Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,587,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
We hear that statement a lot "Their own people' its an apologist statement IMO Were the IRA blowing up their people?
are Middle Easterners blowing up their own people?
French ,English ,Germans,Russians, all killed each other. Africa, just like Eroupe is a continent inhabited by people who may feel they have nothing in common with each other either.
Wow! You missed the whole point of my comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Wow! You missed the whole point of my comment!
forgive me for digressing but, Africans were not sold into slavery by "their own people" that is my point, They could be as diffrent from each other as a Canadian and a Mexican. The fact that they are both dark skinned dosen't make them anymore a like.
More specific to your point,what was happening in Africa was Its eventual distruction by the Western World .

Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
forgive me for digressing but, Africans were not sold into slavery by "their own people" that is my point, They could be as diffrent from each other as a Canadian and a Mexican. The fact that they are both dark skinned dosen't make them anymore a like.
More specific to your point,what was happening in Africa was Its eventual distruction by the Western World .
Always someone else to blame.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM

134 posts, read 126,875 times
Quote:
Who gave the africans into slavery? Was it not their own people?
What an ignorant thing to say. Africa is a land of many cultures and tribes. It was enemy tribes who captured one another to be sold into slavery. These were not "their own people" as you say. Same as with the differences in cultures with Japanese and Indian people. Yes, they live on the same continent but the cultures are very, very different. You should have learned this in 6th grade history class.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
What an ignorant thing to say. Africa is a land of many cultures and tribes. It was enemy tribes who captured one another to be sold into slavery. These were not "their own people" as you say. Same as with the differences in cultures with Japanese and Indian people. Yes, they live on the same continent but the cultures are very, very different. You should have learned this in 6th grade history class.
Keep drinking your kool-aide

Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 AM

134 posts, read 126,875 times
Quote:
Keep drinking your kool-aide
Typical response. You just do not want to admit that you are wrong.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
Typical response. You just do not want to admit that you are wrong.
I am never wrong!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,934,937 times
If freeing slaves was the primary objective of the civil war, then where were the programs? Even back in the 1860s, there would have been some type of plan in place - for education, housing, jobs, etc. There weren't any. Because freeing the slaves was a tactic, not an objective.

Read pieces about the south written 60+ years ago. Then read one written in the past 30-40 years. You'll find that the more recent books portray slavery as something almost EVERYONE wanted to end, something abhorred by the majority. But in the older books, written before revisionist history was taught, when most people learned of the Civil War from those who were alive when it happened.

I get what stayinformed meant - white American plantation owners were not dragging African kings and queens out of the jungle. They were purchasing those who were already slaves, or those who were captured and being held to be sold as slaves by and/or from other Africans, sometimes pirates. But that doesn't fit into the 'give me money because you enslaved my ancestors' mentality. The reparations stuff always makes me angry.

For instance - why should MY tax dollars pay for you to receive money because your ancestors suffered? Most of my ancestors weren't here in America, and those who were never owned slaves. In addition, I think you should have to PROVE they were slaves before CLAIMING your ancestors were slaves. I worked with a lady in Michigan in the 90s, very into the African 'thing', attended 'reparation' rallies. Her brother was attempting to do their genealogy. Imagine her shock when she discovered her maternal great grandparents came here, together, as free people in the early 1910s. From Britain. Her father's family was Jamaican - her parents met shortly after he'd emigrated here.

I liked this woman. We'd been out to drinks together, spent several lunch hours together, shared life stories. But her previous self righteous behavior earned her every millimeter of the smirk I couldn't hold back when I heard it.

Another woman in our office used to hate her though and when SHE learned about it, she was LOUD about it - she was actually from South Africa - and had NO RESPECT for the black people here calling themselves 'African-Americans'.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,985,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

I get what stayinformed meant - white American plantation owners were not dragging African kings and queens out of the jungle. They were purchasing those who were already slaves, or those who were captured and being held to be sold as slaves by and/or from other Africans, sometimes pirates. But that doesn't fit into the 'give me money because you enslaved my ancestors' mentality. The reparations stuff always makes me angry.

Another woman in our office used to hate her though and when SHE learned about it, she was LOUD about it - she was actually from South Africa - and had NO RESPECT for the black people here calling themselves 'African-Americans'.
The kind of slavery practiced in the united states was quite different from what the slave traders, who captured and sold slaves, had anticipated.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,985,738 times
Quote:
I am never wrong!
Lol, I highly doubt that. C'mon, you are from the south east, nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies