Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Sure..make pot legal. That will take the small fish that don't count out of the equation.
Really..arresting someone for finding a small bit (personal use) in their car is just taking up time, money and space in our system that could be put to better use.

We have historical precedent here to study..prohibition and it's legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, all we need is for our society to accept dirt bags and their unsavory behavior. Do you really think the Drug Cartels will just go away? HAHAHA, never in a million years. They will just sell their stuff cheaper. They will NEVER just disappear unless they are all wiped out.
We don't need to accept unsavory or criminal behavior. When drug addicts break the law, they should do the time. However, putting all the drug users in jail causes such overcrowding that we let real criminals go early, which is insane.

Drug cartels are incredibly lucrative BECAUSE drugs are illegal, and this is huge barrier to competition. Legalize drugs, tax them like every other business, and you will see those businesses struggling to survive just like other now-legitimate business. You can also use those tax dollars to treat the medical problems of addiction, which are totally ignored with our current approach.

We already have the worst drug of all (cigarettes) killing over 400,000 people a year, when illegal drugs very rarely cause deaths. And alcohol. And prescription drugs, where the upper classes just have to pay off a doctor to get whatever they want. So why the extreme anger toward illegal drug users? They are typically just very poor people who have no economic future and can hardly be blamed for self-medicating.

If you really hate drug abuse, then you cannot reasonably support the current "Drug War" that wastes huge amounts of money and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
We don't need to accept unsavory or criminal behavior. When drug addicts break the law, they should do the time. However, putting all the drug users in jail causes such overcrowding that we let real criminals go early, which is insane.

Drug cartels are incredibly lucrative BECAUSE drugs are illegal, and this is huge barrier to competition. Legalize drugs, tax them like every other business, and you will see those businesses struggling to survive just like other now-legitimate business. You can also use those tax dollars to treat the medical problems of addiction, which are totally ignored with our current approach.

We already have the worst drug of all (cigarettes) killing over 400,000 people a year, when illegal drugs very rarely cause deaths. And alcohol. And prescription drugs, where the upper classes just have to pay off a doctor to get whatever they want. So why the extreme anger toward illegal drug users? They are typically just very poor people who have no economic future and can hardly be blamed for self-medicating.

If you really hate drug abuse, then you cannot reasonably support the current "Drug War" that wastes huge amounts of money and accomplishes absolutely nothing.
Well said!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think it'd be safe to argue that the Mob made far more money on alcohol prohibition than they did after it.

Hell, the Kennedys wouldn't be who they were without Prohibition.

You can never dictate what free adults can or can't do when it only effects themselves.

I guess you think I'm a dirtbag. I'm a UMC man, own my own home, contribute to the community, raise my son, great grades in school, I pay my taxes, and I've served in the military.

Oh, but I smoke pot, so I guess I'm a dirt bag with unsavory behavior.
Just out of curiosity, why do you smoke pot?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Telling Americans how to live their lives should not be within the power of government. Government should not tell me what to eat, drink, smoke or grow in my back yard. Government should not tell me what I can and cannot do with my body or how I can spend my money. Government should not tell me what hours my business can be open.

All drugs should be legal along with prostitution and gambling.

And there is a lot of evidence that we would have less drug use, not more, if they were legal.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, all we need is for our society to accept dirt bags and their unsavory behavior. Do you really think the Drug Cartels will just go away? HAHAHA, never in a million years. They will just sell their stuff cheaper. They will NEVER just disappear unless they are all wiped out.
As I recall from history class, the alcohol "cartels" went away when FDR ended prohibition of alcohol in 1933.

And why do you think everyone who uses illegal drugs is a "dirt bag with unsavory behavior?"

You might be surprised how many of your neighbors who are pillars of the community smoke pot.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

You are correct. And we have a huge legal drug abuse problem, and those people are helped with medical attention, not put in jail.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you smoke pot?
Why does someone drink a beer at the end of the day?

I generally don't smoke, I either vaporize and/or eat it. I make cannabutter and make baked goods with that.

I don't partake everyday, but most days.

The medical reasons for me would be, restless leg syndrome (anyone who tells you its made up don't know what the hell they are talking about), migraines, and to help me sleep at night. I go more than a week with having anything I can't sleep. I go for two weeks and I can't sleep because it feels like someone took my extensor hallucis longus tendon and wrapped their finger in it, tightens it, and pulls it halfway up my leg. It hurts, and when you have a job that requires you to drive long distances, you need some relief. I don't know if doctors medications would work on that, but I'd rather take something natural with no side effects than to take some man made crap.

I went from having about 20 migraines a year on medication to 2.

If my state would legalize for medicinal use, I'd be the first to get a prescription.

I generally don't buy from anyone, I grow a small bit on my own.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Basically I have just conslude that drugs like alcohol is one of hmans wrose enemies and even the rich can not buy their way past the disaster it brings to lifes as we have seen. It become a crutch to foregt you have probelms and make things worse fro waht i have seen.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
How about this for a radical solution?

Whenever the government confiscates drugs, they should turn around and offer it for free to any interested parties. Come to the government drug warehouse in your area and get some crack! Not a pinch--take a whole brick of the stuff, if you want. It's all perfectly free.

Result #1: drug cartels lose all of their profits, which means they can peddle the stuff in some other country willing to tolerate them. Result #2: you know there's no such thing as a provident drug user. Give 'em the stuff for free, and they're going to kill themselves with it, in a fairly short time. Who's left? Those of us who don't do drugs!

The Drug War is over, a complete and total victory for us (not them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies