Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As someone who claims to be versed in "forum conversations", I would think your mind would be open to all news sources, not just from your limited list.. Who would cite a UK source? Someone who knew there was a recent study in the UK. Its not my fault you were unaware that these studies are done constantly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
Like I said, God, you're smart. Queen? Are you stuck back in the 80s perhaps?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If I were some of the folks on this forum I'd be looking over my shoulder because, even if they don't want to believe it, karma is a #$%%* and whistling past the graveyard doesn't keep you safe.
Ahh, what happened to that liberal love and affection for your fellow human kind? Now you are wishing harm on others..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And, BTW, why does it take a guy from SCOTLAND to demonstrate the most compassion in this thread? Americans have truly become a heartless people.
Wait, you just lectured me about posting a story from the UK, but now you are referring to individuals from Scotland..
Quote:
Well, join the club. I have known of others as well.

What none of you seem to "get" (god, americans can be so dense) is that when there is no money coming in, and you are hungry and homeless and no one will give you work, things look pretty hopeless.
Ooh we get it.. thats where you are wrong..

We get that liberal policies created a recession, we get that liberal policies have extended a recession, we get that liberal policies will not end the recession.. We also get that things look hopeless and that must suck, but guess what, life goes on, things get bad, and its when you hit rock bottom sometimes you begin to work your way back up.. If you dont then I'm sorry but thats YOUR choice..
Quote:
These people didn't go through the Great Depression. You cannot expect them to cope like those who did. And I am really GD sick of hearing from people like YOU who think that just because you had a loved one with a mental illness you have a grip on this!
What a foolish thing to say.. People who lived through the great depression didnt know what to expect nor could they cope either.. But things get bad at times and if you cant cope, tough.. Life isnt about people handing you things, and I find you sitting here preaching about how someone who ended their life because their welfare checks are expiring is sad, but those with mental illnesses not rather pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'd imagine that their behavior is the punishment, nobody could act in such a way void of humanity and compassion, and be happy. In other words, bad karma has given them quite a wallop already.
Its more common sense.. How long are you going to need government to support you? its you liberals that get on these forums day after day, trying to convince us that everything is all better now, jobs are here, and Obama has saved the world with his magical wand, and then in the very next thread you guys sit here and whine about how you need yet more welfare and that people will kill themselves if they dont get it...

good riddens. If you are that unstable that you commit suicide, you are better off saving the job position for those that are better able to think and not go postal in the work place.

Liberal apparatus, take the easy way out, asking for handouts when things get tough, and when the handouts stop, you criticize those who have been giving them, even though you've had TWO YEARS to do something about it.. Sorry, sympathy stops around 6 months, especially considering this is a liberal created recession and its not liberal policies like handouts that will end it.. This is a fact because your methods of ending recessions have NEVER worked. Not ONCE...

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Like I said, God, you're smart. Queen? Are you stuck back in the 80s perhaps?
Is that the only attempt at posting an intelligent reply available to you? FAIL!!! The song was the most appropriate one I could think of, maybe you can think of another one to reply with..

Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I'm angry and confrontational because of what I am reading in this thread - a bunch of heartless and ignorant Americans don't give a damn about the less fortunate.
What? You got 99 weeks of checks, welfare most likely, including food stamps, health care, (medicaid) some get housing, utility assistance, phone bills etc.. What else do you want? Sounds pretty greedy if you ask me!!

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: the quote you replied to has been removed

Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why should your problem, be my problem?

Why even try to make your problem, my problem?

Now your forcing me, for it to be now my problem and not yours?

I am not obligated to you in any way, what so ever. I have a heart and I use to have a choice.
You, are responsible for you. I am not.
Blame everyone, except the person looking at you in the mirror.
Yet another example of heartlessness and why, we, as a nation are screwed.

Look, I don't need your help. I wouldn't trust your problem solving abilities more than I'd trust a used car salesman. So don't flatter yourself.

I am just fine. I worry about those who are not.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I am just sitting here with tears streaming down my face. This is the SECOND suicide since end of July I've had to read about. I am sure there are many more. If this is not the appropriate forum in which to post, please move...

A tragic Thanksgiving letter from one valiant 99er who gives up hope - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com

I am just so incredibly sad and ANGRY with anyone who would say these poor people don't need help. ********** country and ********** government and screw capitalism!
Unfortunately my adult-onset ADD prevented me from slogging through the entire article. However, I did not see the part where he gets up every morning at 6 am and knocks on every business door in town asking if he could wash their windows or sweep their floors or clean their restrooms. I didn't see the part where he applies for a job as dishwasher in every restaurant in town or housekeep at every hotel.

I missed the part where he goes to every bar after closing time and asks them if he can help clean up or even carry out the "empties" in exchange for the aluminum cans that he can recycle. I didn't see where he applied as "cart associate" at every Walmart within 100 miles of where he lives. I must have overlooked the part where he applied to work in a residential facility for mentally challenged adults.

What I did see was someone who was so self-absorbed that he does not have "any family or any friends", who is content to live off the charity of others and who uses his age, his sexual preferences and "medical conditions" as an excuse to ultimately kill himself because he does not have enough intestinal fortitude to DO SOMETHING about his situation. It was easier just to die.

You're right, that is incredibly sad. PS we are NOT the government's responsibility. We are OUR responsibility. Apparently, he let himself down.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Well, this thread certainly did generate interest. I think the consensus is in. We had ONE guy from a foreign country with a heart. We had a couple Americans who seemed to "get it." The rest of you just exemplify why we are going down.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: off topioc

Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Let me ask you a question, is there another country in the world granting 99 weeks of unemployment? Looks like you found your choice location to move to if you answer yes.. You are free by the way to move anywhere you want.. Enjoy your trip..

What? You got 99 weeks of checks, welfare most likely, including food stamps, health care, (medicaid) some get housing, utility assistance, phone bills etc.. What else do you want? Sounds pretty greedy if you ask me!!
I'm not aware of any time limit for unemployment benefits in Australia.

Then again, we didnt really feel the full brunt of this recession. Our government actually governed in the past 8 years

Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I'm not aware of any time limit for unemployment benefits in Australia.

Then again, we didnt really feel the full brunt of this recession. Our government actually governed in the past 8 years
Actually Australia does indeed have a limit.. kind of...
If you dont find work in 6-12 months you sometimes have to show up to do work.. Here in america you dont.. they simply send you a check month after month...

Unemployed people aged 21 to 34 who have been receiving a newstart allowance for six to 12 months can be obliged to do work experience, mainly on local projects or in community service. They receive an extra $20.80 per fortnight.

Australia Guide: Unemployment Benefit, Getting money when you loose your job: Australia

I've said for a very long time that we need to make people work for their welfare check, but it wont happen because we get people on webforums crying because they have children to take care of, etc..

Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Yet another example of heartlessness and why, we, as a nation are screwed.

Look, I don't need your help. I wouldn't trust your problem solving abilities more than I'd trust a used car salesman. So don't flatter yourself.

I am just fine. I worry about those who are not.

How is that my problem?

Your problem, is not my problem.

They need to set their own destiny, instead of thinking someone else is going to take care of them? I set my own destiny. It was my choice. Everybody has one. Some make good choices, some make bad choices.

Don't make your problem, mine.
I'm not obligated to you in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies