Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'd say the number of mestizos and the number of black/mulatto/zambo Colombians is about equal.

No way, Colombia's mestizos make up over 50% of the countries people.
Afro colombians (black, mulatto, zambo) make up around 20-25%, and whites around 20%
Most Colombians that I talk to agree that it is mostly mestizo.
http://http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Americas/Colombia-ETHNIC-GROUPS.html (broken link)

Colombia :: Ethnic Groups --* Kids Encyclopedia | Online Encyclopedia | Kids Online Dictionary | Britannica

http://http://www.country-studies.com/colombia/race-and-ethnicity.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
No way, Colombia's mestizos make up over 50% of the countries people.
Afro colombians (black, mulatto, zambo) make up around 20-25%, and whites around 20%
Most Colombians that I talk to agree that it is mostly mestizo.
http://http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Americas/Colombia-ETHNIC-GROUPS.html (broken link)

Colombia :: Ethnic Groups --* Kids Encyclopedia | Online Encyclopedia | Kids Online Dictionary | Britannica

http://http://www.country-studies.com/colombia/race-and-ethnicity.html (broken link)

Ethnic groups and languages in Colombia

Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,130 times
Hispanic is an etnicity, not a race

I am hispanic and white .... there are white, black, asian and native american hispanics

Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Quote:
Most PR's aren't mulatto. And most Hispanics in this country in general (Mexicans, central americans, Colombians etc) are mestizo(indian-white).

Can you NOT read..I said most I know are MULATTO. I live in Brooklyn half of the year and most of the Puerto Ricans I KNOW in my neighborhood are mulatto they have no problem saying their black & white and you can tell they have "black genes". I know very few who considers themselves anything but black/white. Also, the correct term is Native American NOT Indian, Indian people are from India.

Adriana Lima (even though she's Brazilian) may look like she's Mestizo but she's not..just because someone isn't dark doesn't mean they don't have anything other than Mestizo in them I bet if they do some sort of DNA test a lot will find African blood in them just like George Lopez. Get over yourself...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Can you NOT read..I said most I know are MULATTO. I live in Brooklyn half of the year and most of the Puerto Ricans I KNOW in my neighborhood are mulatto they have no problem saying their black & white and you can tell they have "black genes". I know very few who considers themselves anything but black/white. Also, the correct term is Native American NOT Indian, Indian people are from India.

Adriana Lima (even though she's Brazilian) may look like she's Mestizo but she's not..just because someone isn't dark doesn't mean they don't have anything other than Mestizo in them I bet if they do some sort of DNA test a lot will find African blood in them just like George Lopez. Get over yourself...

Adriana, who is from Bahia, the blackest state in Brazil, says she is a mulata.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Hmm..I have always wondered why they would consider themselves white?
So that can claim some measure of racial superiority to non-White people.

Latin America has a very different and complicated history with regards to race when compared to the United States. One of the differences is in the United States if a person has one Black ancestor they are no longer considered White. On the other hand if a person has at least one ancestor that is non-Black they are no longer considered Black in Latin America. There are roughly thirty different ways to describe a person in Brazil purely based on the color of their skin.

There were also no laws that expressly forbid people of different races from marrying although upper class Spanairds tend to marry either other in Latin America to perserve a social, political and economic structure that puts them at the top. Therefore in most countries in Latin America white skin tends to denote middle or upper class status although this is not always the case. However there were obviously marriages and other relationships across racial lines involving middle and lower class Spaniards and indigenous indians and blacks which accounts for the variety of skin tones you see if you hapeen to travel to places like Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Panama etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Adriana, who is from Bahia, the blackest state in Brazil, says she is a mulata.

Lucario, Did my links work right?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Lucario, Did my links work right?
Colombia? Yeah.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Colombia? Yeah.

OK, good just checking.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 4,787 times
Don't mean to offend anyone but I would say that a hispanic person could be considered white if they could fit into a 1950's tv show like Leave it to Beaver or I love Lucy. Someone like Dezi Arnez or Jose Canseco could fit in as white but they are always going to be described also as Cuban. Just my opinion.

Another opinion is if the hispanic person had at least 1 or 2 grandparents that had colored eyes or light(er) hair they could be considered white. This way they have those recessive genes that are considered white.

Just my opinions. Don't mean to offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies