Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times

Advertisements

Anyone that thinks a war on the Korean Peninsula would be a cake walk for the US and the rest of the world are clueless. Not only does NK have a significant nuclear arsenal but they also have large stockpiles of biological and chemical weapons. They might be a starving nation..........but they would do some serious damage in a war. That is why the rest of the world has sat back and done nothing the last 30 years. The US and allied powers know that NK maybe suffering economic turmoil on the inside but they are still a very formidable opponent in the short term militarily. And for all the idiots that think that a war against NK would be fought conventionally yeah right..........North Korea could turn into a guerrilla war much like Vietnam overnight. A conventional war would last a few days if that. And we know how great we are at fighting insurgents and guerilla warfare right?

North Korea maybe not give a flying fack about it's people etc.but they are not stupid. You don't become a nuclear power by being stupid. They have had 50+ years of solitary existence to plan for massive war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Also a war on the Korean peninsula would most likely be fought during the winter as this is the most advantageous time for NK and its soldiers. The US military does not do well in winter.........North Koreans live for winter. Say what you want about NKs military but the soldiers are very tough and rely on being tough...........US soldiers rely way too much on their technology and equipment.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Anyone that thinks a war on the Korean Peninsula would be a cake walk for the US and the rest of the world are clueless. Not only does NK have a significant nuclear arsenal but they also have large stockpiles of biological and chemical weapons. They might be a starving nation..........but they would do some serious damage in a war. That is why the rest of the world has sat back and done nothing the last 30 years. The US and allied powers know that NK maybe suffering economic turmoil on the inside but they are still a very formidable opponent in the short term militarily. And for all the idiots that think that a war against NK would be fought conventionally yeah right..........North Korea could turn into a guerrilla war much like Vietnam overnight. A conventional war would last a few days if that. And we know how great we are at fighting insurgents and guerilla warfare right?

North Korea maybe not give a flying fack about it's people etc.but they are not stupid. You don't become a nuclear power by being stupid. They have had 50+ years of solitary existence to plan for massive war.
I'm not saying that it would be easy, anything but. In reality, most of it would depend greatly on China. If China backed the NK's, then we'd be in for the fight of our lives. If they were neutral or helped, the war would be over much quicker.

Nothing is easy when it comes to war, but we would most definitely win. The only question is can we destroy their nuclear capability before they have a chance to launch.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Highly unlikely.

North Korea doesn't have a death wish. Unless China and the United States decides that they want to have a pseudo war, this is highly unlikely. North Korea has limited nuclear capability, that would likely be the first strikes that we would do.

North Korea is in the middle of a power change at the top. Lil' Kim's son is trying to flex some muscle to get attention. This is their normal behavior. China will step in and say "bad NK" and they'll agree to some plan that makes everyone look good, that really does nothing in the long run.

Status quo. I ask you, if a country sank a United States warship, would we not go to war with them? South Korea is listening to their handlers, North Korea is listening to theirs. Unless China and the United States decide war is good for business and the world, nothing is going to happen on the Korean peninsula.
Excellent assesment. Having been stationed there 74-75 on the DMZ I know that what the leaders in NK are doing is nothing new and the odds are this is just more typical behavior on the part of NK.
Casper

Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Excellent assesment. Having been stationed there 74-75 on the DMZ I know that what the leaders in NK are doing is nothing new and the odds are this is just more typical behavior on the part of NK.
Casper
The artillery incident a few days ago and the sinking of the NK ship were two of the most deadly incidents in 50 years. It's hardly just NK being NK. Things are different and have been escalating for a while now.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I am serious here.
What is the likelihood that we will be engaged in a war with NK in the next year??
Almost nil.

Quote:
Or, do you think this will be taken care of by China or other....?
No. Best Korea will settle down on its own.

Quote:
I am very worried as my eldest son just turned 18 in Sep.
He's not even done with HS yet, is in his last year.
So what? There is currently no draft, so why are you worried?

Quote:
So, what's y'alls opinions on this?
North Korean hot air, designed to keep their populace revved up and in favor of Uncle Kim, and Junior Kim who will take over when Uncle Kim croaks.

Quote:
Will America be involved in a full-on war with them in the next year...or not?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The artillery incident a few days ago and the sinking of the NK ship were two of the most deadly incidents in 50 years. It's hardly just NK being NK. Things are different and have been escalating for a while now.
No, things are not different. This is par for the course.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your son will be eligible for military service for about ten years, and our military-industrial economy can't afford to go that long without attacking somebody, whether it is NK or not. Make sure he has a passport and can speak Canadian.
88, you referin' to me? Not sure. First time my son dumped the sand out of his boots they made him a LT. At the rate he is moving up, it shouldn't be real long before he is Captian. Sons of rural hicks move up faster than some others i guess.

He says his squadies are taking small arms fire on each convoy, they lost a truck, have encountered IED's, and basicly the place sucks.

Not you 88, but would these whiners stop if the chosen one his self lead the battle?

88, as it is I have learned at least you are well educated. We differ most of the time but you earned some respect. mac

Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
If you look at the media with Iran and North Korea over the past months, it only portrays more and more reasons why we need to go to war with them. So I think we're being set up for war. I think it's hard to say which country, take your pick, but there will be war. I think the best indicator will be when Americans get more and more angry at our government until we lose control. That will be a perfect time to hit the war button.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Anyone who proposes war should be the first one to enlist or have their children over 17-1/2 go instead. Make sure to have a couple of body bags on hand.

I'm a Vet of WW11 and Korea. War is nothing to bolster.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I am serious here.
What is the likelihood that we will be engaged in a war with NK in the next year??
Or, do you think this will be taken care of by China or other....?
I am very worried as my eldest son just turned 18 in Sep.
He's not even done with HS yet, is in his last year.

So, what's y'alls opinions on this?
Will America be involved in a full-on war with them in the next year...or not?

Thanks.
Slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies