Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 AM

88,681 posts, read 44,430,925 times

Advertisements

Given the abysmal job public schools are doing at educating our country's Black and Hispanic children, why do we have ardent defenders of the Democrats' 'trap them in the public schools' status quo? Would that not in and of itself indicate that such defenders are racist oppressors?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM

1,070 posts, read 735,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Illegal aliens are very likely to be poor. Their U.S. born children receive public assistance benefits but the illegal adults can't vote. 58% of illegal households collect some form of public assistance in Texas.
Immigrants in the United States: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies
What does it have to do with anything ?

Quote:

As I already stated, 87.87% of that 20 million live in urban areas, where the poverty rate is about twice as high as that in rural areas.
And what does that change? Regardless of where they live, 84.6% of New Yorkers is not poor so why would they lose the vote to just 15.4% of poor people? You got the math wrong as 15.4% of people can't outvote the 84.6%. Lol

Quote:
Given that, why do blue states have such high rates of poverty in their cities? They sure seem to be dropping the ball on lifting anyone out of poverty.
Because the rich blue state have to support lazy red states: the only red state that pays more to federal coffers than it receives back is Texas. It's 200 years since the civil war, get to work already!

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-30-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 06:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Given the abysmal job public schools are doing at educating our country's Black and Hispanic children, why do we have ardent defenders of the Democrats' 'trap them in the public schools' status quo? Would that not in and of itself indicate that such defenders are racist oppressors?
It's NOT the schools.

Go look at the DC scores.

91% of Whites passed
86% of Asians passed
58% of Hispanics passed
47% of Blacks passed

http://osse.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...atewide%29.pdf

If the schools were that abysmal then Whites and Asians should be failing as well.
That's a huge gap. But that huge gap is found all over the US in demographic breakdowns.

Why are 91% Whites passing and only 47% Black ?
Don't say schools/teachers.

I'm in three districts where they only have 1 school so all the kids go to the same school with the same teacher.
And the score breakdowns are exactly the same.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
What does it have to do with anything ?
Illegal aliens are counted in the poverty rate, but they can't vote.
Quote:
And what does that change? Regardless of where they live, 84.6% of New Yorkers is not poor
Wrong.

15.4% of 87.87% are at or below the poverty level in urban areas. 8.7% of 12.13% in the rest of the state are at or below poverty levels.

Blue vote area (refer to the map I posted) urban poverty percentage of the state population: 15.4% x 87.87% = 13.53%

Red vote area rural poverty percentage of the state population: 8.7% x 1213% = 1%

That's why, in New York, rural areas vote red and urban areas vote blue, and those urban areas overwhelm the rest of the state's votes.

Your confusion is what happens when one can't understand basic math, like percentages.
Quote:
Because the rich blue state have to support lazy red states: the only red state that pays more to federal coffers than it receives back is Texas. It's 200 years since the civil war, get to work already!
EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

7 of the 11 are blue states.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's NOT the schools.

Go look at the DC scores.

91% of Whites passed
86% of Asians passed
58% of Hispanics passed
47% of Blacks passed

http://osse.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...atewide%29.pdf

If the schools were that abysmal then Whites and Asians should be failing as well.
That's a huge gap. But that huge gap is found all over the US in demographic breakdowns.

Why are 91% Whites passing and only 47% Black ?
Don't say schools/teachers.
Interesting point.

What say the Black and Hispanic members of city-data?

Caveat: D.C.'s assessment is likely much more dumbed-down than the NAEP assessment.
NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM

1,070 posts, read 735,929 times
Quote:
Illegal aliens are counted in the poverty rate, but they can't vote.
Same in Texas as in any other state. What's your point?

Quote:

15.4% of 87.87% are at or below the poverty level in urban areas. 8.7% of 12.13% in the rest of the state are at or below poverty levels.
So now explain to me how the 15.4% of poor in urban areas outvotes the remaining 84.6% of people living there?

15.4% can't outvote 84.6% of people.... That's statistically impossible. Rotfl

Quote:
Blue vote area (refer to the map I posted) urban poverty percentage of the state population: 15.4% x 87.87% = 13.53%

Red vote area rural poverty percentage of the state population: 8.7% x 1213% = 1%

That's why, in New York, rural areas vote red and urban areas vote blue, and those urban areas overwhelm the rest of the state's votes.
Why do urban areas vote blue? Because of 13%, 15% or 20% of the poor living there? Lol
That's still mathematically impossible lol

Quote:
Your confusion is what happens when one can't understand basic math, like percentages.
I have a college degree in science so percentages were never a problem and I don't think they are the problem now. Explain to me why would the urban areas in New York turn out a blue vote? Clearly, the poor are not even close to being a majority there...

Quote:
How about this map that shows states with the highest number of people who don't have to pay taxes.
Obviously this map doesn't include illegal immigrants and you can see that percentage wise there is more poor people in the red south than anywhere else, including the blue northeast.

Monday Map: Nonpayers By State | Tax Foundation

Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Interesting point.

What say the Black and Hispanic members of city-data?

Caveat: D.C.'s assessment is likely much more dumbed-down than the NAEP assessment.
NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013
Well the state made their tests.
So at the state level they did great ...65% passed
Then at the national level (NAEP) they did horrible.

Now go global with PISA and we really sink.

I don't put much faith in state testing because Federal dollars are hinged on how well states do on their tests so dumbing down the tests means more pass and the states get their money.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Same in Texas as in any other state. What's your point?
I was talking about Texas. Texas has 1.7 million illegal aliens. NY doesn't even come close to that.

Quote:
I have a college degree in science so percentages were never a problem and I don't think they are the problem now.
You might want to get a refund. Especially considering your following misinterpretation:
Quote:
How about this map that shows states with the highest number of people who don't have to pay taxes.
That's not what the map shows.

Hope you or someone else didn't pay a lot for your supposed "education."

Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Obviously this map doesn't include illegal immigrants and you can see that percentage wise there is more poor people in the red south than anywhere else, including the blue northeast.
It's not the highest number, it's the highest percentages. So much for your supposed "college degree in science."

Furthermore, consider states 1-6 on the map you posted in light of the following:

There are shocking similarities when looking at what both maps show.

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)

Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,974,273 times
Quote:
I've been a Student Education Advocate for decades. I know of which I speak.They both are racially and ethnically homogeneous. A private school is not going to be profitable if it is so bad that it cannot attract students. Likewise, a private school will not stay in business if the tuition exceeds students' ability to pay with vouchers.
You KNOW that vouchers will cure the education system? You're pretty confident. I wish it was that easy. Japan is a homogenous COUNTRY, not a neighborhood, quite a bit of difference. As to for profit schools, try taking a look at for profit prisons and see how well that's working out. I can see the same thing happening. I also notice that you fail to mention there are a number of exceptional inner city PUBLIC schools. Not to mention Charter Schools which should be more to your liking. Well except that the first Charter school was hash out by rather liberal Democrats. Maybe we should see why some schools do well while others flounder before giving up and privatizing.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 05-31-2014 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies