Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ask your liberal friends what they think of Obama allowing the pat downs at airports. They are agreeing with it. HUH??????

Obama program = good

Republican program-= bad
Really? I skipped a lot of that super long thread about the pat downs, but what I did read, I didn't see too many who actually think they're a 'good thing' much less actually 'agree' with it. This 'liberal' actually disagrees so much that I've stated several times that I will not fly as long as those x-ray machines and pat downs are in force. I would much rather deal with road hazards on a bus or in my private car than have to submit to someone touching me in what I find to be inappropriate ways. (And, because of a non-obvious physical flaw that would show up in such an x-ray, I would be subjected to the pat down, if not asked to disrobe.)
Now, as an open minded person, I can see where some might think this is 'necessary'. But I've found, particularly with this type of subject involving politics, that too many people, on both sides of the political spectrum, simply don't want to even think about the other person's reasons for the position they hold. If one disagrees with them, that one is 'automatically' wrong because, of course, one's own position simply must be right and correct and don't expect such a one to even consider the other person's argument.
As the OP stated, it seems no one even knows how to be open minded any more, much less tries to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The point the OP was making was some people are two faced, say one thing and do another.....
No, that's not what I got from the OP at all. What I got was the same thing I've observed among my friends as well as among many of the posters here. No one seems to understand any more what being 'open minded' actually means. And it's really not that difficult. It simply means readiness to read or hear opinions different from your own, without jumping to conclusions about the person or persons expressing such opinions.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Simple answer to the premise of the op.

If others agree with you, they are open minded and wise.

If they disagree, they are close minded bigots.

This goes for both political parties and far to many individuals.
But, if you (all of us) are truly open minded yourself, then you wouldn't be jumping to those kinds of conclusions. An open minded person would look at what the other is saying, examine it for flaws and might actually find there is some part of it they agree with, even if they cannot agree with all of it. Whether they have agreed or disagreed with your original statement.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
But, if you (all of us) are truly open minded yourself, then you wouldn't be jumping to those kinds of conclusions. An open minded person would look at what the other is saying, examine it for flaws and might actually find there is some part of it they agree with, even if they cannot agree with all of it. Whether they have agreed or disagreed with your original statement.
Ahhhh, the logic bomb approach......it wins every time. Or at least in Star Trek episodes.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What have liberals done for anyone lately? Seriously look at their pathetic track record. They are almost useless. They shouldn't even be called liberals. They should be called "The Feeble and Obtuse Party" because they are so feeble and obtuse.
Well that's a fine example of an open minded conversation germane to the topic of the thread.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Simple answer to the premise of the op.

If others agree with you, they are open minded and wise.

If they disagree, they are close minded bigots.

This goes for both political parties and far to many individuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Not "jumping to those kinds of conclusions", merely observing the behaviors that keep intruding on life. In other words, stating a fact.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I get mad when conservatives think that their "opinions" all of a sudden have more value and meaning than anyone else's by the mere utterance of their words, without backing anything up they say with facts, logic, science, math, research, studies, links or anything that resembles objective analysis of any sort. Conservatives also, in addition to primarily stating subjective opinions (or really just parrotting Republican talking points for corporate privilege whether they realize it or not), do appear to just care about themselves and NOT American People as a whole. As a result, conservative voters end up cutting off their own noses to spite their own faces! This is contrary to what America is all about and this is what frustrates liberals the most about the conservative mindset, IMHO.
Everything you've just ascribed to 'conservatives', I've also seen in some 'liberals'. What we, as the readers and posters to this forum, need to learn to do is differentiate between the things we know to be facts and those which are only our opinions. For instance, the entire post above is your opinion, is it not? Just as my reply here is merely my opinion, correct? What truly rankles with me is when anyone of any political 'side' makes assumptions about another poster or a political belief without any facts to back that assumption up. Such assumption, in my opinion, invalidates whatever statement a poster is attempting to make.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 11-25-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Rephrasing one sentence

Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I get mad when conservatives think that their "opinions" all of a sudden have more value and meaning than anyone else's by the mere utterance of their words, without backing anything up they say with facts, logic, science, math, research, studies, links or anything that resembles objective analysis of any sort. Conservatives also, in addition to primarily stating subjective opinions (or really just parrotting Republican talking points for corporate privilege whether they realize it or not), do appear to just care about themselves and NOT American People as a whole. As a result, conservative voters end up cutting off their own noses to spite their own faces! This is contrary to what America is all about and this is what frustrates liberals the most about the conservative mindset, IMHO.

A self-professed liberal gets mad when conservative opinions don't match her own. I thought you liberals were all about tolerance of alternative viewpoints?

You're not so tolerant when someone's views don't follow right in lock-step with you, right?

As for parroting talking points ... a quick look at your posting history shows volumes & volumes of posts that "parrot" liberal websites - complete with links. No original thoughts for the most part ... just cut & pastes of other people's points of view.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default Do people understand what "open minded" means these days

No more or less so than at any time in the past.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
The sad part is that liberals don't even care about the issues that they claim to care about which is much worse than getting upset with conservative ideology. Try discussing discrimination outside of a sociology class at a liberal university. Nobody will want to hear you, acknowledge you, or discuss anything with you outside of your class discussion. Try discussing homosexuality outside of a sex education class and everybody at the "liberal" college will just blow you off or change the subject to the current status of the college football team. Try engaging people of color in discussions about people of color and most of the time they will shout out "Everybody is colorblind. Nobody has color anymore." That is how "liberal" people are. Liberals are anti-liberal unless you are dealing with individuals who have showed consistency in their behaviors to address liberal issues, provide solutions, openly befriend liberals, and stay tolerant toward conservative points of view and other opposing ideologies. Another caustic downfall of liberalism is the weak and venal leadership that you see at "liberal" universities. You see it in student organizations, you see it in the Dean of Students Office, you see it with professors, the political leaders who set bad examples of "liberalism," etc. You see weak and venal leadership everywhere you go with regard to purported "liberalism." At one of my "liberal" universities homosexuality was thought of as a youthful phase that people eventually grow out of and that homosexuality was more of an issue regarding immaturity. This is why the GLBT organization at the so-called "liberal" university that I attended kept shrinking and shrinking. The ideology was that the minorities are weak and will eventually grow out of their stupid and immature "liberal" thinking. Hence, is actually white Calvinistic conservatism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
A self-professed liberal gets mad when conservative opinions don't match her own. I thought you liberals were all about tolerance of alternative viewpoints?

You're not so tolerant when someone's views don't follow right in lock-step with you, right?

As for parroting talking points ... a quick look at your posting history shows volumes & volumes of posts that "parrot" liberal websites - complete with links. No original thoughts for the most part ... just cut & pastes of other people's points of view.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-25-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies