Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ooh please stop with the left wing partisan attacks and begin to discuss reality. Since Obama took offfice the GOP couldnt do crap.. Stop reading your left wing bs and start to discuss reality... No one brought Obama down but himself. He got EVERYTHING he wanted, EVERYTHING..
That is a totally false.

The fact of the matter is the legislative branch of the United States government is totally dysfunctional. Why? Because Senate parliamentary rules dictate that it only takes 40 votes to filibuster and prevent a bill from coming to the Senate floor for a vote. The death of Ted Kennedy and the election of Scott Brown effectively ended the Democratic Party's ability completely control which bills came to the Senate floor for a vote and how those bills became laws. The result was a compromised stimulus package, compromised health care reform, and compromised financial reform.

As long at this continues it won’t matter which party is in power we will be stuck in a political quagmire where it will be impossible to form strong national policies that are needed to address this country’s issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's odd that you would believe that Dems don't pander to the "rich" or corporate interests
I don't see a hell of of Democrats running around trying to extend take cuts for richest Americans.

I don't see a hell of lot of Republicans running around supporting extending unemployment benefits.

I'm just saying!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times
Perhaps if both parties would not try to pass Bills that have extreme elements in them that a large part of the population do not like more could get done. I believe Kennedy was a prponent of incrementialism in policy instead of ideas that polorize things....that owuld be a good start.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That is a totally false.

The fact of the matter is the legislative branch of the United States government is totally dysfunctional. Why? Because Senate parliamentary rules dictate that it only takes 40 votes to filibuster and prevent a bill from coming to the Senate floor for a vote. The death of Ted Kennedy and the election of Scott Brown effectively ended the Democratic Party's ability completely control which bills came to the Senate floor for a vote and how those bills became laws. The result was a compromised stimulus package, compromised health care reform, and compromised financial reform.

As long at this continues it won’t matter which party is in power we will be stuck in a political quagmire where it will be impossible to form strong national policies that are needed to address this country’s issues.
I'm wrong? Then list ONE thing Obama wanted that he didnt get.. All you did was point out how it was the Democrats who couldnt even write a bill to gather ONE vote after Brown was elected. Thats rather sad.. NOT one?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Not necessarily corporations...he tends to pander to unions and George Soros.
That's funny because George Soros is become increasingly critical of Barack Obama.

George Soros: ‘I’m Not Satisfied With Barack Obama’ | Sandra Rose

PressTV - George Soros turning against Obama?

But I know you heard the whole "President Obama" panders to George Soros" spiel on Fox News. SO IT'S MUST BE TRUE RIGHT?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
I don't see a hell of of Democrats running around trying to extend take cuts for richest Americans.

I don't see a hell of lot of Republicans running around supporting extending unemployment benefits.
^^ Exactly right.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
What do you mean spend?

$700 Billion dollars is not current revenue that the Govt has?
It is new revenue they want to gain?
The group you are talking about pays a greater % in taxes and total tax amount already. Why do they get to pay for others free ride?
Because the tax policies of the Bush 43 Administration benefitted upper income people more than any other group in the United States while middle class incomes stagnated and poverty increased substantially.

Second, the amount of the tax increases are NOT going to force any of these people to starve. The economy did just fine thank you under the Clinton Administration with the same tax rates that are being proposed AND THE FEDERAL DEFICIT IS ALSO REDUCED.

Third, there is enough statistical information out there to totally refute the benefits of so-called "Trickle Down Economics". Tax cuts are like sugar highs. They do NOT sustain long term economic growth.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm wrong? Then list ONE thing Obama wanted that he didnt get.. All you did was point out how it was the Democrats who couldnt even write a bill to gather ONE vote after Brown was elected. Thats rather sad.. NOT one?
Single payer or the public option in the healtcare reform bill.

It appears the unless the Republicans in the Senate decide differently Don't Ask, Don't Tell won't be repeal by Congress.

The Republicans have made it quite clear they will obstruct the legislative process in this session of Congress until they get their tax cuts for the rich.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

I'm just saying!
thats exactly wrong..
Democrats dont want to extend ANYONES tax cuts, if they did, they would have done it when they had 100% control

And Republicans simply want the unemployment benefits paid for.. Keep spinning facts, or is it outright lying now that you've been corrected on this information over and over..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Left or right, Bush or Obama, what the Republicans are doing is childish. It shows their allegiance is to ideology, not country. The Bush tax cuts benefited the wealthy and prosperity showered only on them.

The overspending is non-partisan, both sides are guilty. We must both increase revenue and cut costs. The rich who unfortunately control practically everything need to pay more, just like they used to before they raped the rest of us. The entitlements should be diminished with the goal of reducing them to near zero over the long haul. The defense budget should be slashed to bits after we close the foreign bases and bring all troops to the soil they are honor-bound to protect.

Again, both parties are pretty worthless but the Republicans, in their latest display of a full-blown toddler temper tantrum, have only certified their disinterest in doing the work they were hired to do. Send them to Guantanamo for acting against the best interest of their nation and for doing it so blatantly. If you voted for them, you wasted your vote. They only care about winning at any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies