific studies have shown that the outcomes of the children raised in the homes of gay and lesbian couples are just as good as those of straight couples. The differences have been shown again and again to be insignificant. Psychologists tell us that what makes the difference is the love of the parents, not their gender. The studies are very clear about that. And gay people are as capable of loving children as fully as anyone else.

4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage. Says who? The Bible? Somehow, I always thought that freedom of religion implied the right to freedom from religion as well. The Bible has absolutely no standing in American law (and none other than the father of the American democracy, Thomas Jefferson, very proudly took credit for that fact), and because it doesn't, no one has the right to impose rules anyone else simply because of something they percieve to be mandated by the Bible. Not all world religions have a problem with homosexuality; many sects of Buddhism, for example, celebrate gay relationships freely and would like to have the authority to make them legal marriages. In that sense, their religious freedom is being infringed. If one believes in religious freedom, the recognition that opposition to gay marriage is based on religious arguments is reason enough to discount this argument.
Marriage is not a civil right, it is a priviledge. Gays CAN marry, move to a state where it is legal. Problem solved.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
5. Marriages are for ensuring the continuation of the species. The proponents of such an argument are going to have a really hard time persuading me that the human species is in any real danger of dying out through lack of procreation. If the ten percent of all the human race that is gay were to suddenly refrain from procreation, I think it is safe to say that the world would probably be better off. One of the world's most serious problems is overpopulation and the increasing anarchy that is resulting from it. Seems to me that gays would be doing the world a favor by not bringing more hungry mouths into an already overburdened world. So why encourage them? The vacuity of this argument is seen in the fact that those who raise this objection never object to infertile couples marrying; indeed, when their retired single parent, long past reproductive age, seeks to marry, the usual reaction is how cute and sweet that is. That fact alone shows how false this argument really is. Let's face it - marriage is about love and commitment, and support for that commitment, not about procreation.

6. Same-sex marriage would threaten the institution of marriage. That one's contradictory right on the face of it. Threaten marriage? By allowing people to marry? That doesn't sound very logical to me. If you allow gay people to marry each other, you no longer encourage them to marry people to whom they feel little attraction, with whom they most often cannot relate sexually, and thereby reduce the number of supposed heterosexual marriages that end up in the divorce courts. If it is the institution of heterosexual marriage that worries you, then consider that no one would require you or anyone else to participate in a gay marriage. So you would have freedom of choice, of choosing what kind of marriage to participate in -- something more than what you have now. And speaking of divorce -- to argue that the institution of marriage is worth preserving at the cost of requiring involuntary participants to remain in it is a better argument for tightening divorce laws than proscribing gay marriage.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I'm in a strange place politically. I'm pro life and pro gay marriage.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
If this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Na8mIU9I
is the kind of crap that the majority of voters are watching and the majority of lawmakers are bowing down too, I will see it as my moral obligation to never vote for such a party. Republicans, you disgust me.

based on the post in the OP, I have a hard time believing you are a

"As a Pro-Life Anti-Gay Marriage Catholic"

Sorry. that just fails the sniff test.

peace to you and yours...

Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm in a strange place politically. I'm pro life and pro gay marriage.
I am pro-anti-george-soros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies