Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM

957 posts, read 2,611,075 times

Advertisements

An excerpt from a letter to the editor of the Spartanburg, SC newspaper. Yesterday.

"The Southern people did not deserve to be treated as horribly as they were, but because of a greedy, corrupt and fanatical segment up North and the influence it had on Washington, we went through a terrible war. Sherman's March was a holocaust against the South. I do celebrate and am proud of my Southern heritage, culture and the brave Southerners who fought against this invasion from the North."

Now that's clueless, and that's par for the course down here. So many of them want to justify slavery, and some are still fighting the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,008,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
An excerpt from a letter to the editor of the Spartanburg, SC newspaper. Yesterday.

"The Southern people did not deserve to be treated as horribly as they were, but because of a greedy, corrupt and fanatical segment up North and the influence it had on Washington, we went through a terrible war. Sherman's March was a holocaust against the South. I do celebrate and am proud of my Southern heritage, culture and the brave Southerners who fought against this invasion from the North."

Now that's clueless, and that's par for the course down here. So many of them want to justify slavery, and some are still fighting the war.
Yea, that Sherman really knew how to throw a good barbeque, didn't he? LMAO! Wish i could've been there.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you believe that the richest Americans are purposely keeping you poor?

I believe that economic policies have lead to wealth pool to the richest Americans, but to say that it was done on purpose to keep you down is a little irrational.

The poverty cycle has been going on forever all over the world. When you're poor its harder to get an education, its harder for you to invest when you have little to nothing to invest. But I've never once seen a law that said "If you are only making 10 dollars an hour, you can never earn more than 15 dollars an hour in your lifetime".
No. I have no problem with where I'm at financially. My reference was to those people who actually hold power and authority over others, which rankles me. No one deserves to hold authority over any other person.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM

46,762 posts, read 25,696,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And so I say, I'd rather be a Civil War era slave, and be treated as an asset, treated with respect, valued for my contribution.
Sure you would.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Why would I lie about it?

Like I said, at least I'd be valued and respected.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM

177 posts, read 272,728 times
Quote:
Why would I lie about it?

Like I said, at least I'd be valued and respected.

On a honest level I wish there were other ways that slavery could have ended and shermans response was brutal.

but certainly being from the south, you could see that the plantation elite treated the slaves with the type of barbarity that really isn't that far away from nazism. Certainly the slaves weren't treated well if soo many escaped from the south by the underground railroad in the 1850;s.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post

The Southerners should stop complaining and begin the project to re-create the Confederacy. This time the North should say 'good riddance'.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
On a honest level I wish there were other ways that slavery could have ended and shermans response was brutal.

but certainly being from the south, you could see that the plantation elite treated the slaves with the type of barbarity that really isn't that far away from nazism. Certainly the slaves weren't treated well if soo many escaped from the south by the underground railroad in the 1850;s.
I disagree.

Plenty of people will leave even when treated well. It's part of some human's nature to never be satisfied with what they have, and it's a failing of those humans.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM

177 posts, read 272,728 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Plenty of people will leave even when treated well. It's part of some human's nature to never be satisfied with what they have, and it's a failing of those humans.
"Eugene Genovese, in his comprehensive study of slavery, Roll, Jordan, Roll, sees a record of "simultaneous accommodation and resistance to slavery." The resistance included stealing property, sabotage and slowness, killing overseers and masters, burning down plantation buildings, running away. Even the accommodation "breathed a critical spirit and disguised subversive actions." Most of this resistance, Genovese stresses, fell short of organized insurrection, but its significance for masters and slaves was enormous.

Running away was much more realistic than armed insurrection. During the 1850s about a thousand slaves a year escaped into the North, Canada, and Mexico. Thousands ran away for short periods. And this despite the terror facing the runaway. The dogs used in tracking fugitives "bit, tore, mutilated, and if not pulled off in time, killed their prey," Genovese says." - A peoples history of the United States - Howard Zinn

Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
"Eugene Genovese, in his comprehensive study of slavery, Roll, Jordan, Roll, sees a record of "simultaneous accommodation and resistance to slavery." The resistance included stealing property, sabotage and slowness, killing overseers and masters, burning down plantation buildings, running away. Even the accommodation "breathed a critical spirit and disguised subversive actions." Most of this resistance, Genovese stresses, fell short of organized insurrection, but its significance for masters and slaves was enormous.

Running away was much more realistic than armed insurrection. During the 1850s about a thousand slaves a year escaped into the North, Canada, and Mexico. Thousands ran away for short periods. And this despite the terror facing the runaway. The dogs used in tracking fugitives "bit, tore, mutilated, and if not pulled off in time, killed their prey," Genovese says." - A peoples history of the United States - Howard Zinn
And in Vietnam, some soldiers fragged their superiors, and some avoided the draft altogether. (I think I recall that Duane Allman shot himself, or had someone else shoot him, in the foot to avoid serving).

Does that mean that they were "mistreated"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies