Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM

25 posts, read 22,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Too many people get offended by too much ....... chill out people.
The point that many atheist try to make that religion is the cause of most conflicts and wars is bs. Mankind loves to argue. No matter what they need to fight, bicker, take sides, and be right. If people arn't forming sides and groups with religion then it would be just something else. People would fight and start wars over which computer operating system is the correct and best one. The apple crowd will be tossing rocks at the Microsoft crowd or something.

10,449 posts, read 12,419,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha
It's all about hate, these people hate Christians, Muslims, Jews, pretty much anyone who believes in a religion, but especially Christians.
Is putting a cross out in front of your church or wearing a cross around your neck about hating atheists? Just because atheists want to have a voice too doesn't automatically mean they hate you. If religious people are allowed to express their views, so too should atheists. Let's do away with the double standards, shall we?

Personally I couldn't be bothered, but if other atheists want to do just the exact same thing that many religious people already do, then so be it.

37,766 posts, read 21,846,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNuts View Post
I agree with you, but they have a right to put it up there. Just as not believing in Jesus means you are going to live in a lake of fire forever and ever.

IMHO, the never ending Atheist argument that if you believe that a creater may just have created the universe than you are a bleepin idiot without reason or logic gets annoying as well. But I just ignore every religion's ideas because they are all bleepin stupid to me.
Is there is a billboard telling non Christians that they are "going to live in a lake of fire forever and ever"? Even if there was one, telling a person they will burn in a nonexistent lake of fire is silly. It would be akin to telling a Christian that he will never walk the Elysian Fields.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

25 posts, read 22,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Don't christians adamantly cling to the belief that everybody else is wrong? Are you a christian...or is there something wrong with you?
Faith also makes people act on their prejudices, often to cause suffering for others.
Anyone who notices christian behavior one can see that they delight to categorize people as 'good' or 'bad', usually based on religious beliefs.
Why can't anybody have a nice argument without insulting somebody? No, I am not a christain. I am a very well thought, intelligent person who doesnt need to put myself in any group, that included atheist.

I have met many Christians btw that are true Christians. They believe in Jesus and follow his words. They are non-judgemental, listen to people's opinions, and are very humble. They are usually kept quiet by the more vocal loud Christians who are judging people and insulting people just like many Atheist.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,739,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I'm beginning to see the atheists point of view more and more. To call a simple billboard an attack on christianity makes no sense to me when the attack was on the myth not the christians.

To the christian the story of the baby jesus is true but to the atheist the story of the baby jesus is not true and is a myth to them so what's the problem? I wonder if the problem is that they are speaking out now whereas they didn't before and that is what really bothers christians about the billboard?

I also wonder what other religions in the US think of the billboard do they think it was an attack on christianity?
Because of the illustration, I can see it being an attack against Christianity in particular. But because of the wording, I get the impression it's an attack against religion in general. Most atheists consider all religious stories myth.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM

46,816 posts, read 25,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's not where we should be as a society, calling out a specific group and disparaging them.
I must have missed the thread where you railed against church signs threatening eternal damnation.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,019,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Is there is a billboard telling non Christians that they are "going to live in a lake of fire forever and ever"?
Ask, and you shall receive....

Most of the others are more "subtle."

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,419,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
I appreciate your honesty. Your words reinforce what I've thought of Atheists all along: People who have ZERO desire to be accountable for their actions while on this Earth. Pascal's Wager......... Is it worth it to not be accountable only to find out you were wrong all along?
On the contrary, part of being an atheist means you don't get to credit everything to God or blame everything on God, but instead you get to give credit where credit is due, and blame the people or things that actually caused something to happen. That also includes taking personal responsibility for when you mess something up or when you do something well because you don't have a God you can blame/credit instead.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,857,171 times
Most atheists don't really care what others believe or do not believe. I certainly don't and I am happy enough to tolerate the religious beliefs of others provided they don't impinge on my own freedom. I do, however, find it amusing when religious people react like scalded cats when someone has the temerity to question or poke fun at their beliefs. As I said earlier, if you were secure in your faith (as I am secure in my non-faith) then it would be like water off a duck's back

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,049,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Ask, and you shall receive....

Most of the others are more "subtle."

I took a road trip from Denver to Dallas recently. I probably saw several hundred signs just like these. I was also very surprised to see that at night in cities like Oklahoma City the lights in the tallest skyscrapers are turned on in a Christian cross pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies