Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Only about 4% of the population is "good." These are people who will always do the right thing, always do what is just and proper regardless of the consequences to themselves, which could be losing their job, losing their wealth, losing their family (who turns against them), suffering the scorn of the media and community etc.

About twice as many are are "wannabe good" people. These are people who will do what is just and proper, but only if they do not suffer any consequences.

The fast majority of people 64%+ are "not good" people. They will only do the right thing if they receive some benefit or gain from it, be it a reward, or "15 minutes" on YouTube or whatever. These are the "sheeple" who are grotesquely selfish and easily mislead because their primary function is to satisfy their own selfish interests.

Everyone else falls in the bad and evil category. Those people never do the right thing and have no qualms about stealing or murdering to get what they want.
That all depends, is the person leaving his wife and kids behind so he can go to India and feed the poor? Just being a faithful and caring spouse and/or parent is being a good person, helping strangers or friends and neighbors who are in time of need is also good, as long as you do not take it too extreme and fail as a parent or spouse.

Just be humble, and honest, keep your word when its given, fulfill your responsibilities, and hold yourself accountable for your actions, and do not be selfish when other people need your help. Live your life as if your grandmother is watching you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Hitler probably was quite true to himself.
Not at all. You're implying that he was evil by nature, as if he couldn't help it. A person can become imbalanced, and most of us do on occasion, but that state is never one's true self.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And what of the Jews and Hindus and Buddhists and Muslims and Taoists and Druids and Pagans and Wiccans...? Not everyone is a Christian.
Isn't that, in fact, the heart of the "good people" discussion? -- Either one relies on the perfect plan God has provided ... as revealed in His Word, the Bible, or they do not! -- Religion is man's way of reaching out to God, but God is not bound by human opinions or standards of 'good'

I believe that God is Holy, Righteous and Just and that His plan and Way are perfect. Even though I do not entirely understand the 'mind of God' (how could I?) -- I believe and trust in the Way He has provided.

Who is man to presume to 'judge God' and/or His Word, the Bible, as unfair or unrighteous?? -- And, if one categorically rejects the Bible as God's Word, then the matter of Salvation by Grace through Faith in Christ ... is a non-issue (Except, the Bible claims that God has given every person an inborn knowledge of His truth .. and that those who reject/suppress it are without excuse - Rom 1:18-22)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I find it paradoxical how in a capitalist society we don't consider rich people to be "better" than the poor. Historically, in most societies there are standards for people and it was easy to rank people. In India, you had the caste system. In a lot of warrior societies, most men aspire to die in battle or at least kill many enemy soldiers. It was easy to rank people. In a lot of third-world countries, government officials are seen to be higher than the common people because they have a lot of power.

I'm 20, and I find it hard to find a path that will make be a "better" person because it seems hard to define that. If money isn't everything in a capitalist society then what is? Serving your country by joining the military? Helping the poor? I don't know. Some people just told me to be "happy". But, I'm wary of that because I used to play a lot of video games and that made me happy. But I just can't see myself living a fulfilling life by playing video games all day. I really wish that I'm in an autocratic society and what a person should do is well-defined.

It seems that everything is "good" but that's very confusing.
Having a lot of money doesn't make someone a good person. If one does honest work, and makes honest money it doesn't matter how much he/she makes. As long as someone realizes the rights of other human beings and doesn't try to violate the rights of others they would make my list.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Isn't that, in fact, the heart of the "good people" discussion? -- Either one relies on the perfect plan God has provided ... as revealed in His Word, the Bible, or they do not! -- Religion is man's way of reaching out to God, but God is not bound by human opinions or standards of 'good'

I believe that God is Holy, Righteous and Just and that His plan and Way are perfect. Even though I do not entirely understand the 'mind of God' (how could I?) -- I believe and trust in the Way He has provided.

Who is man to presume to 'judge God' and/or His Word, the Bible, as unfair or unrighteous?? -- And, if one categorically rejects the Bible as God's Word, then the matter of Salvation by Grace through Faith in Christ ... is a non-issue (Except, the Bible claims that God has given every person an inborn knowledge of His truth .. and that those who reject/suppress it are without excuse - Rom 1:18-22)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
A good person is someone who endeavors to be self-reliant, is a reliable friend and family member, does no harm to others and treats them with respect, and does not seek to force others to do his bidding.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

I reject your silly God and his phony book of fairy tales, and yet I am generally judged to be a "good" person by the people who know me.

Or to turn your question on its head: Who is God to create imperfect creatures and then judge and condemn them on the basis of that inherent imperfection? That is not logical, but then nothing about organized religion ever is.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 AM

196 posts, read 208,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Just curious. Did you attend the public school system, say within the last 25 years?
No.

Were you home schooled?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
A good person is someone who endeavors to be self-reliant, is a reliable friend and family member, does no harm to others and treats them with respect, and does not seek to force others to do his bidding.
Quoted for truth.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I reject your silly God and his phony book of fairy tales, and yet I am generally judged to be a "good" person by the people who know me.

Or to turn your question on its head: Who is God to create imperfect creatures and then judge and condemn them on the basis of that inherent imperfection? That is not logical, but then nothing about organized religion ever is.
Seriously if I was God I would fire whoever decided to make the Bible my "Word." I mean a bronze age book of desert scribblings and contradictions is not how I would market myself. I'd find a new PR Director and update myself to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies