Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Is putting a cross out in front of your church or wearing a cross around your neck about hating atheists? Just because atheists want to have a voice too doesn't automatically mean they hate you.
You have completely missed what I was saying, and what this thread is about. Wearing a cross is no different to me then a person wearing a "49ers" sweatshirt, they are both, in their own way, just a person celebrating something they believe in or cherish.

By wearing a sweatshirt of your favorite sport, or team, you are not telling people who support other teams, or even people that do not follow sports at all, that you hate them, or that they are stupid, or ignorant for not supporting your team. Wearing a sweatshirt emblazoned with your favorite team, state, organization or even a photo of your grandchild, is not being confrontational, or for the purpose of ridiculing others. That atheist billboard is designed specifically to be confrontational, and to ridicule, so that is the concept that you are missing in this discussion.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The people who paid for the billboard were looking to target Christians to cause pain and grief, they were not simply expressing their views. They even chose to wait for the time of year with the most religious significance to Christians, before putting up their billboard.

Besides a negative political campaign ad, when have we seen other examples of a billboard like this? Have we seen billboards that are created with the express purpose of targeting a specific group of Americans and personally criticizing, demeaning or disparaging them? I can't think of one.
What do you think is the intention behind Christians who tell atheists they are going to burn in Hell? Or whenever any religious person tells anyone of another religion that they will burn in Hell/not be Saved/whatever else?

The point is that that is what you truly believe, and this is what atheists truly believe. It might feel like a personal attack, but then maybe people should start looking at themselves and realize what their OWN beliefs cause them to do to other people.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Too many people get offended by too much ....... chill out people.

In the interest of equal treatment, no controversial topics should be put out publicly. Causes way too much friction.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport

Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
That sort of stuff shows that it's not just that they "lack belief", it's that they actively work against religion. I have no idea why they care so much to fight and spend money to work against that which they don't believe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
What do you think is the intention behind Christians who tell atheists they are going to burn in Hell? Or whenever any religious person tells anyone of another religion that they will burn in Hell/not be Saved/whatever else?

The point is that that is what you truly believe, and this is what atheists truly believe. It might feel like a personal attack, but then maybe people should start looking at themselves and realize what their OWN beliefs cause them to do to other people.

Honestly? I tell people they will got to hell if they don't repent and trust Christ because I consider it the most loving thing to do. Why would I believe that you'd suffer eternally and NOT want to tell you? You guys flatter yourselves by thinking it's all about hating on you.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
In the interest of equal treatment, no controversial topics should be put out publicly. Causes way too much friction.
No people should just grow thicker skins. My free speech shouldn't be limited because someone's precious feelings get hurt.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You have completely missed what I was saying, and what this thread is about. Wearing a cross is no different to me then a person wearing a "49ers" sweatshirt, they are both, in their own way, just a person celebrating something they believe in or cherish.

By wearing a sweatshirt of your favorite sport, or team, you are not telling people who support other teams, or even people that do not follow sports at all, that you hate them, or that they are stupid, or ignorant for not supporting your team. Wearing a sweatshirt emblazoned with your favorite team, state, organization or even a photo of your grandchild, is not being confrontational, or for the purpose of ridiculing others. That atheist billboard is designed specifically to be confrontational, and to ridicule, so that is the concept that you are missing in this discussion.
We agree on the wearing of symbology bit. The only problem is--ther are billboards that are Christian-themed and confrontational. All the "if you don't believe in the same thing as me you'll burn in Hell" type billboards. All the ones with graphic images of fetuses. But no one bats an eye at those, and yet there is an uproar when some atheists do the same thing.

Double standards much?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wonder if an Atheist had a near death experience or death of a loved one if that would shake them up a bit into believing in a higher power greater than oneself?
I can actually answer that for you. Remember my atheist son that I mentioned before? 12 years ago we lost his father to cancer. A couple months ago he was injured in a hit and run incident. Thankfully his injuries were relatively minor, but that's actually beside the point. He could just as easily have been killed. Point is, despite my prayers for him, he's still an atheist. I have the feeling that he will remain an theist until the day Jesus comes back to Earth and get's right in his face about his lack of belief. And even then he might just get into a pi**ing contest with Him.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Because of the illustration, I can see it being an attack against Christianity in particular.
Maybe people will be less upset with the billboard if they see it as an attack on Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Qur'an: Sura 19
"How shall I bear a child," she answered, "when I am a virgin, untouched by man?"
"Such is the will of your Lord," he replied. "That is no difficult thing for him. "He shall be a sign to mankind," says the Lord, "and a blessing from Ourself. This is Our decree"
Thereupon she conceived him, and retired to a far-off place. And when she felt the throes of childbirth she lay down by the trunk of a palm-tree crying: "Oh would that I had died and passed into oblivion!"
But a voice from below cried out to her: "Do not despair. Your Lord has provided a brook that runs at your feet, and if you shake the trunk of this palm-tree it will drop fresh ripe dates in your lap. Therefore eat and drink and rejoice; and should you meet any mortal say to him: "I have vowed a fast to the Merciful and will not speak with any man today."
Carrying the child, she came to her people, who said to her: "Mary, this is indeed a strange thing! Sister of Aaron, your father never was a *****-monger, not was your mother a harlot
Such was Jesus, the son of Mary.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly? I tell people they will got to hell if they don't repent and trust Christ because I consider it the most loving thing to do. Why would I believe that you'd suffer eternally and NOT want to tell you? You guys flatter yourselves by thinking it's all about hating on you.
Okay, so you belittle and antagonize people for their beliefs in an attempt to open their eyes to the truth in order to hopefully convince them to change their wrong and harmful way of living. You call this love.

That's exactly what these atheists are doing. They're belittling and antagonizing people for the beliefs in an attempt to open their eyes to the truth in order to hopefully convince them to change their wrong and harmful way of living. Why isn't that also an expression of love?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Believe in nothing? That's an assumption. Most likely incorrect. I believe in myself without the 'guidance' of any supernatural mythical beings.
Atheism is not a religion, but christians have extreme difficulty to understand this.
Religion has very little positive to offer. Religion has a reputation of being very unkind (at least) to all who have different views.
Atheism could promote logic and reason, instead of superstitions which are based on nothing.
Billboards such as the one in the OP chip away at the christian ivory tower of power to which they feel divinely entitled.
It's apparent that christians regard as arrogant anyone who challenges their self-imposed ultimate authority. Of course, christians despise any challenge.
Tell that to the people who live in authoritative, atheist ruled states like Joseph Stalin's Soviet Union, Mao Zedong's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia, and others - where people were persecuted, jailed, tortured and even killed by their despotic rulers because they were caught practicing a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies