Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
As much as I support this (for a certain amount of time), I also recognize it's a band-aid solution to a gaping wound. Yeah, it will buy some time for some people, but it's not a solution in and of itself.

The solution as I see it is to bring back our jobs and severely tax any company who outsources and also provide the means to train people for new jobs - and even for free.

So, how come the people wanting more tiers don't focus their efforts on this as well?

I've been on an unemployment forum and all it's about is getting more tiers. Yet no one talks about getting our jobs back, taxing companies who outsource, or getting new skills.

Thoughts?

P.S. Not a republican, in favor of UI, but just wonder about long term solutions.
Just one observation -- unemployment forums have generally been focused on the assistance that is coming through legislation -- federal or local. In that regard, the majority of legislation at all levels has been aimed at extending unemployment benefits in all states -- not on significant national programs to create jobs nor to retrain people for new careers.

IMO, this is because the government mistakenly believed that the country would eventually rebound as it has in the past -- once again creating jobs in the private and public sectors with no additional impetus. Essentially, everybody woefully misjudged the depth and the length of this recession.

It's clear now that it is no longer economically feasible to keep paying unemployment benefits indefinitely. Accordingly in 2011, I expect we will see more legislation dedicated to creating jobs in addition to extending unemployment benefits -- and in turn, unemployment forums will then have much more discussion of legislation proposing retaining and jobs creation programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Yes Misty ,the tiers ARE as of today cut off , you can only finish the tier you are in. Everyone knows this by now. ( I hope

What will everyone do ? Well since your approach is going to take awhile to accomplish , I would imagine people will apply for Food Stamps , Assistance , Food Banks , But many of the 211 programs are FULL , overburdened , underfunded or no funds exist at ALL.

I can imagine a nightmare scenario unfolding....

Lets imagine the P'ublicans did not block anything , bill went to the house and senate and Obama signed the bill ( not sure if it all could have beaten todays ( Nov 27th ) deadline. But if they HAD passed everything at best people would go without a check maybe 2 weeks in ..( don't quote me on the time frame because look how long it took last time ...)

But America WANTS to work. We want to feel productive and important again and not the ROAD KILL we are being portrayed as...We want to collect our weekly paycheck and feel like a human being again.

I think everyone has had it up to here with this mess and we have to hang in there or find a cliff to jump off.....
And it breaks my heart. This is why I said I am in favor of tiers for a certain amount of time. If tiers had been available to one guy on another forum, he would not have shot himself in the head. Still makes me cry.

BUT, we need real solutions to the problem and not just a band aid approach. This is why I made this thread.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just one observation -- unemployment forums have generally been focused on the assistance that is coming through legislation -- federal or local. In that regard, the majority of legislation at all levels has been aimed at extending unemployment benefits in all states -- not on significant national programs to create jobs nor to retrain people for new careers.
Right, I know this, as I've read a lot on a major forum dedicated to extending tiers. However, without bringing our jobs back and retraining, no amount of tiers will be available for everyone who needs them for as long as they need them.

Quote:
IMO, this is because the government mistakenly believed that the country would eventually rebound as it has in the past -- once again creating jobs in the private and public sectors with no additional impetus. Essentially, everybody woefully misjudged the depth and the length of this recession.
The writing was on the wall, if one would have only read it. We could not give all our jobs away and expect to survive. This is the fault of all who did not step in to stop it.

Quote:
It's clear now that it is no longer economically feasible to keep paying unemployment benefits indefinitely. Accordingly in 2011, I expect we will see more legislation dedicated to creating jobs in addition to extending unemployment benefits -- and in turn, unemployment forums will then have much more discussion of legislation proposing retaining and jobs creation programs.
We need this NOW, not in 2011. People need to realize we have a bunch of party of NO people in office and it's time to start approaching this situation differently - and like YESTERDAY!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Understood and I empathize. But more tiers will only help for so long. At some point, we must fix the problem - which happens to be lack of jobs.

Well, I happen to blame three parties - the politicians, big business, and an apathetic population that did not either see this coming or was too busy watching American Idol to care. I knew damn well we were in deep doo doo in 2004, but I NEVER could have imagined this coming. I should have known better. But like most, I figured things would turn around once Bush was gone. However, I didn't realize the magnitude of the damage that was being done. A lot of it I either wasn't paying attention to or I wasn't smart enough to figure out.

Admittedly, over my head. Just not bright enough here to have seen it. I've never been good at math, finance or economics.

Well, I think I named the culprits above. What matters now are solutions.

No doubt about it. Problem is, companies have changed now that if you're out of work for X amount of time they perceive you as no longer employable. How to we fix this? I say free training with new skills.

Yup, no arguments in any of this. Greed is what got us into this mess and I mean many parties were greedy and were not honest. So question is - how do we fix this?

I propose that IN ADDITION to worrying about tiers, we start to do something about getting the jobs back and pushing to tax companies that outsource and seeing about retraining. Trust me, at 51 I don't want to go back to school. But if I have to, I will. I just think someone else should carry the burden of the cost.
I think when people are hungry and its 12 degrees outside as noble as * These tiers need to END * I don't think in this dismal time that you are going to find 5 million ( receiving UI benefits ) are going to shout :

"Oh my gosh , just take this weekly stipend UI Check away from me ! , I detest how I am bleeding the gov't ( or being accused of ) and just keep my weekly UI Check !. " Its not going to happen as long as humans have figured out those checks buy FOOD and warm HEAT. And they have young children they have to WORRY about "

Its funny how humans are hard wired for survival and survive they will ...

Actually as early as 2004 when I saw mortgages creeping up so high and into 2005 I suspected something was not right. I read an interesting article and still have it saved to my computer ( 2005 ) and I think we had an idea but NOBODY knew how bad this was going to get...

There are answers .

But the common people not familiar with finance and infrastucture could never have possibly known the demensions of this fiasco....

Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I think when people are hungry and its 12 degrees outside as noble as * These tiers need to END * I don't think in this dismal time that you are going to find 5 million ( receiving UI benefits ) are going to shout :

"Oh my gosh , just take this weekly stipend UI Check away from me ! , I detest how I am bleeding the gov't ( or being accused of ) and just keep my weekly UI Check !. " Its not going to happen as long as humans have figured out those checks buy FOOD and warm HEAT. And they have young children they have to WORRY about "
Hey, I happen to be a liberal. My own personal view is that if we'd STOP FIGHTING THESE DAMN WARS we'd have money to take care of our own. But then, my vote or opinion does not seem to matter to anyone. I am not advocating taking anyone's UI away, but we had better come up with a long term solution in one year's time...

Quote:
Its funny how humans are hard wired for survival and survive they will ...

Some will, some won't. If you're ever interested in Al's story, who did not survive, just PM me and I'll share.

Quote:
Actually as early as 2004 when I saw mortgages creeping up so high and into 2005 I suspected something was not right. I read an interesting article and still have it saved to my computer ( 2005 ) and I think we had an idea but NOBODY knew how bad this was going to get...

Well, then, you were ahead of me...

Quote:
There are answers .

But the common people not familiar with finance and infrastucture could never have possibly known the demensions of this fiasco....
And I agree, but the common people can now wake up and realize we need a long term solution to this problem, and it is not extending tiers UNLESS we bring our jobs back, retrain, and punish companies who outsource!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Right, I know this, as I've read a lot on a major forum dedicated to extending tiers. However, without bringing our jobs back and retraining, no amount of tiers will be available for everyone who needs them for as long as they need them.

The writing was on the wall, if one would have only read it. We could not give all our jobs away and expect to survive. This is the fault of all who did not step in to stop it.

We need this NOW, not in 2011. People need to realize we have a bunch of party of NO people in office and it's time to start approaching this situation differently - and like YESTERDAY!
My post offered an explanation for the content on most of the unemployment forums to date -- not an excuse. Your harangue is unwarranted.

In addition to having "read a lot on a major forum dedicated to extending the tiers," perhaps you should read more about the politics involved in the shifting paradigm for dealing with unemployment in this country over this extended period. You'll find those posts in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum on city-data, as political posts are generally not allowed in the "Unemployment" forum.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM

How has this season of Unemployment differed from say the 1980's period of unemployment.

The denial of the bill to help the unemployed , how common is that ?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, I happen to be a liberal. My own personal view is that if we'd STOP FIGHTING THESE DAMN WARS we'd have money to take care of our own. But then, my vote or opinion does not seem to matter to anyone. I am not advocating taking anyone's UI away, but we had better come up with a long term solution in one year's time...

Some will, some won't. If you're ever interested in Al's story, who did not survive, just PM me and I'll share.

Well, then, you were ahead of me...

And I agree, but the common people can now wake up and realize we need a long term solution to this problem, and it is not extending tiers UNLESS we bring our jobs back, retrain, and punish companies who outsource!
I know Al's story quite well. I am also a member of that forum. Great forum for getting answers to unemployment .

CD is also great for UE questions and many other subjects

Old 11-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
My post offered an explanation for the content on most of the unemployment forums to date -- not an excuse. Your harangue is unwarranted.

In addition to having "read a lot on a major forum dedicated to extending the tiers," perhaps you should read more about the politics involved in the shifting paradigm for dealing with unemployment in this country over this extended period. You'll find those posts in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum on city-data, as political posts are generally not allowed in the "Unemployment" forum.
Well, I am sorry you misinterpreted my intention and are not of thicker skin.

This thread deals with UNEMPLOYMENT and as such was posted in the unemployment section of the forum.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I know Al's story quite well. I am also a member of that forum. Great forum for getting answers to unemployment .

CD is also great for UE questions and many other subjects
Yeah, it's sad. His wife actually did post an update. Did you read it?

Such a tragic story. I still feel so bad. If only I had known...I would have had Al and family come stay with me for a bit. Perhaps he could have had better luck here. I'll never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies