Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You're right I am, just as everybody is entitled to their right to vote.
That's your opinion and I respect it.

Quote:
For all this talk about keeping government out of personal lives, you sure seem fine with it when it suits your fantasies about how we should run this country.
I prefer an objective litmus test to prove that a person will be educated enough to know the consequences of voting away others' rights. It seems fair considering that we don't live in a democracy.

Quote:
Anyway, your collective wet dream will never happen, maybe you'd be more at home in a place like Iran?
Iran does not utilize the method I'm suggesting. I would never advocate for a litmus test based on religious, ethnic, or other intractable criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
Why dosent he just say whats really on his mind that only white males should be allowed to vote?
and they have to be 50 and above and can only vote republican.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
People who don't pay any federal income taxes should not be allowed to vote in the general election.
That would include many that are/were in Iraq or Afghanistan as they came home disabled. Yes, wouldn't that be nice.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Post moved to Political Forum...

There are already measures pertaining to property tax that require property ownership as a condition to cast your vote.

I live in Oakland and there was one a few years ago where only property owners in the city were eligible to cast votes... other States have similar measures.

That just doesn't pass the realiability check. Everyone in this country that is an American has the right to vote. Felons can't vote, but even people who are homeless can register to vote.

Any city, municipality, or state that tried to pass a law as what you speak of would be taken to court.

Do you have any reliable references?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I remember learning in American history that you had to be a property owner to vote.I could be wrong but that just came to my memory
Yes, in some places, prior to 1850. Been a while.

U.S. Voting Rights

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, in some places, prior to 1850. Been a while.

U.S. Voting Rights
And the result was frequent rebellion, rioting, and considerable social disorder. One example being the Dorr Rebellion of 1842 in which advocates of universal manhood suffrage came close to a state level coup d'etat in Rhode Island and if they had been able to capture the official state militia's armory would have overthrown the state government. It made sense to expand the franchise.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That would include many that are/were in Iraq or Afghanistan as they came home disabled. Yes, wouldn't that be nice.
Democrats have just about eliminated every chance that our servicemen get to vote already, how would this be any different?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Why dosent he just say whats really on his mind that only white males should be allowed to vote?
8 homes around mine are all female homeowners of varying ages and ethnicities. Feel free to cut up both your race and gender cards.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
It's silly how a lot of people think that renters are poor and uneducated. In fact, many wealthy Americans are choosing to rent because they no longer trust the housing market.

News Headlines

“More affluent Americans are opting to rent as oppose to buy,” says Jack McCabe, an independent real estate analyst and CEO of McCabe Research and Consulting in Deerfield Beach, Fla. “Within the last year, so many people have seen their family and friends get burned in real estate. They don’t see it as being a risk free investment as they used to.”

In the article posted above, there are examples of people renting from all over the U.S. Even businessmen who would rather invest in their business than worry about paying for a house whose value may go down.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The entire notion that we ban certain groups from voting in this country is not only ludicrous but un-American at it's core.

No wonder the tea party and associated zealots love it so much.
The Conservative Movement in America is based on the perception that some people in this country are "More American" then other people. The subject of this thread is a perfect example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies