Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,185 times

Advertisements

Does the message on that billboard even begin to compare to the hate filled, bigoted billboards & placards exhibited by the Christian bigots of the Westboro baptist church?
If religious extremists can express themselves under the first amendment, then why not atheists?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Does the message on that billboard even begin to compare to the hate filled, bigoted billboards & placards exhibited by the Christian bigots of the Westboro baptist church?
If religious extremists can express themselves under the first amendment, then why not atheists?
But the bible says that homosexuality is a sin! Therefor inductive reasoning tells us that signs which say "God hates f*gs" and "God loves dead troops" are the word of God... no?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not everyone does. But plenty do.
Totally blanko? Does that mean technically dead? No pulse, no breathing?
I don't know exactly how long my heart stopped, but when I awoke my chest had burns on it where the docs had applied the BC hydro system, so that tells me they had trouble with the re-start...I realize that some have what they think are out of body experiences, but there are several theories as to what causes them.

Scientific theories of the near-death experience

Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
I would think there would be equal outrage when one walks into a store in October and sees the Christmas decorations. Why don't you mind the secular attacks to the holiday?. It is no longer a holiday towards the spiritual but based so our retailers can make it to the next year. By the time Dec 26 rolls around people are throwing their trees in the trash when they aren't even aware when the 12 days of Christmas are.
Retailers would have you believe Thanksgiving to the 25'th but in fact it is the period after the 25'th going to the 6'th of January.(Epiphany). So while the OP would believe a billboard has threatened a belief in fact people have moved away from those beliefs with their lack of understanding and practice of their faith, choosing a secular approach instead.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Let's not lean too heavily on that pedestal. Even in rationalism there can be error.

But unlike religion, rationalism doesn't make claims about being the ultimate moral arbiter or being the bedrock of truth and reality. Rationailism recognizes its limits and actively works to expand its grasp. Religion contends that all reality was completely explained by bronze age nomads thousands of years ago.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport

Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
I find it funny, especially in a country such as the US I guess atheists want to stress that not all of the US is drowning in that religious right stuff...
Since atheists don't have any churches or temples or synagogues, they have to use other means to be present.
But it doesn't really matter regarding Christmas as to a lot of people that has become just an opportunity to meet, exchange gifts etc. Even in Germany, where the majority do not believe in gods, Christmas is the most important holiday season celebrated by the vast majority of people. Mere tradition and ritual...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
It has definitely happened. I have read many books about NDE (near death experiences) and many people have become believers because of what they experienced.
Quote:
Why they were on this planet, what mistakes they made, good decisions they made, what they were supposed to do once they returned, people they have hurt, people they have helped, good deeds, bad deeds, etc.

But the most important one they learned was when they realized that the Earth is not their real home... it is merely a short time away from their real (eternal) life.
But that is illogical....those "thoughts" or feelings do not prove there's a god..

For instance....why did humans have to LEAVE their "real" home????

Even if ""eternal life" is their real home it doesn't prove who made it.

Nope, dying does strange things to a person's body and brain....not all of it real.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Why is there any commotion over this? They have as much right to their billboard ad as the christians all over the place, as well as the merchants have in foisting christmas on everyone, even those who don't celebrate it and to them, it's just another day of the week.

Yes Virginia, not everyone celebrates christmas. We don't care that YOU do, and quite frankly we don't see what the fuss is all about, and we politely nod our heads when wished a merry whasis, though we don't care, and sometimes even admire the work and dedication that goes into some of the decorations we see. But it's still just another day of the week.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
FREE SPEECH does not have to be inoffensive. Ain't freedom grand?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FREE SPEECH does not have to be inoffensive. Ain't freedom grand?
Correct. You do not have the right to not be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies