Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,419,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just read that Wikileaks has started mass mirroring today, and they got much more help than expected. Now their content is all but impossible to remove from the Internet. There are lots of copies on servers around the world, similar to P2P networks.
There are journalists and others all around the world backing this guy up.
Maybe none in the US but plenty around the world.

Yes..the floodgates have been opened and there is no turning back.
Dang though..got to wait on that bankster leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,582,931 times
Quote:
I just read that Wikileaks has started mass mirroring today, and they got much more help than expected. Now their content is all but impossible to remove from or block on the Internet. There are lots of copies on servers around the world, similar to P2P networks.
Yup, and I will be the first to admit, I've granted them one of my secure servers that I use for security testing as a safehaven, as well. Good luck to the government cracking THAT box. It'll take a damn sight more than some DDOS attack to touch it - that machine fights back. They'll have to physically go to my hosting location and remove the actual blade, because they sure as hell aren't getting in through methods their people know how to use. And I'm reasonably certain the Belizan government won't authorize such a seizure request, seeing as how there's no cooperation treatice between the two countries. Granted, that box is slow as hell because of all the layers of security in front of it (an IPS, 2 ASA's, an ISA, a maze of honey pots and dead ends, and a couple of other surprises), but it will load and forward, which is all it needs to do.

Though I guess this means I'll never be able to get a security clearance now. Aw, shucks.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,982,138 times
Wink Properly unclassified

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
- Abraham Lincoln

To the best of my knowledge all the recent State Department cables WikiLeaks disclosed were marked 'classified,' no higher designation, such as top secret. As I mentioned previously, Mr Assange twice offered the State Department the chance to redact sensitive names, etc. from these cables prior to release. When this refused, WikiLeaks redacted some information itself, prior to public release.

Something that caught my attention in a recent article in 'The Atlantic,' by David Samuels, is how much information our government deems non-public. To wit:

"The 250,000 cables that Wikileaks published this month represent only a drop in the bucket that holds the estimated 16 million documents that are classified top secret by the federal government every year." [1]

16 million documents every year is a lot of something, and only the tip of the iceberg as it does not cover higher security classifications, or lower levels, such as 'classified.' As an American citizen, even in acknowledging the need for secrecy is some aspects of government, or anyone's life, yet the troubling feeling that our government is far less transparent than it should be. This feeling reinforced when information of its wrong doing surfaces, or of the many 'secrets' kept which should have been publicly known and discussed, this being a democracy in principle.

1) 'The Shameful Attacks on Julian Assange,' The Atlantic
The Shameful Attacks on Julian Assange - David Samuels - International - The Atlantic

Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,722,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yup, and I will be the first to admit, I've granted them one of my secure servers that I use for security testing as a safehaven, as well. Good luck to the government cracking THAT box. It'll take a damn sight more than some DDOS attack to touch it - that machine fights back. They'll have to physically go to my hosting location and remove the actual blade, because they sure as hell aren't getting in through methods their people know how to use. And I'm reasonably certain the Belizan government won't authorize such a seizure request, seeing as how there's no cooperation treatice between the two countries. Granted, that box is slow as hell because of all the layers of security in front of it (an IPS, 2 ASA's, an ISA, a maze of honey pots and dead ends, and a couple of other surprises), but it will load and forward, which is all it needs to do.

Though I guess this means I'll never be able to get a security clearance now. Aw, shucks.
I wouldn't write that here, frankly. I am sure CD is being watched...

Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,817,280 times
Quote:
While I agree that these latest cables were not nearly as controversial as what has previously been released, there were some good nuggets in there.

There's Hillary Clinton telling ambassadors and diplomats to violate international law by attempting to steal passwords and biometrics from other diplomats. And there is definitive proof that the little barking chihuahua in the Middle East (Israel) effectively tried lying to the US in order to get them to bomb Iran.
and proof that Saudi wants Iran bombed.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,582,931 times
Quote:
I wouldn't write that here, frankly. I am sure CD is being watched...
A) I'm sure it is
B) I'm sure the government already knows, since that IP address for the box is registered to me and
C) I'm sure that I don't give a damn. I've got a number of things going for me that I won't list here for a number of reasons, but I'm exactly the type of person that government doesn't want to use as a public spectacle due to some ties/connections that necessitate turning a blind eye to things I may take up.

There's one other very important thing to consider, that the government is jsut now starting to realize (per their "warning" to the college graduates about linking articles about Wikileaks possibly getting them blackballed for jobs): This isn't about Assange anymore. Assange is the face, yes, but this is much bigger than him at this point. This is officially a full-out movement. If they take down Assange, 5 more people will take his place. People are starting to become interested, and the more government threatens to crack down on anyone who reads what gets published, the more people become interested. And their attempts to squelch Wikileaks through illegal methods (laws the US itself wrote, for that matter) have resulted in this whole thing drawing the attention of the hacker community, which is the exact group of people the US *doesn't* want interested in this. We're always 3 steps ahead of the government, the RIAA, the MPAA, etc.

They seize servers (Piratebay, etc.)? We decentralize. They seize domains and threaten to block DNS? We start coming up with a new DNS standard that can't be controlled. They try to attack sites to break them down? Spread the sites around.

The government is in a no-win here. Their options consist of 1) Let it all continue unabated 2) Result to Orwellian tactics to squelch it, and wake a conditioned and agitated populace, 3) Admit they are doing things they shouldn't be doing, and vow to change those practices. We all know they won't do 3, and 2 is very dangerous territory

Old 12-05-2010, 01:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,207,519 times
I'd like to see the Wikileaks doomsday file. People, agencies, governments, armies and others would do well to stop espionage and control manipulations. And the associated fraud needs to be exposed.

I learned long ago that if something is created in a discernible format then it's sure as hell not a secret.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,175,809 times
From an interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Cpb...eature=related

Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,752,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Wikileaks=Freedom of Speech...sorry bout that.
Gotta agree!

I want it all out. Let the chips fall where they may...

Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,745,181 times
Quote:
A) I'm sure it is
B) I'm sure the government already knows, since that IP address for the box is registered to me and
C) I'm sure that I don't give a damn. I've got a number of things going for me that I won't list here for a number of reasons, but I'm exactly the type of person that government doesn't want to use as a public spectacle due to some ties/connections that necessitate turning a blind eye to things I may take up.

There's one other very important thing to consider, that the government is jsut now starting to realize (per their "warning" to the college graduates about linking articles about Wikileaks possibly getting them blackballed for jobs): This isn't about Assange anymore. Assange is the face, yes, but this is much bigger than him at this point. This is officially a full-out movement. If they take down Assange, 5 more people will take his place. People are starting to become interested, and the more government threatens to crack down on anyone who reads what gets published, the more people become interested. And their attempts to squelch Wikileaks through illegal methods (laws the US itself wrote, for that matter) have resulted in this whole thing drawing the attention of the hacker community, which is the exact group of people the US *doesn't* want interested in this. We're always 3 steps ahead of the government, the RIAA, the MPAA, etc.

They seize servers (Piratebay, etc.)? We decentralize. They seize domains and threaten to block DNS? We start coming up with a new DNS standard that can't be controlled. They try to attack sites to break them down? Spread the sites around.

The government is in a no-win here. Their options consist of 1) Let it all continue unabated 2) Result to Orwellian tactics to squelch it, and wake a conditioned and agitated populace, 3) Admit they are doing things they shouldn't be doing, and vow to change those practices. We all know they won't do 3, and 2 is very dangerous territory
I agree with your assessment fully. This is about much much more than Assange. It is about the government and big business trying to tame the very animal they created called the internet which has become a sort of wild west frontier that nobody can seem to tame.
First was the RIAA and that failed pretty miserably- not that they have completely caved yet- but the fact is that they have lost. And as soon as higher speeds get more common, the same thing will happen with movies. They can knock down a site and 5 minutes later it is back up somewhere else. They had some success with on line gambling but only because they effected the money going the other way- not the site itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies