Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Isn't that the way it always is? Don't think for a minute that the large Utilities pay for any repairs, upgrades or the decomission of a NUK, we pay for it it's passed down.
Yes, but the difference here of course would be substantially higher costs for renewables. If renewables were profitable the private sector would be building them as fast as they could put them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Is there a point in there?
The point would be your solar panels made here in the US would not be competitive, one reason being they were built using cheaper electric derived from coal.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The point would be your solar panels made here in the US would not be competitive, one reason being they were built using cheaper electric derived from coal.
Sure they would be competitive. They would be made in an order of magnitude higher volume...and we make them here in NV with electricity from Hoover...far cheaper than coal.

And by 2025 or so it will be cheaper to produce electricity in the mojave desert from PV or solar thermal than from coal.

The clock ticks on coal...tic tic tic...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

The clock ticks on coal...tic tic tic...
When you can heat a 2000 sq foot home in northeastern Pennsylvania and provide domestic hot water year round for a grand total of about $800 per year let me know.... and that is for anthracite which is double the cost of soft coal.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Bad comparison, the automobile provided an improvement over the horse and buggy. Renewables don't provide anything new, just more expense. If you wanted to make an analogy we still have a horse and buggy except now the horse passes less gas at much higher cost for the feed.

While on the subject of the automobile do you think Henry Ford introduces the Model T if the governement is subsidizing expensive cars for everyone?
It is the perfect comparison, and the myopic what's in it for me (price tag on all things) short term thinking plaguing America is why you cannot see this. All hail worship the automobile! All hail worship a solar panel! How much is your mom worth to you? How about your kids? $50,000? $250,000? If we're unable to articulate value in terms of dollars, does that make what is priceless worthless?

When the cure for cancer we believed we had a century ago caused 50 other illnesses, is it not time for us all to get back to the drawing board & work smarter? We can all stand around staring at one another expecting the other to work on it infinitely. We can elect someone with expectations that a single man ought to deliver what only many hands can achieve. We can allow ourselves to believe ultra conservatives selling the argument that the failure of a cure must logically be evidence that the medicinal sciences be abolished. We can allow ourselves to believe communists pointing at crony capitalism as irrefutable evidence for why capitalism is a proven failure. We can allow anarchists declaring war on collectivism to seduce men away from the true meaning of We the People and WE mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

None of these are correct. All of these have valid criticism to offer. None of them are working together in good faith, and all of them are animated in negative competition attempting to assert dominance. In every breath of debate, every wrongful selling point, every lie told trying to sell magic bullets, presides the destruction of the United States of America usurped for the new and improved constitution--- The United Supremisists of America.

The bashing should be evidence enough. Corporations animated as pirates should be evidence enough. Christians animated as bloodthirsty mobs should be evidence enough. Get the poison out of your ears. Stop deluding yourself that you can go it alone or that you're a self made man. You weren't hatched. There is far more at stake than just you, your life, your liberty, and your happiness. Until all sides declare what it is they mean to protect, fair minded policy for the greater good of all struggles to be drafted. When you're backhanding your wives because they have grave concerns, the claim of being in defense of your family goes right out the window.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Yes, but the difference here of course would be substantially higher costs for renewables. If renewables were profitable the private sector would be building them as fast as they could put them up.
LOL well they are profitable but the cost is high compaired to the return, it takes up a lot of property for a windfarm or solar plant. It's good technology on a small basis I just don't think it's practical solution for the industry.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL well they are profitable....
The only thing that makes them profitable is massive government subsidies at the federal, state and sometimes local level given to the people making them and right on down the entire chain. If the government money dried up there would be no investment from the private sector, period.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
many excellent points in this post, i repped you fro this one. as i have said many times, if we are going to make this country energy independent, we are going to have to rely on a large number of energy types. in order for us to do that we will have to let the free markets work like like they were designed to.
Free market in it's purist ideology sense is a non design. It is staying out of the way where a free style river wants to be and what that river will feed or destruct. If we lived that out in purist fashion the cockroaches inherit the earth. Nothing of significance can be created by humankind without structures in place to facilitate it & without the hands of many to support it. Railing at the basis of civilization, order/ law, is a path of devolving. Hippies beating down buildings; opening the doors of the asylums did not cure mental illness. It was a non answer. A non solution. It's still undermining civilization.

I can see much wisdom behind Libertarian philosophy but they're empty handed with material plans. Abolishing regulations and eliminating subsidy as a useless tools is not the solution. Channeling our energy properly is the guideline of policy making we need. I'll break bread with anyone willing to roll up their sleeves and get to work because I have no party. I'm a centrist. I'm just not willing to listen to scapegoat arguments laid at the feet of tools abused/ used improperly. Every tool in the drawer has useful function and each inherent limitations.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
We're subsidizing the purchase of these products now that are made overseas in places like from China who is putting online a new coal plant every few weeks. Why would you expect the US to suddenly become competitive when you are going to be increasing the rates of electricity to subsidize this tech?
We subsidized every industry to cradle it into existence & raise it up in one form or fashion. Coal and oil are no exception. You didn't cry foul about taxes when coal or oil or automotive industry got subsidy for a century. Renewables subsidy gets whatever hits the floor, then turn around with blame that it 'failed' as an excuse to shut it down. If I have a vested interest for my car NOT to work, I assure you, I can easily find 500 ways to undermine my own car as evidence to abolish. This is what has been permitted to happen in 2 party hatfield mccoy BS leaving America itself as collateral damage.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Default Horse versus Car analogy

Actual the PV panel has an advantage that may be as strong as that of the car.

It is distributed close to the point of use. That will turn out to be a substantial advantage as costs become competitive.

Get it going full tilt and the cost of distribution drops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies