Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
The oddest part of the story is that they dont even mention what concert it is. They just mention the venue.
More than likely it was multiple concerts, 10 tickets for this concert, 10 for that one etc... If you want to avoid detection of fraud, you spread it out and milk it in little drops...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
I get it. Just another installation of "Let's Dump On Black People Day."

If this had been a white pol, I don't think I'd see all this idiotic racial innuendo that I see you illustrious folks engaging in.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
More than likely it was multiple concerts, 10 tickets for this concert, 10 for that one etc... If you want to avoid detection of fraud, you spread it out and milk it in little drops...
You seem to be insinuating that he was producing and selling counterfeit tickets. I highly doubt that if he were involved in fraud he'd report the theft of his fradulanet products to the police.

A more likely explanation is that John Conyers III works for the concert venue.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You seem to be insinuating that he was producing and selling counterfeit tickets. I highly doubt that if he were involved in fraud he'd report the theft of his fradulanet products to the police.
I'm making no such insinuation. I'm saying if you want to avoid detection of fraud, you SPREAD out the tickets, Its a known fact. I owned an arena football team, my GM stole money in a similar manner, you spread out the tickets so that there are only a few missing per concert. I didn't miss 4 seats per game, but if you give away 80 at once, it starts to raise red flags.. Not insinuating, just making a factual statement..

Other news stories though do list the concert
The tickets were intended to be distributed to select retail locations as part of a Black Friday promotion for Detroit rapper Big Sean's concert at the Fillmore on Dec. 26.
Quote:
A more likely explanation is that John Conyers III works for the concert venue.
Um.. I doubt thats the case.. He's a member of Congress.. I dont think they have the time to hold second jobs.. Do you think he's an usher trying to make ends meet

Conyers III is affiliated with Big Sean and the promotional group selling the tickets, an executive at the Fillmore confirmed.

"The people who they're selling them to might buy them thinking they're real," Sean said Tuesday. "That's my only concern."

The tickets, arent real, they've been voided, they have no value..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm making no such insinuation. I'm saying if you want to avoid detection of fraud, you SPREAD out the tickets, Its a known fact. I owned an arena football team, my GM stole money in a similar manner, you spread out the tickets so that there are only a few missing per concert. I didn't miss 4 seats per game, but if you give away 80 at once, it starts to raise red flags.. Not insinuating, just making a factual statement..

Other news stories though do list the concert
The tickets were intended to be distributed to select retail locations as part of a Black Friday promotion for Detroit rapper Big Sean's concert at the Fillmore on Dec. 26.

Um.. I doubt thats the case.. He's a member of Congress.. I dont think they have the time to hold second jobs.. Do you think he's an usher trying to make ends meet

Conyers III is affiliated with Big Sean and the promotional group selling the tickets, an executive at the Fillmore confirmed.

"The people who they're selling them to might buy them thinking they're real," Sean said Tuesday. "That's my only concern."

The tickets, per the Congressman arent real, they've been voided, they have no value..
Um, I think you need to re-read this story. The congressman wasn't involved in this directly. It was his 20 year old son who's property was stolen out of the car. I wasn't suggesting that the congressman perhaps works for the concert venue - I was suggesting that his son perhaps works for the concert venue. The ethics concern surrounding the congressman is why is his son driving a government vehicle (and at first look, it does appear to be inappropriate) - it has nothing to do with the theft of his son's property.

Again, I don't see why if the congressman's son was involved in illegal activity he would report his illegal activity to the police. Why in God's name would you report to the police the theft of tickets that you had stolen in the first place? If I stole $20,000 worth of Ipods from the Best Buy I worked for and subsequently had them stolen out of my car, there's no way in hell I'd report that to the police (btw, I don't work for Best Buy - just a hypothetical).

Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I get it. Just another installation of "Let's Dump On Black People Day."

If this had been a white pol, I don't think I'd see all this idiotic racial innuendo that I see you illustrious folks engaging in.
Bringing out the race card. The only mention of blacks is the number of Congressional Black Caucus members who have recently been involved in unethical scandals. Do you deny that??

Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Um, I think you need to re-read this story. The congressman wasn't involved in this directly. It was his 20 year old son who's property was stolen out of the car. The ethics concern surrounding the congressman is why is his son driving a government vehicle (and first look, it does appear to be inappropriate).

Again, I don't see why if the congressman's son was involved in illegal activity he would report his illegal activity to the police. Why in God's name would you report to the police the theft of tickets that you had stolen in the first place?
I never said he was involved in illegal activity. Please go back and read the statement again, this time slower.. I said IF one was taking part in illegal activity you spread them out and I stated why one would do so.. In fact I clearly said I'm making no such insinuation.

And yes, I stand corrected, it wasnt the Congressmember who said the tickets were voided.. but they were.. Its a mute point because they dont hold $27,500 in value.. they were cancelled... Conyers: Son inappropriately used SUV | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20101201/POLITICS03/12010355/Conyers--Son-inappropriately-used-SUV - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I never said he was involved in illegal activity. Please go back and read the statement again, this time slower.. I said IF one was taking part in illegal activity you spread them out and I stated why one would do so.. In fact I clearly said I'm making no such insinuation.

And yes, I stand corrected, it wasnt the Congressmember who said the tickets were voided.. but they were.. Its a mute point because they dont hold $27,500 in value.. they were cancelled... Conyers: Son inappropriately used SUV | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20101201/POLITICS03/12010355/Conyers--Son-inappropriately-used-SUV - broken link)
I don't understand what you're talking about (or what we're arguing about).

You stated
Quote:
You're clearly insinuation that a fraud (an illegal act) occurred. I simply stated that if someone committed a fraud - whether it be counterfeiting tickets, stealing and then giving them away, stealing and then selling them, whatever - it makes no sense to bring it to the attention of the police.

I said this in an attempt to argue that most likely a fraud was not committed (contrary to what you insinuated), and that these tickets were legitimately in the congressman's son's possession. The further details you provided seem to support what I said.

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-01-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
The oddest part of the story is that they dont even mention what concert it is. They just mention the venue.
Maybe the cops plan to show up and arrest everyone who turns up in those seats.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe the cops plan to show up and arrest everyone who turns up in those seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies