Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
It is the same sense of responsibility. The black & white areas only become grey when we consider the wing insistence that there should be no birth control or the left wing insistence that if it feels good do it, that's why we have doctors! . Well...sorry folks...you can't use that as a reason to remove yourself from responsibility for your own actions. Well they said it didn't matter if i use a condom or the pill or not it was still wrong...so what the hell I decided to be all wrong. give me a break!!! Geez..this is liberal SQUAT!

The ONLY 100% form of birth control is abstinence and if you believe that's happening in the real world I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 PM

467 posts, read 324,723 times
I understand your point, but it could be said also that Republicans don't REALLY want Roe overturned because then they would only have gays and guns on the platform. Voters turn out for the abortion issue in numbers they never would for taxes or guns. You might still have enough homophobes in the party to get a few Republicans elected in states like Wyoming, Utah, etc, but it would really be risky to take away that pillar in your platform.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM

345 posts, read 203,430 times
Toninole, that is the biggest b.s. statement you ever posted and shows your predjudices and lack of knowledge of conservative beliefs. In fact, I don't even think they are conservative beliefs they are common sense beliefs. It is not some form of conservative platform that makes me see things the way I do it is my life experience and observation and sense of reason.
-abortion is wrong because it takes a life that has every right to be an American citizen with the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. Liberals will march and raise three kinds of hell for the Mexican that just crossed the border and you are likely as not to support for generations.Moreover, it is just plain wrong. It isn't political, -murder is wrong.
If we are happy with killing the unborn, why not the aged. Why not, ...o.k. your 65 or say 75,... everybody knows, you're not what you used to be, so instead of waiting out the natural progression of death, let's just whack everyone at 75. God, don't let Hillary read this it could be part of the new health care package.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM

467 posts, read 324,723 times
Quote:
Toninole, that is the biggest b.s. statement you ever posted and shows your predjudices and lack of knowledge of conservative beliefs. In fact, I don't even think they are conservative beliefs they are common sense beliefs. It is not some form of conservative platform that makes me see things the way I do it is my life experience and observation and sense of reason.
-abortion is wrong because it takes a life that has every right to be an American citizen with the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. Liberals will march and raise three kinds of hell for the Mexican that just crossed the border and you are likely as not to support for generations.Moreover, it is just plain wrong. It isn't political, -murder is wrong.
If we are happy with killing the unborn, why not the aged. Why not, ...o.k. your 65 or say 75,... everybody knows, you're not what you used to be, so instead of waiting out the natural progression of death, let's just whack everyone at 75. God, don't let Hillary read this it could be part of the new health care package.
Kaintuck:
I wasn't talking about your ideology or personal views. I'm not passing judgment on "conservative beliefs", but rather stating that the issue is what drives your voters to the polls in great numbers.

I was making the point that from a political action point of view - abortion is THE big issue that gets out the conservative base of voters.

If you get rid of Roe v Wade - what will the conservative base turn out for? Ever wonder why you don't hear anything (like right now) about gay marriage, but when the election comes up it is all over the news? Do you think that is coincidence? Same goes for Roe. It works to the advantage of conservatives to keep the law in place. You don't have to agree with that, but it is what it is.

I get the blah blah blah about taking a life. I just don't agree with it. Neither do other liberal voters. We disagree. I think you have every right to your opinion just like I do.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Please reread my post...and reread...and reread...and reread.
It wasn't actually worth the time on the first go-around. Free-floating feelings. Fine for you. Let your conscience be your guide. But it's of no relevance at all to me.

Quote:
There are simple, sound, non religious, common since reasons why abortion is wrong and the simple answer is individual responsibility.
I know rather a number of women who have faced an unwanted pregnancy. Some chose to terminate the pregnancy. Some chose to carry to term. None of them, n-o-n-e, exhibited any sort of shortfall in terms of individual responsibility.

Quote:
It is like saying. I knew it was wrong to rob a bank, but, gee, I needed the money, I didn't expect to get caught, it just happened.
So you equate sex to bank robbery??? And I bet you'd still complain if someone suggested that you all are simply opposed to people having sex.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
KAINTUCK, I think you have stumbled in to the Social Security and Medicare solution!!! Although I am pro choice for at least the first four months of a pregnancy, I can understand and respect your abortion sentiments. If you view it as a murder once you are at the stage of inception, it is a difficult position to compromise.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Guys, please - discuss the topic, not each other. No need to get emotional, especially since most of you have already took part in similar discussions before.
Yac.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Roger that Yac. It always goes to name calling and insulting and well that is just your political perspective.This particular topic of abortion may well fall under a politcal mantle but it is basically moral versus non moral and responsibility versus non responsibility. I don't know about the rest of the folks against abortion but I happen to like sex quite a bit. I would say though that anyone that doesn't have enough self control to take the time to take precautions is probably a pretty sorry lover anyway, probably doesn't last very long. Must be some most dissapointed women out there for you out of wedlock baby makers, probably the same ones that beat your women, can't or won't hold a job or their liquor. Just some personal observations of mine along in life.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:53 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Long thread here ... did anyone mention the obvious "demography is destiny" argument?

While the country is getting wealthier and more educated, which 'favors' the Left ... if the Left keeps aborting itself ... oops! no more Hillary voters.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Good post M Type X. Except for immigration, or should I say migration ,into a third world country, population wise, we are just treading water while other countries continue to grow at exponential rates.
This is what brings us to the point that all liberals need to understand, yet, I doubt their capacity to understand. Really, it is not a question of intelligence. I have met many liberals that are intelligent, some post here. I think Tominole is intelligent. I think Saggy is a parrot of the left. Reads too much, thinks too little. Doesn't mean he isn't intelligent though. Knows how to string sentences togeather with intelligilbe construct. He is simply wired wrong. We could have a drink togeather and probably get along. It would of course necessitate talking about golf or something not religious or political.
I take it that some folks are just wired wrong, wheras, I am wired,- quite right. No pun intended.
Back to the thread. Abortion is wrong. Those children cannot speak for themselves. Someone needs to speak for them. I will say this though. It is reported that teen pregnancies are down and abortions are down. I have always believed that one day mankind would evolve sufficiently that he would look back on the era of the abortion of six million children and say it was the most barbaric period in human history. Education is important to the concept of ending abortion. Not just preaching abstinence but preaching responsibility in the absence of abstinence.
I am grateful to be able to post here and contribute to the speed of that evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies