Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:42 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The adverse effects due to climate change won't be resolved on CD.

Arm chair scientists can blow all the CH4 they want, but it doesn't change facts. All people have general tendencies to align themselves with like-minded thinkers, and the groups and sub-groups with whom they bond in communities.

Arguing over divisive issues like abortion, gun-control, and climate change typically won't change the oppositions mind. On a psychological level people will ascertain information differently and allow their minds to believe that which most closely fits the agenda of the culture in which they've bound themselves.

That is true of OPINIONS.

However, we have non-scientists interjecting opinion and emotional conjecture into the realm of science. We live in a world of hard data and randomized, blinded prospective studies. If a study or hypothesis does not meet the rigid scrutiny of our journals and editorial boards, it is considered CONJECTURE until proven otherwise.

What about this do liberals not understand? EVERYTHING in the world of science is considered unproven and conjecture, unless PROVEN through STRONG studies, not anecdotes. There is no room for touchy feely maybes- that is what "global warming" is.

If and when (I presume never) strong studies come out PROVING the concept of man made global warming, I will be the first to support and promote that concept. Until then, it is simply BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
False, the US has by far the largest fossil fule resources in the world by nation. It's just a matter of them becoming economical.
If we're talking about coal then yes but other wise no. Personally, I detest people like you who write completely false things and then expect them to be taken at face value by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true of OPINIONS.

However, we have non-scientists interjecting opinion and emotional conjecture into the realm of science. We live in a world of hard data and randomized, blinded prospective studies. If a study or hypothesis does not meet the rigid scrutiny of our journals and editorial boards, it is considered CONJECTURE until proven otherwise.

What about this do liberals not understand? EVERYTHING in the world of science is considered unproven and conjecture, unless PROVEN through STRONG studies, not anecdotes. There is no room for touchy feely maybes- that is what "global warming" is.

If and when (I presume never) strong studies come out PROVING the concept of man made global warming, I will be the first to support and promote that concept. Until then, it is simply BS.
What a fabulous example to illuminate my initial post. Thank you!

In science, things are not 'proven'. Results of studies are shown in probabilities.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
What 'man made' global warming?

Just because Al said it, don't make it true.

There is no man made global warming, and the trend is cooling as I type. What a bunch of hog wash.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
If we're talking about coal then yes but other wise no. Personally, I detest people like you who write completely false things and then expect them to be taken at face value by people who actually know what they're talking about.
I cited sources for the oil as well. The Green River Formation contains more than a trillion barrels of oil, that's trillion with a T. The coal resources are equal to China and Russia combined who are 2nd and 3rd on the list. We could could make diesel fuel and still meet power needs for 100 years with that resource alone. It's an astronomical amount of energy in the coal even before we start looking at other resources like the Green River Formation.

The only one here making statements and expect people to take them at face value is yourself, reference why I'm wrong.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-28-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
on a personal level, there are three things we can possibly do to stop or reverse man made global warming. they are -

giving up driving (as much as possible. I wear a backpack and bike to the store... I just make several trips a week). take busses and subways when you can.

eating as little meat and dairy as possible. basically you'll need a multivitamin, some boiled broccoli/spinach (I like to just throw them in when I boil water to cook my grains), and either a super grain like amaranth or quinoa, or brown-rice/whole-wheat-products combined with beans/nuts/seeds

and only if you really know you can afford it... solar panels. there's a nationwide 30% tax credit on all solar panels purchases, I think. If you're always going to live in your home, then it's a good investment.

1. "man made" global warming is a myth

2. vehicles (all) make up about .00001% of all possible air polution

3. eat less meat and dairy??? why so you can fart more from the broccoli???

4. solar...that's a good choce...

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I cited sources for the oil as well. The Green River Formation contains more than a trillion barrels of oil, that's trillion with a T. The coal resources are equal to China and Russia combined who are 2nd and 3rd on the list. We could could make diesel fuel and still meet power needs for 100 years with that resource alone. It's an astronomical amount of energy in the coal even before we start looking at other resources like the Green River Formation.

The only one here making statements and expect people to take them at face value is yourself, reference why I'm wrong.
Its estimated that there is 1.5 trillion barrels of shale oil in the green river formation.

However, its extremely hard to mine, would destroy large parts of land unlike coal, and unlike current oil production methods. Not to mention its not cost effective unless gasoline is over 4 dollars a gallon.

So until we go through the billions of barrels of oil that are in the gulf and around the world, while they slowly bleed us dry, then it would become cost effective. The problem would be that the Saudis would have all of our money by then, and would buy all the rights to the oil reserves, and leave the United States a former world leader.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its estimated that there is 1.5 trillion barrels of shale oil in the green river formation.

However, its extremely hard to mine, would destroy large parts of land unlike coal, and unlike current oil production methods. Not to mention its not cost effective unless gasoline is over 4 dollars a gallon.
I mentioned both the higher cost and you won't see private investment in it until conventional oil is expensive in my original post. The reference I had put the recoverable reserves at 800 billion barrels which is the important number. Trillion is just a nice round number. I don't know what the threshold is for it to be economical, I know for coal to liquid fuels they place it at 50ish a barrel range.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 PM

240 posts, read 443,030 times
Man made global warming?? I think that is one of the more pompous ideas that I have ever heard in my life. The earth has actually been in a cooling phase!! That is why the "global warming" has now changed the language to "climate change". We couldn't make this globe warmer or hotter in the long run. There is gobal warming and global cooling all the time. I call it weather!!

Here is a great link to George Carlin doing a great job of describing how much influence humans actually have on the planet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

Old 11-28-2010, 06:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
on a personal level, there are three things we can possibly do to stop or reverse man made global warming. they are -

giving up driving (as much as possible. I wear a backpack and bike to the store... I just make several trips a week). take busses and subways when you can.

eating as little meat and dairy as possible. basically you'll need a multivitamin, some boiled broccoli/spinach (I like to just throw them in when I boil water to cook my grains), and either a super grain like amaranth or quinoa, or brown-rice/whole-wheat-products combined with beans/nuts/seeds

and only if you really know you can afford it... solar panels. there's a nationwide 30% tax credit on all solar panels purchases, I think. If you're always going to live in your home, then it's a good investment.
you cannot fight something that does not exist, and man made global warming is a myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies