Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Regardless of political party that sounds pretty close to a direct bribe to me. So much for having any ethics or honesty. That I am not surprised is depressing.

Allowing the Chinese to have ANYTHING to do with supplying materials, investment or business management to any part of the United States energy supply is so short sighted and stupid as to be beyond comprehension.

Unlike Mr. Freidman’s opus, the World is not FLAT. It is strongly tipped in the direction of our economic, cultural and political competitors. It is time to realize the Chinese are cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Regardless of political party that sounds pretty close to a direct bribe to me. So much for having any ethics or honesty. That I am not surprised is depressing.

Allowing the Chinese to have ANYTHING to do with supplying materials, investment or business management to any part of the United States energy supply is so short sighted and stupid as to be beyond comprehension.

Unlike Mr. Freidman’s opus, the World is not FLAT. It is strongly tipped in the direction of our economic, cultural and political competitors. It is time to realize the Chinese are cheating.
You've never played Chinese Checkers?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're missing my point, the person who wants to go green is doing it on my dime.
Farmers that don't plant any crops at all are doing it on your dime.

The oil and gas industry which generate billions of dollars in profits on a yearly bases get federal subsidies. That’s right Exxon-Mobil made over $19 BILLION dollars last year and they got a federal subsidy check ON YOUR DIME!

There are over 1600 federal subsidies programs aimed a specific industries.

Where is your outrage?

And you want complain about helping an industry that could create thousands of jobs, help reduce pollution, and have a huge economic growth benefit.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

The Chinese are not cheating they are just playing the game of captialism much better than the United States. They have advantages and they are using them. And they are getting hundreds of billions of dollars in investment and technological conscessions from some of the biggest and wealthiest corporations in the world including those in the United States.

America needs to stop whining aboiut China and get its game face on and look for ways to compete economically.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Farmers that don't plant any crops at all are doing it on your dime.

The oil and gas industry which generate billions of dollars in profits on a yearly bases get federal subsidies. That’s right Exxon-Mobil made over $19 BILLION dollars last year and they got a federal subsidy check ON YOUR DIME!

There are over 1600 federal subsidies programs aimed a specific industries.

Where is your outrage?
As I've posted numerous times in the past I'm all for the removal of ALL subsidies to private industry. It breeds corruption and waste.

Having said that the subsidies for fossil fuels are small when you look at output. Basing this on 2007 figures and assuming that cost would then shift to the consumer if they dropped the coal subsidy the average consumer might pay something like 20 cents extra a month on their electric bill. If you drop the petroleum subsidies you might pay fractions of penny extra on one gallon of gas.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
$30K bag tests and fuel wasting caty food? What are you talking about?

Modern cars are far better vehicles than those of 40 years ago and Japanese competition doesn't explain it all, a drive thru the pre-emission control LA Basin would've convinced a blind man of that unless you consider air you can see, smell, taste and that likely causes health issues a good thing.
Yes, you see improvements, but because you don't know what I'm talking about, you have no idea how expensive emmission control devices have become or how difficult it is for manufacturers to comply with increasingly more rigid requirements. Current automotive emmission standards have little to do with actual air quality and a lot to do with environmental whackos and their vision of a deindustrialized utopia.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Consumer demand gave us American automobiles we didn't have to send off to the bone yard when they hit 80K miles because the engine was knocking, smoking and leaking or the trans simply took a huge dump.
Forcing the development of pre-selected green energy winners through government regulation ensures the most cost effective and practical solutions are discarded in favor of the more politically driven alternatives.
VERY TRUE!

The manufacturing sector only makes what it can sell, and without consumer demand, it cannot operate. The research and development sector can only progress upon the path that which the manufacturing sector and consumer demand (or presumed demand) dictates.

Can someone think of a way to reshape that paradigm so that consumer demand, manufacturing, and development work in harmony for a prosperous future for our children's children?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
As I've posted numerous times in the past I'm all for the removal of ALL subsidies to private industry. It breeds corruption and waste.

Having said that the subsidies for fossil fuels are small when you look at output. Basing this on 2007 figures and assuming that cost would then shift to the consumer if they dropped the coal subsidy the average consumer might pay something like 20 cents extra a month on their electric bill. If you drop the petroleum subsidies you might pay fractions of penny extra on one gallon of gas.
I notice that you left out agricultural subsidies.

Agricultural Subsidies | Downsizing the Federal Government

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture distributes between $10 billion and $30 billion in cash subsidies to farmers and owners of farmland each year.1 The particular amount depends on market prices for crops, the level of disaster payments, and other factors. More than 90 percent of agriculture subsidies go to farmers of five crops—wheat, corn, soybeans, rice, and cotton.2 More than 800,000 farmers and landowners receive subsidies, but the payments are heavily tilted toward the largest producers.3

Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Geothermal power stations can cause earthquakes, according to a study on Germany's first such plant in Landau.
No such problems with solar
I believe I heard some correlation between mining/ petro drilling having similar seismic hangover effect, but it's not definitive proof. Vertical drilling for NG is still too young to be able to track that as potential cause but in the state of Arkansas is the experiment. You don't get to know the material shape of the seismic plate you're standing on until it lets you know it's very unhappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Only in China is hydro power considered renewable energy. My state has a mandate on all power plants, that they must have a certain percentage of renewable energy to comprise their total generation, excluding the power generated by hydro power.
Perhaps they are excluded from improvement because they have already achieved 100% renewable by virtue of design?
Quote:
Wrong, it's because they can make money. China apparently can't ramp up coal production fast enough. They do have plenty of their own reserves, 2nd or 3rd on the list behind the US. They have a lot of coal.

I'll repeat again, China puts online a new coal plant every few weeks.
They're focusing with laser like precision on energy independence based on watching world history. Recent global activity squeezed & limiting growth by resources made scarce via price manipulation at a time when they are striving to get away from 3rd world status. When they are able to achieve energy independence economic sanctions have little to no sting. See historic record of America and OPEC, only America didn't take the shot across the bow in the 70's seriously enough. Our foreign policy is hobbled over this issue until it's corrected. Coal for them is an insurance policy and a base load stabilizer. It's not a cash cow.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Every KW-Hr collected or generated by a solar or wind power plant is a KW-Hr not purchased from the oil or coal industries. This is why "Alternate Energy" is not supported.

France is probably the best example of switching to non petroleum based energy system. When the Algerian revolt cut off their sources of cheap oil they decided to invest heavily in conventional nuclear power and electric high speed rail. Now they do not use oil to make electricity and have a transport system that is cheaper than driving and as fast as aircraft.

We need to do the same but I doubt if we will unless the petroleum investors find a way to profit from the alternate energy. Our policies are determined by the needs of money not the needs of the country.
That last statement is the argument against the 'trusts' in the early 1900's pulling American strings and making our economy anemic. We have in effect allowed GOP to sell us through writ/ tax code/ policy another version of protecting hoarders. Lessons for those hoarders were apparently lost- the harder you try to stuff your mattress, the more the value of that pile depreciates and your money becomes no good in this town. Money only has value when it's circulating in the economy, like wild birds who fail to thrive in captivity.

There's some warped business model void of ethics entitling itself to steal running amok in right wing language. Negative competition, zero sum games, robbing people of their worth to feel taller... they appear convinced that crony capitalism is capitalism. I don't think meaningful discussions are possible about economics or policy until that's dealt with and put to bed permanently. It doesn't seem to be evidence enough that most holding these views have a century or better pernicious levels of low education and poverty. They seemingly take credit for all the innovations and marvels of the nation having little to no hand in the effort or the bankrolling of endeavors. Have they been conditioned to prefer feudalism/ sharecropping? Your observations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies