Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
For electric and plug-in hybrids you do. Don't hurt yourself with all those headsmacks.
First of all, electric cars are not hybrids. And second, no, you don't need a charging station for a plug-in hybrid. Don't hurt yourself with all that ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
I stand corrected on the range of hybrids (I was thinking total electric), but even then the figure claimed is very much dependent upon how you drive it.

For instance, a couple I know have one (a Toyota) and the wife claims she can get over 50 mpg with it, but her husband (who recently died) says the best he could get was similar to what he would have gotten from a 4-cylinder gasoline engine.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
I would love to own a hybrid, but with the price different, it just not worth it. It is true that it has high MPG, however it just doesn't justify the cost increase to won one. When I was looking for buy a car in the 2008 and 2009, the price different is about $6000. I asked myself, how many gallons do I have to burn before I get any benefits on the hybrid that I bought to save money. The answer is a lot. If you don't drive a lot, that probably translate close to a decade. As far as I know, most people would have replace their card before it turns 10.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First of all, electric cars are not hybrids. And second, no, you don't need a charging station for a plug-in hybrid. Don't hurt yourself with all that ignorance.
I said electric AND plug-in hybrids. And what do you think you're plugging that hybrid into? A charging station. It's kind of inherent in the name... "plug-in hybrid charging station".

Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I said electric AND plug-in hybrids. And what do you think you're plugging that hybrid into? A charging station. It's kind of inherent in the name... "plug-in hybrid charging station".
You said you were turned off by the lack of charging stations for hybrids, not for electric cars. You only added the "electric" part later. Conventional hybrids have no use for charging stations, and you don't need a "charging station" for a plug-in hybrid. You can plug it into a standard outlet from your house if you want to. And you don't even have to do that. A plug-in hybrid can still function on gasoline only.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I stand corrected on the range of hybrids (I was thinking total electric), but even then the figure claimed is very much dependent upon how you drive it.

For instance, a couple I know have one (a Toyota) and the wife claims she can get over 50 mpg with it, but her husband (who recently died) says the best he could get was similar to what he would have gotten from a 4-cylinder gasoline engine.
And if he were to drive a conventional 4-cylinder car the way he drives the hybrid, chances are he'd get even worse mileage.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You said you were turned off by the lack of charging stations for hybrids, not for electric cars. You only added the "electric" part later. Conventional hybrids have no use for charging stations, and you don't need a "charging station" for a plug-in hybrid. You can plug it into a standard outlet from your house if you want to. And you don't even have to do that. A plug-in hybrid can still function on gasoline only.
Nice try, but in my second post I did state electric and plug-in hybrids. I never claimed you couldn't recharge them at your house (which IIRC you still need to modify your standard outlet by installing charging equipment). Sure it can function on gas only, but what's the point of buying it with the hybrid electric capability if you only use gas? Duhhhhh.

Do you enjoy arguing for argument's sake?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Nice try, but in my second post I did state electric and plug-in hybrids. I never claimed you couldn't recharge them at your house (which IIRC you still need to modify your standard outlet by installing charging equipment). Sure it can function on gas only, but what's the point of buying it with the hybrid electric capability if you only use gas? Duhhhhh.
You said a lack of charging stations is why you aren't considering a hybrid. I made a simple, irrefutable counterpoint: hybrids don't need charging stations. Why you're all up in arms about that simple fact pointed out is beyond me. Furthermore, there's only one plug-in hybrid on the market right now (the Chevy Volt), so unless you were intent on buying only the Volt, there wasn't any need to even consider access to charging stations. It wasn't until I pointed that out that you suddenly changed from "hybrids" to "electric and plug-in hybrids."

And no, you don't need to modify anything to plug the Volt in. It will plug right into a standard wall socket. You only need to modify it if you want a higher voltage rating for quicker charging than your wall socket provides. But at the standard 110 volts, the Volt will fully recharge in 8 hours.

Quote:
Do you enjoy arguing for argument's sake?
You're the one that moved the goalposts from hybrids to "electric and plug-in hybrids," so ask yourself the same question.

Last edited by Drover; 11-26-2010 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I would love to own a hybrid, but with the price different, it just not worth it. It is true that it has high MPG, however it just doesn't justify the cost increase to won one. When I was looking for buy a car in the 2008 and 2009, the price different is about $6000. I asked myself, how many gallons do I have to burn before I get any benefits on the hybrid that I bought to save money. The answer is a lot. If you don't drive a lot, that probably translate close to a decade. As far as I know, most people would have replace their card before it turns 10.
I ran into the same thing when I explored installing a wind generator at my house. Assuming optimal conditions, it would have taken 20 years to recoup my investment in the start-up cost (roughly $25-30,000 for one big enough to run my house totally) and the generator itself would be defunct by then.

So, what would be the point?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

But that is hardly unique to hybrids. We can all get better gas mileage or worse gas mileage no matter what we drive depending on how we drive.

Personally, I'm getting better gas mileage now in our minivan, since I'm applying a couple of gas-saving techniques I learned on the Prius ... no jack-rabbit starts, no waiting until I'm almost at a stop sign or red light to brake, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies