Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'm angry and confrontational because of what I am reading in this thread - a bunch of heartless and ignorant Americans don't give a damn about the less fortunate.
I don't care WHY you're so angry.

As for me being heartless, why do you say that? Is it because I'm not crying with you? I don't have "tears streaming down my face" so I'm a cruel bastard?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: the quote you replied to has been removed

Old 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually Australia does indeed have a limit.. kind of...
If you dont find work in 6-12 months you sometimes have to show up to do work.. Here in america you dont.. they simply send you a check month after month...

Unemployed people aged 21 to 34 who have been receiving a newstart allowance for six to 12 months can be obliged to do work experience, mainly on local projects or in community service. They receive an extra $20.80 per fortnight.

Australia Guide: Unemployment Benefit, Getting money when you loose your job: Australia

I've said for a very long time that we need to make people work for their welfare check, but it wont happen because we get people on webforums crying because they have children to take care of, etc..
yes, I know.. Its called work for the dole.

They are required to do community work. The upside of this, is they are still contributing and feel that they are contributing and receiving money

There is no time limit on receiving those benefits.

It is one thing thinking that those on unemployment should do some community work for the benefit, and another to have no compassion nor understanding of other people's situation. The latter has been displayed here.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Well, this thread certainly did generate interest. I think the consensus is in. We had ONE guy from a foreign country with a heart. We had a couple Americans who seemed to "get it." The rest of you just exemplify why we are going down.
On the contrary mistygrl092, I will gladly help them get a job, but I am not going to let them suck of my teat. They must step up to the plate and take responsibility for themselves. I will give them a hand-up, but not a hand-out.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: the quote you replied to has been removed

Old 11-28-2010, 10:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
yes, I know.. Its called work for the dole.

They are required to do community work. The upside of this, is they are still contributing and feel that they are contributing and receiving money

There is no time limit on receiving those benefits.

It is one thing thinking that those on unemployment should do some community work for the benefit, and another to have no compassion nor understanding of other people's situation. The latter has been displayed here.
here we need some sort of program like you have.. work for your check, work for your food stamps, work for your medical benefits etc..

We have gone from a nation where welfare meant a block of cheese, a can of peanutbutter, and powdered milk, to the government maintaining peoples lively hood. They pay for housing, utilities, food, healthcare, even household repairs, windows, new furnaces, insulating individuals homes, phone bills, (even cell phones), some get their cars repaired, day care services, and even computers, etc... in a matter of 20 years its grown to this and I really wonder where people want it to be 20 years from now because now we're being told that isnt enough and people need even more, and if you dont give it to them, you get called all sorts of names from people like the OP. It makes me wonder where we went so wrong so fast as a nation...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A lot of statistics for a (supposed) suicide note. That, and I tend to not believe things that start with: "The following letter from a desperate and hopeless 99er named Mark was sent to me by another hard working 99er, Bud Meyers. Mark's contact information is not yet available."

I'm calling BS.
Perhaps it is, and perhaps there are many more stories unreported. Tough love meted out through unemployment policies applies to these guys too... Civilian soldiers’ suicide rate alarming - Arizona News from USA Today (http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-news/2010/11/25/civilian-soldiers-suicide-rate-alarming/ - broken link)
Quote:
The reason for the rise in suicides among these “citizen soldiers” is not known. It may be linked to the recession, says Army Col. Chris Philbrick, deputy commander of an Army task force working to reduce suicides.

Philbrick said investigations into the suicides of soldiers not on full-time-active status have found that some were facing stressful situations such as home foreclosures, debt and the loss of a job.
What are you going to tell them? They made their own bed, now lie in it?

These people aren't fictional characters in a sims game running in your heads...
Middle-aged suicides on rise in U.S., study finds | Reuters

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like they have a chip on their shoulder and are out to draw first blood, if they don't get their unemployment check.
See, this is what I mean. I have not drawn ANY UI. My house is paid for, car is paid for, credit card debt is paid for, I have money in the bank. In fact, I could buy another house for cash if I wanted to, but I don't want to, as I see what is coming down the pike.

The truth *is*, most likely I am better off than most of YOU! That still doesn't mean I devolved into some slimeball American who doesn't care about others.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
See, this is what I mean. I have not drawn ANY UI. My house is paid for, car is paid for, credit card debt is paid for, I have money in the bank. In fact, I could buy another house for cash if I wanted to, but I don't want to, as I see what is coming down the pike.

The truth *is*, most likely I am better off than most of YOU! That still doesn't mean I devolved into some slimeball American who doesn't care about others.
Thats just fantastic.. had you written out a check to the individual in the story, maybe you wouldnt be here balling now because they committed suicide. Maybe YOU should have saved his life...
Quote:
Shocker of all shockers, I LIVE in Arizona. Do you not folllow the press at all?
Whats that have to do with anything? People in Arizona dont commit suicide?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you a question, is there another country in the world granting 99 weeks of unemployment? Looks like you found your choice location to move to if you answer yes.. You are free by the way to move anywhere you want.. Enjoy your trip..

What? You got 99 weeks of checks, welfare most likely, including food stamps, health care, (medicaid) some get housing, utility assistance, phone bills etc.. What else do you want? Sounds pretty greedy if you ask me!!
#1, I have collected zero weeks of UI. #2, I have never rec'd welfare, #3 no food stamps, #4, I pay $1200 a month for health insurance,#5 No utility assistance or any help with phone bills.

How greedy is this? I pay for EVERYTHING myself. See how lame you are?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Thats just fantastic.. had you written out a check to the individual in the story, maybe you wouldnt be here balling now because they committed suicide. Maybe YOU should have saved his life...

Whats that have to do with anything? People in Arizona dont commit suicide?
Well, considering I only found out about it after the fact, that would have been a trick. And poeple kill themselves all over the country.

Will YOU PLEASE ask some intelligent questions before I am FORCED to REALLY put you on ignore?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
#1, I have collected zero weeks of UI. #2, I have never rec'd welfare, #3 no food stamps, #4, I pay $1200 a month for health insurance,#5 No utility assistance or any help with phone bills.

How greedy is this? I pay for EVERYTHING myself. See how lame you are?
Obviously you didnt pay for the man in question but then you come here badmouthing us because we didnt either.. Dont even begin to list your bills to me because truthfully I dont care. If I was to list mine you wouldnt believe me anyways. ONE mortgage I have is $25,000 a month for example.. But lets see, who's lamer.. one who runs around calling others lame, or those who say they are putting others on ignore, and then respond to them anyways...

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies