Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need to re-think this "Greatest Generation" business.

Yeah, they survived the Depression and won WWII, but then they turned around and raised the Boomers.

Not much to brag about there, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Maybe we need to re-think this "Greatest Generation" business.

Yeah, they survived the Depression and won WWII, but then they turned around and raised the Boomers.

Not much to brag about there, is there?
I think it was the excess of the post war boom that created the baby boomers behavior. They got used to astronomical growth, so they feel that they can have whatever they want, whenever they want it, and that darned government is just getting in their way.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think it was the excess of the post war boom that created the baby boomers behavior. They got used to astronomical growth, so they feel that they can have whatever they want, whenever they want it, and that darned government is just getting in their way.
The instant gratification generation more accurately describes Ys and, to an extent, Xs, not boomers.

We're the ones who had to have 20% down to buy a house or to buy a car. The ones who didn't have guaranteed student loans or scholarships for having a mole on our ass. And oh yeah, most of us had to have the draft in the back of our minds. The ones who didn't knock up their girlfriends and "forget" to take responsibility. We had to get married, no abortions yet, either.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The instant gratification generation more accurately describes Ys and, to an extent, Xs, not boomers.

We're the ones who had to have 20% down to buy a house or to buy a car. The ones who didn't have guaranteed student loans or scholarships for having a mole on our ass. And oh yeah, most of us had to have the draft in the back of our minds. The ones who didn't knock up their girlfriends and "forget" to take responsibility. We had to get married, no abortions yet, either.
WHAT?

The quote that describes the baby boomer generations is

"Greed is good" - Gordon Gecko

People in their 30's and 20's are saving money, buying smaller houses, and cutting back. Its the baby boomers who are crying about their taxes being raised, not paying for two wars, and talking about cutting my government retirement help, and not their own.

Baby boomers are all about greed and instant gratification.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
WHAT?

The quote that describes the baby boomer generations is

"Greed is good" - Gordon Gecko

People in their 30's and 20's are saving money, buying smaller houses, and cutting back. Its the baby boomers who are crying about their taxes being raised, not paying for two wars, and talking about cutting my government retirement help, and not their own.

Baby boomers are all about greed and instant gratification.
That may be because we've been working, and paying into Social Security, for the better part of 50 years (41 and counting for me) and you younger whiners (yes, whiners) are now saying that we don't "deserve" to receive it.

When you come close to my 47% total tax load come back and talk to me.

Please tell me about your "smaller" houses. Do you mean the ones that were built around me that started at 3000 sq. ft. and went up that were bought and occupied by 25-35 year olds using a no money down mortgage? Those ones? I guessed I missed the boat with my 1500 ft, 100 year old house.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That may be because we've been working, and paying into Social Security, for the better part of 50 years (41 and counting for me) and you younger whiners (yes, whiners) are now saying that we don't "deserve" to receive it.

I've been paying in for over a decade myself. If no one is going to get benefits, no one should get them. What do you expect me to continue to pay for your retirement, and not have any myself?

More greed.

Actually totally I'm close to 40% now.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
I'm in the Federal 35% tax bracket (that's numero uno on the pyramid, for the record). I put max contributions into things like Social Security (which I'll never see a dime back on) and Medicaid (which I have no interest in), etc. My dear old Uncle Sammy literally takes home more of my money each pay period than I do, and that's in spite of the fact that I live in a state (Washington) with no state income tax.

So I'll talk to you. I think the poster you're responding to is pretty much dead on. My generation is the one that's going to have to shoulder the load of paying for the last round of Ponzi schemes that were doomed from the start (pensions and Social Security)

Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Generation Y is a product of the even greater excesses of the 1980s and 1990s. Most of them have not had to work due to the fact they've received everything they wanted from their parents. After their idealism fades post-college I think they will end up much like the boomers. There will be a reality check when they enter the workforce, and especially when they have to pay off those student loans working a job that pays much less than what was promised to them growing up.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I've been paying in for over a decade myself. If no one is going to get benefits, no one should get them. What do you expect me to continue to pay for your retirement, and not have any myself?

More greed.

Actually totally I'm close to 40% now.
And who is it exactly that is saying you'll get no benefits? That is some sort of phantasm you guys say. You do understand how SS works (and yes I know the problems with the way it was set up so don't try to "school" me in them)? Today's workers pay for today's retirees. Your kids will pay in for you. Unless all of you suddenly, as a group, decide to become Shakers and foreswear carnal relationships. Now, I do have to agree that a large number of your generation should have been an act of fellatio.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
And who is it exactly that is saying you'll get no benefits? That is some sort of phantasm you guys say. You do understand how SS works (and yes I know the problems with the way it was set up so don't try to "school" me in them)? Today's workers pay for today's retirees. Your kids will pay in for you. Unless all of you suddenly, as a group, decide to become Shakers and foreswear carnal relationships. Now, I do have to agree that a large number of your generation should have been an act of fellatio.
Oh I've heard Republicans saying it.

Just this morning Mike Pence said that "all options are on the table" for those who are under 40. All options means, no social security. I be damned if I'm going to pay in for you, and I get nothing to show for it. If they are going to end it, end it, no one gets anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies